Defensive Carry banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I did our weekend target time, she was solid with my Gen 4. After she mentioned getting her own personal carry and the store let her handle a Gen 3 after she tried some smaller 9's that she hated. She loved the way it felt, gen 3 over 4 which is fine. That said, to all the ladies out there how is it for a carry? This would be a bag/purse. She didn't like the smaller Glocks in her hand and is very comfortable handling arms to my surprise. Advice to carry, if she is out and about how does she carry to best self defend?

·
Registered
21,343 Posts
No way she could like that big ol 2x4 grip and its angle and shoot well with it!

J/K! It's really nice that she found something that she takes to.
Personally, I love the grip of the Gen 3, and prefer that generation to the G4's.

Maybe shootergranny will drop by to offer some female perspective.
There are also a lot of great female oriented YouTube videos she may get some ideas from.

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
Gen 3 is me! Unless it is Gen 2 which I like even better.

I carry IWB usually, and have found that the Vedder Light Tuck is the slimmest, most adjustable, most comfortable holster of ALL OF THEM that fill my holster drawer.

I know a lot of women like belly bands. I hate them. Or they hate me, whatever.

BTW - when Gramps brought me home a piece of crap for my first semi-auto, and we took it back to the store and I GOT TO CHOOSE, "they" tried to talk me into the really small guns. I CHOSE a Glock 19. So your wife is not the only one.

Reactions: G26Raven and G-man*

·
Registered
438 Posts
Bigger frame and some slide mass makes for better shooting. The Gen 3 is nice. I really need to compare the Gen 4...

·
Registered
11,875 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like my Gen 4 G19 actually shoots easier (less recoil) than my full size Gen 3 G17. I've never measured it, but that's my subjective feeling.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I personally prefer the grip texture of the Gen IV...but with a Talon grip decal on it, I am perfectly happy carrying a Gen III G19. If she found a Glock she likes, then 95% of the battle is already won.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Mrs. GT was/is so fond of my G19 Gen 3 that she; declared eminent domain, it disappeared into her holster and I...haven't laid eyes on it since! :blink:

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
484 Posts
My wife loves her G19 Gen 3 but we got hers before Gen 4 was even thought of. We spent time (a year or so) finding a pistol for her to try. She's recoil sensitive so we had to take that into effect. We finally moved to a place that was near a place that actually had rentals. She shot some of my pistols but didn't like them. Some of it was caliber but just holding them they didn't click. So we went to the range and rented some pistols and lo and behold she loved the G19. She said the grip felt good, it was easy to hold, shoot, and the recoil didn't bother her. She also shoots very well with it.

I was surprised that she would pick that though if you shoot isosceles or modified isosceles your wrists tend to match the Glock angle. after she got hers I started to like them to (I was anti before). Now it has become my go to pistols.

My wife has the Gen 3 G19 and I have the Gen 4. I have shot them side by side using ammo from the same box and I can't tell a difference in recoil. I think it just boils down to if you want to be able to switch sides with the mag release or if you want to be able to adjust the backstraps. I ended up using the strap that makes it the same size of the Gen 3. I do like the extra texturing on the Gen 4 though.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
My wife is very weight sensitive. She likes the 26 in her car but when biking or carrying in her purse it is the 42. It's kind of funny because she is a gym rat, workout includes weights but I'm not getting into that argument again. I'm old but I'm trainable.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
In the G-19 platform I prefer my Gen 3 version...however in the G-26 platform I prefer my Gen 4 version w/ beavertail backstrap! Different strokes for different folks:wave:

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Despite my wife having a Taurus .357, PCR

A Ruger LC9 and a few other guns along the that include
the Glock 42 (I still have holsters) and others.

She loves the Gen 3 Glock 19, and can't shake it.

After my nightmare G43, I'll never buy another Glock
in my lifetime, but she's her own girl.

That 5.5 pounds is sweet as pie for her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts