Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
So, I am guessing you have seen the movie, "WILD HOGS". If you haven't you probably know the basic idea. So, here is my question.

Background:
You and a few friends want to start a motorcycle riding club. You are very careful to make sure you stay away from certain things that may anger the 1%er clubs. For example, colors used, no state rocker, No MC patch, etc. Certainly no 1% patch. You try to let it be known, you are a weekend riding club open to all, and not any type of "gang" or MC. You wear your new patch to local events to advertise your new club, and make friends. If you are lost with these terms, sorry. But you can still give your opinion as you see it.

Scenario:
You are at a bike night event. You are by yourself. You are armed with a gun, knife, flashlight, and pepper spray. You are an average size, mid 40's male. Average condition. You are standing around looking at bikes, when a local 1%er club rolls in. About five members. You note them, and keep them in mind, but do not talk to them. You also do not avoid them, but give them space. One of them notices your patch, and asks about it. You explain it is a weekend riding club, not a Motorcycle Club, etc. They seem okay with that. A little later, you decide to leave. As you walk to your bike, you find 3 of the 1%ers standing in front of it. One of them is :censored: on your bike. They see you, and approach. They say that you can't wear that patch in "their" town, state, etc. And if they see you again, they will take it from you by force.

You are at a gas station the next weekend, about 11 pm. You are wearing your patch. The same guys see your bike and proceed to block it in while you are inside. You come out and find this happening. You are also caught off guard as another comes up behind you. These guys are already too close, they are here for your patch. One guy pulls a knife and says he will cut them off of you!

Or, he says, you have to give me your vest (your gun, and flashlight are in it, he doesn't know that).

Or they grab at you and try to remove your vest.

I know the best answer is don't wear the patch, but come on. This is America, if I can't wear a patch, who is to say they won't say I can't wear the color blue anymore in their area? Where does it stop? What to do?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
So, I am guessing you have seen the movie, "WILD HOGS". If you haven't you probably know the basic idea. So, here is my question.

Background:
You and a few friends want to start a motorcycle riding club. You are very careful to make sure you stay away from certain things that may anger the 1%er clubs. For example, colors used, no state rocker, No MC patch, etc. Certainly no 1% patch. You try to let it be known, you are a weekend riding club open to all, and not any type of "gang" or MC. You wear your new patch to local events to advertise your new club, and make friends. If you are lost with these terms, sorry. But you can still give your opinion as you see it.

Scenario:
You are at a bike night event. You are by yourself. You are armed with a gun, knife, flashlight, and pepper spray. You are an average size, mid 40's male. Average condition. You are standing around looking at bikes, when a local 1%er club rolls in. About five members. You note them, and keep them in mind, but do not talk to them. You also do not avoid them, but give them space. One of them notices your patch, and asks about it. You explain it is a weekend riding club, not a Motorcycle Club, etc. They seem okay with that. A little later, you decide to leave. As you walk to your bike, you find 3 of the 1%ers standing in front of it. One of them is ******* on your bike. They see you, and approach. They say that you can't wear that patch in "their" town, state, etc. And if they see you again, they will take it from you by force.

You are at a gas station the next weekend, about 11 pm. You are wearing your patch. The same guys see your bike and proceed to block it in while you are inside. You come out and find this happening. You are also caught off guard as another comes up behind you. These guys are already too close, they are here for your patch. One guy pulls a knife and says he will cut them off of you!

Or, he says, you have to give me your vest (your gun, and flashlight are in it, he doesn't know that).

Or they grab at you and try to remove your vest.

I know the best answer is don't wear the patch, but come on. This is America, if I can't wear a patch, who is to say they won't say I can't wear the color blue anymore in their area? Where does it stop? What to do?
Best course of action- if you're thinking about a patch of any kind (representing any kind of club) maybe try checking with the prevalent club(s) in your area ('Angels, Outlaws, Warlocks, etc). But, that is the main reason I don't have ANY patches on my vest other than one "In Memory Of".

It doesn't matter what your patch is, what kind of affiliation it advertises- PATCHES MAKE TROUBLE.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Patches don't make trouble - stupid people make trouble. And vest 'gun pockets' don't make for a quick draw.
If you anticipate getting into situations that may compromise your weekend ride, then you might be better off with a Honda. Like the old ad says, "You meet the nicest people on a Honda".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think these are all good answers. So, basically, we will just ride together and not worry about any type of patch. I believe this to be the best advice. We don't need a patch to know who we are, and it may bring unwanted trouble, and nothing good. Thanks guys, I figured this was the case.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Wear what you want! Shoot people that pull knives on you! 1%'ers bleed like anyone else! I think even a 9mm works on them! BTW, "Wild Hogs" was a great movie! Marisa Tomei.....WOW!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
BTW, after the :censored: on my bike incident, those guys wouldn't be up and around at a gas station in just three weeks!

Reactions: BkCo1

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
There is a lot of politics involved in MC. The average person has no idea what they are getting into when they decide to start a local club. Every member in a local "riding" club is one less member for the MC. Usually it is just a matter of time before one of the big clubs shows up and starts setting rules. Next thing you know everyone is getting patched over, then weeded out.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
Just avoid biker rallys.

Though the majority of people who ride are decent hardworking people, bike rallies, events or whatever you want to call them attract a lot of unsavory characters.

Stupid people doing stupid things in stupid places. All present at biker rallies.

Reactions: RebelRider

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Unless your group of riding friends is so big that you have a hard time remembering which guy on a bike is your friend and which is not, my suggestion would be to ride with your friends and don't go to places that are likely to bring you into conflict with those who relish violence for it's own sake.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Depends on who you're dealing with. Id familiarize yourself with the clubs in your area. You wont be dealing with just those few if things go south and if you hurt or kill one, that could be even worse for you. Wearing a patch even for an RC may be hazardous to your health. As dumb as it seems that's not something some people are willing to play around with. Some clubs will give you approval if you approach them first or may require you to wear a support patch in their area.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Local bars around here have signs along the road advertising 'Bikers Welcome'. BIG sign at the door says 'NO CUTS , NO COLORS !' You want the 'rush' of running with hard core bikers be prepared to play by their rules . It's no place for wannabe yuppies with livin this dream on their bucket list .

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
If you want to start riding group with friendly people do it. But forget about the patch thing. Wear a wind breaker with a name on it. Starting a club has more to it than what you have envisioned. It take a lot of work and people willing to work with you. Here in CO some Marines started a mc club and they were approached by the Sons Of Silence and told they could not wear the colors they had for their patches. I hate to say this but the Marines caved. I guess they did not want to deal with the SOS. The Marines probably could have killed them. Just do a "lets go riding group". This not the answer to your question. I cannot put my answer on this forum.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
If you want to start riding group with friendly people do it. But forget about the patch thing. Wear a wind breaker with a name on it. Starting a club has more to it than what you have envisioned. It take a lot of work and people willing to work with you. Here in CO some Marines started a mc club and they were approached by the Sons Of Silence and told they could not wear the colors they had for their patches. I hate to say this but the Marines caved. I guess they did not want to deal with the SOS. The Marines probably could have killed them. Just do a "lets go riding group". This not the answer to your question. I cannot put my answer on this forum.
That was nice of those Marines to give those guys a pass like that! Maybe the colors were too similar to the SoS or something. I would respect a request like that from any 1%, riding club, or any club for that matter.

I've tangled with Marines and 1%ers.....I'd rather tangle with the 1%ers!!!!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
???????????

I grew up in Southern California in the 60's.
Even knew a lot of Hell's Angels back when they were called Bad Guys.(PG Version)

Even rode dirt bikes through the Charlie Mansons Ranch/Commune back in 69 when they were killing people in LA.

Have ridden hundreds of thousands of miles all over the country.
Even Colorado!
And now I live in Texas where a lot of 1% ers ride.
The Bandito's are our local Club where I live.

Also, I ride Metric Bikes. Always have.
Euros and Japanese! Ducati's, Triumphs, Maico's, Bultaco's, KTM's, Yamaha's, Honda's, Kawasaki's oh and one Hodaka.
And countless scooters. Rode a Lambretta to High School!
Currently there are 11 bikes in my stable. Mostly Dual Sport, ADV and Dirt Bikes.
Have built some NICE Metric Cruisers in my day.
Never owned a Harley, worked on one once. Bolted the chrome back on for the guy.
My son has one, but he's far from a 1% er.
He's a Pastor with a Mega Church here in Texas.

I ride with groups and solo.

Some of the Groups I ride with wear Club patches. Some don't.
None Outlaw!
And have never had any issues with so called 1% ers.

But of course I don't frequent Biker Bars nor talk trash with any of them.
I don't do many Rally's, but when I do and folks there start getting drunk, I go elsewhere.

Fact of the matter is, I go somewhere else even when Fishermen, Campers or Baseball Fans start getting drunk.
I hate Drunks!

Talked to a lot of hard core Bikers at Gas Stations over the years and have yet to experience anyone with your issues.

Funny thing though, here in Texas everybody is armed, and we all know it.

I am more on edge around the BLM groups than I am of Bikers of any percentage!

But you should know I've been mugged twice in my life.
And they weren't Bikers that did the crimes.

I could see where if you dressed and acted like a Bad A** you might someday have an issue with real ones.
But, Mutual Respect works for me.

Just so you know.
I have a pony tail length hair, short grey beard, but no tattoos.
Don't lump me in with "THEM" I'm just stuck in the 60's in my old age. HA!
Kind of a Sean Connery look.

I don't wear MC "Vest". But my High Viz Armor jacket does have some patches on it.
But not MC "Outlaw" Club patches.

Never seen the need to portray myself as a Bad "A" Biker Boy!
And have never met a Fellow Motorcycle Rider I couldn't have a civil conversation with.

But maybe it's just me!

My Dad always said, "Don't Sweat the Petty stuff, and Pet the Sweaty Stuff."

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
We see groups riding all over on the weekends. It's not unusual to go for a drive on Sunday and see five or six different motorcycle clubs out for rides. Some are from local police departments that have started their own clubs. I doubt that the hardcore bikers care unless you start selling drugs.

Reactions: Bigsteve113

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I went camping with some friends in New Mexico about 40 years ago and we stopped to eat at a café in Truth or Consequences. One of the guys I was with was flirting with a waitress and a big biker took offense. He came over to the table and told him to leave. My buddy was about 5'8" and 140 lbs. The biker was almost a foot taller and 150 lbs heavier. He looked like he was high and he had a big hunting knife on his belt. My buddy started arguing with the biker and we dragged him out. Some things just aren't worth fighting over.

I worked for an old Colonel in the AF and he told me that I needed to learn to pick my fights. Even if you win the battle, you can loose the war.

Suppose you stand your ground and end up hurting one of the bikers. It probably won't end there. Police get involved and your name gets tossed into the public record. Now the rest of the bikers know who you are and where you live. On the other hand, they could just kill you outright and you would avoid the long term consequences.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts