Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the gun show in Raleigh last weekend and saw a pistol I have not seen in many years, the Wildey semi-auto pistol. It is a large pistol almost in size as the Desert Eagle and designed primarily for hunting using proprietary cartridges such as the 45 Wildey Magnum, the 475 Wildey Magnum and a few others plus the barrels and magazines were interchangeable. I didn’t think to ask the price but I do remember back when they were available new they were quite pricey and too much for a young SSgt to afford.

Wildey.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildey

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
.....a novelty item.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
Death wish 3 ..Fun fact that was Bronson personal handgun he used not a prop

They are now back in production and making new guns ..For now they are making and selling new parts and mags etc then the guns

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
Wildey Guns
and good gosh they are bringing back the 44 auto mag ..Hum

makes a real mess you see ....

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
.....although my son does have the Desert Eagle and loves shootin' that beast.....44mag.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
WrongRecroom...you beat me to it...I was just about to post that clip.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
I've never run into a used one. Every once in a while I look them up on the auction sites just to see.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Sweet looking gun. I have never herd of one of those.
Their claim to fame was the posted movie. Otherwise I'm not sure how many would have heard of them that have.
Charles Bronson's Death Wish movies, in VHS form, were a deer camp staple.

·
Super Moderator
18,789 Posts
Oh, the Wildey was all the rage in the usual run of gun rags back in the day. I "heard" that a fellow club member had one, but never saw it.

Would like to take one out for a test drive, if for no other reason than to see what the fuss was all about.

Never thought about it before but the pistol looks like a 1911 gun mated to the barrel of a trap gun.

·
Registered
20,049 Posts
I always wanted one chambered in the 44 AMP.

·
Super Moderator
19,880 Posts
I met Wildey Moore decades ago at a couple of town-hall affairs hosted by our Congress critter in NW CT. Pretty soft-spoken guy, and very articulate. He was working on some hardware "for the government" he said, and he was asking the Rep about SBA support. No, he didn't bring any samples along, but when he spoke up and identified himself, I'm sure I was the only one in the room who knew what business he was in!

·
Registered
20,049 Posts
Didn't Lee Juras have a contract to make some ammo for the guns?

Reactions: gasmitty

·
Administrator
144,131 Posts
I never saw one live and up close.
I am another individual who could not have afforded one back then.
Didn't have that kind of discretionary income.

·
Super Moderator
19,880 Posts
Didn't Lee Juras have a contract to make some ammo for the guns?
Oh, boy... this question gave me a reason to paw through the library here for "Handgun Hunting" by George Nonte & Lee Jurras, "Mister Super-Vel." It was published in 1975, but pawing through it I could find no reference to the Wildey magnums. They probably came later.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts