Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and Gents:
I am in need of a new Wilderness instructor belt and am trying to decide between the three-stitch and the five-stitch. I need a belt that has the necessary \"vertical\" stiffness for carry (1911), but is flexible enough to thread through belt loops, holster slots, mag pouch slots, etc. My Wilderness CSM (Combat Shooter\'s Model) is a little too stiff. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

SSKC

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
I have a black five-stitch and I love it. I carry a full sized Kimber Custom TLE II or a Kimber Pro Eclipse (which is a bit heavier than the bigger gun) and have never had any sag or difficulty threading it through any of my gear. It is stiff, but not overly so.

I bought mine locally so I could try a couple of different ones and be sure and get the correct size. I may get one of the new Coyote brown models as well.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bumper,

Thanks - that\'s what I needed to know. The order goes in today (got to give Santa a hand, you know...);)

SSKC

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
You won\'t be disappointed in the Wilderness belt. Enjoy!

C

·
0 Posts
I agree with Bumper on the Wilderness Belt. They are simply hard to beat. For those of you that have visited Gunsite, they have one with a tiny raven stamped into it. I may be being an elitist, but I like my little raven :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have two of the Wilderness belts and my wife 1. I have both widths and I wear them all the time unless I am wearing a suit. The are the most comfortable belts I have ever worn..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Originally posted by meme
because a \"hand-on-gun\" start (from a discrete position) is worth .50 second, and that\'s either a very careful shot at the head, or 2-3 more shots at the chest. If you even fold back your outer garment, showing your belt gun, that is \"brandishing a weapon\" in many legal jurisdictions, and enough to lose your CCW permit.

I carried a 1911 for several years, IWB, and then a lw Commander for many more years. With the right load in a pocket auto, you are better off with the pocket gun, and it\'s so much handier to always have with you, there\'s no comparison.

Now that you can have a 9mm with less wt and bulk than most 380\'s, why not have some real power in your pocket?
That MAY be true IF your hand doesn\'t get stuck in the pocket trying to get it out, or your pocket holster doesn\'t shift. That also applies to the Smartcarry where sometimes the strap will get caught on your thumb preventing a fast draw of the weapon. IWB or OWB (shoulder holsters included) while being more apt to print will usually be faster in getting your gun out than pocket carry.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Meme, sorry no I speak from years of Military and Civilian firearms training and teaching. Most American made pants pockets are either too tight because of the way they are cut and form on the hips or in the case of the newest Khaki style pants are just too loose.
Most people that carry small pocket pistols are NOT going to go thru the trouble of creating a dedicated pocket for their pistol. They just want something with them to feel safer.
Having personally been thru a shooting I do know of what I speak. Thanks for your comments and snide comments.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Can anyone :bowdown: (Bumper, CHPBill, Hitman, Omen) furnish me with a URL for this Wilderness belt you are all raving about???

~A

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
You didn\'t beat Scott, he beat ya to the draw :p

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Tango Mucho Gents...

~A

·
Registered
75 Posts
I own three Wilderness belts, two Black five stitch, and a Kahki three stitch.
The diffrence between the three and five stitch is neglegible.
If you haven\'t tried their Packpacker holster, try one out!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the three-stitch

I ended up getting the three-stitch, in black. My previous one was the Combat Shooter\'s Model (CSM), in khaki (I chose khaki to avoid the \"tactical\" look as much as possible). My new black one is flexible enough to thread through belt slots and loops fairly easily, but is still plenty stiff enough to support my sidearm.

As a side note: I have noticed that when combined with a black holster and magpouch and worn with a black t-shirt and blue jeans, my black pistol blends in with the rest of the stuff and doesn\'t stand out in case of an inadvertant \"flash.\" :O Hopefully that will never be a factor, though.

Thanks for all the input, folks.

SSKC

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.