Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Never cared for Wiley Clapp or the .40...but that is JMHO... I don't really like the 9, either...but I will take it over the .40.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
His article is meant to generate discussion nothing more or less. What falls from grace may or may not return to grace at some point in the future. Thus the 9mm-Luger was displaced by the 40S&W and now the 9mm-Luger has come full circle. I personally have never owned, fired or used a handgun chambered in 40S&W. I dwell in the house of the 9mm-Luger and 45ACP. On balance I do find his articles in the NRA publications worthy of reading.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Bigger bullets are better??????????????????????????????? :disappointed: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But, ... but, ... but, .... 9mm got exclusive advanced bullet tech that makes it equal to 40 & 45 :tounge-in-cheek: :smirk:

The service calibers all perform "about the same" ... :lol: :laughing: :baddevil:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Gun magazines exist to stir up those sort of arguments ;-)

I bought a Glock 22 several years ago as sort of an "up-gun" from my 9mms, and have been very pleased with it.

·
Registered
10,844 Posts
Bigger bullets are better??????????????????????????????? :disappointed: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But, ... but, ... but, .... 9mm got exclusive advanced bullet tech that makes it equal to 40 & 45 :tounge-in-cheek: :smirk:

The service calibers all perform "about the same" ... :lol: :laughing: :baddevil:
So is hitting someone with a golf ball better than a .45 because its bigger?

I became a believer in the 40S&W after shooting steel. The power of that round compared to 9mm is indisputable.
steel is not a human body.

Reactions: AzQkr and Phaedrus

·
Registered
44,750 Posts
.45-70 derringer . . . go big or go home, but make that first shot count!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the .40 but I love its bigger counterpart the 10mm!

In any case, the never ending caliber wars continue but I still have yet to come across anyone willing to get shot with any of them including .22LR!

Pick your poison and go with it!

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
So is hitting someone with a golf ball better than a .45 because its bigger?
I'm comparing bullet to bullet, not golf ball to bullet; Federal makes HST in 9/40/45 compare their data (I'll make it easy)
Law Enforcement - Federal Premium LE, Speer LE, BLACKHAWK!, Eagle - Load Comparison
Heavy clothed gel:
147 gr. 9mm - 12.5'' / .69
180 gr. 40 S&W - 12.5'' / .80
230 gr. 45 acp - 13.5'' / .87

I'll not be argumentative for the sake of it, really anything could matter: capacity, recoil, bullet diameter.
Someone not "into" guns (many police officers, my wife, ___) is likely best served by a 9mm pistol.
Someone willing to sacrifice 2 rounds (Glock 19/23 or 17/22) that practices may be better served with a bullet that makes a bigger hole.
It is incorrect to say that 9mm performs the same as 40 or 45 with equal bullets, therefore "about the same" is cliche and not inaccurate.
Its as accurate as saying a Honda Ridgeline is "about the same" as a Ford F150, both are "trucks" have a bed, will get you where you are going, the Ridgeline meets the needs of the majority of people who buy a truck. :wink:

·
Registered
10,844 Posts
I'm comparing bullet to bullet, not golf ball to bullet; Federal makes HST in 9/40/45 compare their data (I'll make it easy)
Law Enforcement - Federal Premium LE, Speer LE, BLACKHAWK!, Eagle - Load Comparison
Heavy clothed gel:
147 gr. 9mm - 12.5'' / .69
180 gr. 40 S&W - 12.5'' / .80
230 gr. 45 acp - 13.5'' / .87

I'll not be argumentative for the sake of it, really anything could matter: capacity, recoil, bullet diameter.
Someone not "into" guns (many police officers, my wife, ___) is likely best served by a 9mm pistol.
Someone willing to sacrifice 2 rounds (Glock 19/23 or 17/22) that practices may be better served with a bullet that makes a bigger hole.
It is incorrect to say that 9mm performs the same as 40 or 45 with equal bullets, therefore "about the same" is cliche and not inaccurate.
Its as accurate as saying a Honda Ridgeline is "about the same" as a Ford F150, both are "trucks" have a bed, will get you where you are going, the Ridgeline meets the needs of the majority of people who buy a truck. :wink:
There is a lot more to it than just being a bigger bullet. There are 9mm rounds that out perform .40 and .45 rounds. Thats a fact. The penetration depths that you mention are all deeper than any vital organs that you would need to hit, and are measured on a gelatin block that is far different from the human body.

The reason I mentioned the golfball is because a bullet is simply a projectile. There is no magic to it. A bullet does damage the same way a golfball does. It hits something going really fast. So to simply say a bullet is better because its bigger, while ignoring other factors(physics) is an incorrect statement.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts