Defensive Carry banner

181 - 200 of 229 Posts

·
Banned
1,100 Posts
Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
I am having a change of heart.
After reading all the other posts I have come to the conclusion that my thinking was flawed.
Any restrictions on our freedoms. Travel, closing private business etc. needs to be voluntary not mandated by the government.
Fear affected my thinking, fear for my family and my finances.

The same government that I do not trust with my second amendment protections I was willing to trust them with my first amendment rights.
That is what I love about DC. Through our discourse we some times come to a different conclusion than when we started to think about the problem.
Thank y'all.
Bold added by me for emphasis.....

I have great respect for those who can set aside their fears, their concerns, their worries, even their past conclusions and open their minds to different ways of seeing things in order to form new opinions, perspectives, and beliefs.

You Sir, have my respect.

So what do we do about folks who have some kind of communicable illness and endanger others by traveling, working, or being in public? Do we look to some kind of authority and demand those folks be controlled under penalty of punishment? Or do we acknowledge that those folks have just as much freedom to go about their daily lives as we do and look to ourselves to take the responsibility to protect ourselves by avoiding the sick instead of locking them up?

With freedom (and rights) come responsibilities and one of those responsibilities is to protect freedoms (and rights) even when we don't like who, how, when, where, and why those rights are exercised because if we don't..... we all lose.

·
Banned
117 Posts
Their are too many irresponsible people that for a variety of reasons seem to believe they know best.

That can be applied to both sides of this. I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Too many experts and too many "know it all's"is a bad combination.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Oh Oh
VA called and wants wifey in tomorrow to test for the kootie. She was very ill the end of February and slowly got better over the next few weeks during which time I was ill. Her sick time lasted 3-4 weeks with a cough still lingering, I was ill for a week with a cough lasting another week. We wrote it off to flu. Although lately we are wondering if we might have had something else.

Wifey continued to seek help for the persistant cough including chest X-rays last week. Perhaps the results of those xrays are driving the VA request to see her tomorrow morning?
VA says wifey tested Negative. However they prescribed a broad spectrum antibiotic in an attempt to rid her of the persistent cough that's been nagging her since becoming ill in February. We'll continue to hang at home and minimize trips elsewhere. I really miss the range but with the current cost of ammo can't afford it anyways.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Sounds like you may have the same crud that hit us in Wisconsin to start off the Christmas season. Took most of us 3-4 weeks to shake the damn crap. The antibiotics most likely won't help if that's the case, but they definitely won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
Bold added by me for emphasis.....

I have great respect for those who can set aside their fears, their concerns, their worries, even their past conclusions and open their minds to different ways of seeing things in order to form new opinions, perspectives, and beliefs.

You Sir, have my respect.

So what do we do about folks who have some kind of communicable illness and endanger others by traveling, working, or being in public? Do we look to some kind of authority and demand those folks be controlled under penalty of punishment? Or do we acknowledge that those folks have just as much freedom to go about their daily lives as we do and look to ourselves to take the responsibility to protect ourselves by avoiding the sick instead of locking them up?

With freedom (and rights) come responsibilities and one of those responsibilities is to protect freedoms (and rights) even when we don't like who, how, when, where, and why those rights are exercised because if we don't..... we all lose.
Freedom has consequences. This is one of those consequences. A few days ago when the stay at home orders started getting extended, I was seeing people on Facebook saying “well, if it saves lives then it’s worth it”. By allowing the government to exercise this authority, if it was done enough, eventually, the economic toll would find its way to the health care sector and we would not be able to afford to fund the medical advances or even some treatments anymore, which would result in lives being lost. the recession we are seeing now would then be viewed as an economics state that is too great to believe it’s in reach. A lot of decisions are being made based on what will have the seemingly best positive effect today with no regard for the consequences tomorrow. Unfortunately, our country as a whole is always focused on the short term game, never the long term game.

Reactions: Wolf357 and M1911A1

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Freedom has consequences. This is one of those consequences. A few days ago when the stay at home orders started getting extended, I was seeing people on Facebook saying “well, if it saves lives then it’s worth it”. By allowing the government to exercise this authority, if it was done enough, eventually, the economic toll would find its way to the health care sector and we would not be able to afford to fund the medical advances or even some treatments anymore, which would result in lives being lost. the recession we are seeing now would then be viewed as an economics state that is too great to believe it’s in reach. A lot of decisions are being made based on what will have the seemingly best positive effect today with no regard for the consequences tomorrow. Unfortunately, our country as a whole is always focused on the short term game, never the long term game.
I can't remember where I read it but late last week I saw an article where they projected more lives saved from lower rates of fatalities from car accidents due to the lack of driving people are doing than from lives saved from the virus. I have no idea how true that is or will be but I did find it interesting.

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
I can't remember where I read it but late last week I saw an article where they projected more lives saved from lower rates of fatalities from car accidents due to the lack of driving people are doing than from lives saved from the virus. I have no idea how true that is or will be but I did find it interesting.
It wouldn’t surprise me. When all is said and done, the number of people who die of covid will be a drop in the bucket compared to how many people die throughout the year. I read before that the number of people who have died of this in china(the reported number) is comparable to the number of people who die there in any given 4 hour period.

·
Registered
Various
15,511 Posts
I got an email from my cousin who lives in Chile.

Currently, we are under a 7-day complete lockdown for 7 communities of Santiago (1.3 million
people). We are not allowed to leave our apartment without a “SalvoConducto” (Safe passage) document.
You can’t even take your dog out for a walk without permission!!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
I started this with a completely different mindset. Reading through the so many smart replies shows me what I knew anyway!
We gun people are pretty smart!

Sitting at home, with my wife of 27 years (A new one!) the first one and I long parted company. Looks like we are at home for a full month, no problem. After a nice shower, I went for a tour (Patrol) of our Sub Division, 133 homes today. In my Cherokee, a marked vehicle, my Sons Security Company colores.
Very few residents out and about, some dog walkers. One or two vehicles.

I have not drunk cows milk for years, so last time I was in Corco, I bought two boxes of Soy milk, vanilla flavour.
That's 24 containers, plus when we sent for an order to be delivered, I asked for an extra 12. My wife thinks we have 3 months of breakfasts! Plus I like to drink it. Just a tip. No, we are not just eating Soy Milk and serial!

According to Fox News, looks like my thoughts on bad guys hitting us for grocery is not happening.
But being armed at all times is still my mindset.
Glock 19 Gen 4 a little tricked out. Cell phone. Inside or out.

Keep happy and healthy.

Mike.

·
Registered
33,912 Posts
It wouldn’t surprise me. When all is said and done, the number of people who die of covid will be a drop in the bucket compared to how many people die throughout the year. I read before that the number of people who have died of this in china(the reported number) is comparable to the number of people who die there in any given 4 hour period.
I'm sure there are some "party" people in China who think the number of deaths weren't high enough.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I got an email from my cousin who lives in Chile.
Isn’t Chile dealing with earthquakes now? Thought I had read something about it?

I got an email from an old friend in Australia, haven’t heard from her in years. Funny thing, she was complaining about them not having enough toilet paper.

Apparently the TP shortage is worldwide.

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
I'm sure there are some "party" people in China who think the number of deaths weren't high enough.
Considering the population control policies they've had, you're probably right.

Reactions: OldVet and graydude

·
Registered
Various
15,511 Posts
Isn’t Chile dealing with earthquakes now? Thought I had read something about it?

I got an email from an old friend in Australia, haven’t heard from her in years. Funny thing, she was complaining about them not having enough toilet paper.

Apparently the TP shortage is worldwide.

My cousin was reporting on earthquakes and tsunamis in Chile earlier. He was selected by the New York Mets as a pitcher out of high school, but opted for the seminary and being a missionary. My mother also raised me to go to the seminary and be a missionary, but I joined the Navy. His mother was happy. Her sister, my mother wasn't. Different paths.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
@Sister the whole TP rumor started in Australia. It makes sense they are having a shortage. They would have been hit with the silliness of the situation the hardest.

I'm not seeing a shortage in my neck of the woods in Wisconsin. TP on the shelves at my local grocery store, and a good amount of it.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
@Sister the whole TP rumor started in Australia. It makes sense they are having a shortage. They would have been hit with the silliness of the situation the hardest.

I'm not seeing a shortage in my neck of the woods in Wisconsin. TP on the shelves at my local grocery store, and a good amount of it.

....so your saying, that the whole TP problem started....Down Under? 😆

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

I haven't seen TP on the shelves anywhere in over 2 weeks. We are down to 8 "double" rolls. But that's ok, we've been keeping our corn cobs.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I haven't seen TP on the shelves anywhere in over 2 weeks. We are down to 8 "double" rolls. But that's ok, we've been keeping our corn cobs.

Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty has a YouTube video on what tree leaves are best to use. :yup:

181 - 200 of 229 Posts