Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have a Ruger 22/45, and its simply the best .22 I have ever used, Light trigger, super easy to rack and operate, and by far my most accurate handgun by a big margin. Eats any crap ammo i throw in it, and always cycles flawlessly. So smooth..
I am talking my wife into a nice .22 for herself thats not so big and heavy as mine..
She operates the 22/45 very well even with her very severe arthritis, and shoots it very accurately.
However,for all its great attributes, the 22/45 is a big heavy gun for a .22 LR.. Almost comically so, for a small woman.
What I would like to find is a somewhat smaller ,somewhat shorter barreled .22 thats just as smooth and user friendly as the 22/45.
She shoots all our guns well, but I can tell she is interested in a .22 of her own, tailored more to her limited hand strength and agility.
We had a walther .22 that was not too awful except it refused to cycle anything but tip top of the line .22 LR rounds.. If you dared try to run plain old bulk .22 target ammo, it jammed, stovepiped, and refused to cycle every round or two...
Any ideas on a really good .22 semi auto for a woman thats smaller and lighter than a 22/45???...... bob

·
Premium Member
8,312 Posts
My new Mark IV 22/45 Light weighs 25 ounces.

2017 May Mark IV granny 3.jpg

If you want smaller and lighter than that, look at the S&W M&P .22 compact. It eats anything, according to the people I've talked to who have them. I don't like the trigger, but that's not because it is a strong trigger pull, it's because it's long and to me feels gritty. NOT the regular size of this gun. The compact.

For racking the slide back to slide lock, spend $20 and get the proper size Handi Racker for the S&W or other non-Mark series semi auto. Best piece of plastic I've spent money on. Even with a slide that I can't rack, racking it back to slide lock for loading the magazine is a breeze (almost) and then I can usually sling shot it to load the first round.

Reactions: BadgerJ and drift

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've got a walther p22, and I like it but as you have said - it is really ammo picky and can be a jam-a-matic. My buddy has a ruger sr22 and I prefer it quite a bit over my walther. Very reliable and accurate, plus not all that big of a package.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I also suggest the M&P22C. At first, my wife was resistant to getting a "compact"

Got one for my wife and she loves it now.

Easy to rack and has eaten every type of HV RN 22 ammo we've fed it. Been 100% reliable.
Accurate and easy to shoot.

Target @ 3,5,7 yrds.

M&P22C

·
Registered
681 Posts
I've been doing a lot of homework on this one. I'm going to be buying another 22 pistol in the next couple of weeks. I'm going with the M&P Compact. I have only heard great things about them. They feel great and there is nothing to racking the slide.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
PPK/S 22lr .Easy to load and rack and small and compact for carry ...

Or a m&p 22lr

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
+1 on the M&P Compact .22! Mine has been used by about 160 + students in my CCW classes that I teach. Mine will shoot crappy bulk ammo and is not finicky like the Walther/Umarex P-22 that it replaced. (Don't get the full sized M&P 22 it is NOT made by S&W it is made by Umarex!) One neat thing about the M&P Compact is that is very similar to the Shield and the controls/ ergonomics are very similar. It also will fit in most Shield holsters. Good luck!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The SR22 has the easiest to load .22lr mags I've owned. Has a big thumb lever to pull the follower down. The pistol is lightweight, has good sights and is also one of the easiest to take apart. For those challenged by manual dexterity the SR22 is a good choice.
I had been thinking about the SR22 but have not handled one.. I heard good things only about them... I have narrowed it down to the SR 22, M&P Compact.22, or possibly a MKII 22/45 Lite.. Thanks for the suggestions... bob

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Well, among those ^ selections, there's only ONE that I'd classify as "accurate". The MKII 22/45 Lite. No flame intended, but the first two are (IMHO) trainer/plinkers. If your wife is interested in honing her "tiny group" skills? She'll be a mile-ahead with the MKII. :yup:

Reactions: PAcanis
1 - 20 of 57 Posts