·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Sounds like it only applies to Arizona nudists.:tumbleweed::31:

Seems that there's usually a thread of truth in most of the old folklore tales. I remember a lot of Florida construction workers that carried coffee in their thermos in summers because of this.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
OMG, I saw this very subject discussed on the TV show "Dragnet" with Jack Webb back in the 1950s. During one entire episode Sgt. Joe Friday's partner was trying to convince him that drinking something hot on hot day will make you feel cooler as, he explained, then there is less of a temperature difference between your insides and your outsides.

I don't know why that particular conversation stuck with me through all these years, but it has. Where is Mythbusters when we need them?

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
A hot beverage will raise your core temp, which fools your body into opening up blood vessels to dump more heat.

Wearing long sleeves also helps keep you cool, as it prevents rapid evaporation of sweat...

Reactions: MMinSC and piguy

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't know about coffee. But I just love a nice bowl of chile that makes me break out in a sweat.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
and yet it is the rapid evaporation of sweat that cools you down....
Sort of.

Saw a guy, this week, at the gym who was leaking like a fire hydrant. Wasn't evaporating a bit. (Indeed, there was a pretty good-sized puddle beneath him, under the machine.)

The water transfers the heat with it, as it comes out of the pores ... whether or not it evaporates.

/pedantics
/apologies
/too.much.coffee.today

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Sort of.

Saw a guy, this week, at the gym who was leaking like a fire hydrant. Wasn't evaporating a bit. (Indeed, there was a pretty good-sized puddle beneath him, under the machine.)

The water transfers the heat with it, as it comes out of the pores ... whether or not it evaporates.

/pedantics
/apologies
/too.much.coffee.today
Actually, to cool the body the sweat does need to evaporate. In high humidity evaporation is less and causes the body to maintain more heat. The lower the humidity, the cooler the body gets from sweat evaporation.

The techno nerds at MIT have this to explain it.

Why do we sweat more in high humidity? | MIT School of Engineering

·
Registered
135 Posts
I drink hot coffee year round but that could be OCD. So in January should I drink ice water to feel warmer?

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Actually, to cool the body the sweat does need to evaporate.
So, given that the heat is transferred through the water to the outside of the body, isn't it a bit irrelevant as to whether that outside water then evaporates or drips? The heat's been removed, either way, no matter that there might appear to be a "cool" sensation during evaporation that doesn't occur during "leaking."

A bit like a radiator system in a car. Once the heat-laden water's been removed from the engine, it doesn't much matter if that water's heat is lost via a crack in the tubing or cooled in the radiator. That heat's been transported off the engine either way.

Right?

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
So, given that the heat is transferred through the water to the outside of the body, isn't it a bit irrelevant as to whether that outside water then evaporates or drips? The heat's been removed, either way, no matter that there might appear to be a "cool" sensation during evaporation that doesn't occur during "leaking."

A bit like a radiator system in a car. Once the heat-laden water's been removed from the engine, it doesn't much matter if that water's heat is lost via a crack in the tubing or cooled in the radiator. That heat's been transported off the engine either way.

Right?
Not really but hey, when ya got good coffee or a cold beer it doesn't seem to matter in the big scheme of things.:bier:

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
and yet it is the rapid evaporation of sweat that cools you down....
Sort of. You need the sweat to remain on your skin to do its job. If you expose that sweat to direct sunlight, it will evaporate before it has a chance to allow cooling to effectively take place. Despite all the backwards thinking, there is a reason the Arabs wear robes... They allow airflow to slowly evaporate sweat, while shading your skin from the radiant heat of direct sun.

Reactions: Aanderzz

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Not really ...
So, when heat-laden water's been removed from the engine, the heat remains in the engine if that water is evaporating elsewhere versus dripping on the floor?? The heat's still outside the engine, taken there via the movement of the water, no matter what happens to that water on the outside.

How's the body's head-laden sweat much different, once it's outside the body?

·
Administrator
143,583 Posts
The faster that you begin to sweat in hot temperatures the quicker that you will start to cool down.

So if drinking hot coffee makes you break out in a sweat then....maybe.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I spent a few months in Mauritania, Morocco, Tunisia, and that area. They drank hot mint tea claiming it helps keep you cool. I could never really tell the difference. The Sahara is pretty darn hot no matter what you do. The Lawrence of Arabia head thing that can wrap around to also cover your face seemed to help. Never tried the man dress.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts