Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Yes, it is getting worse.
Just got off the phone with my boss and its changed my mind on this whole pandemic. I think we are being coddled or in other words lied to. No, I don't mean the media making it sound worse than it is I mean the entire Government/medical establishment trying to keep us out of the real loop. I think they have no handle on this thing and I think its mutating beyond what they can even track.
Some domestic travel restrictions are already here and will apply to the general public soon...my opinion based on that phone call. Call me paranoid but, I am arming up. This will get ugly pretty quick as the even keel we seem to be on in most places is going to collapse. I would love to be dead wrong about this but, I am not taking any chances. You can call be a fool later when its all back to sunshine and roses.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Will it get worse? Probably.

When will we hit bottom, and how much worse will it get?

My guess is no earlier than June, and about as bad as the mortgage bubble burst.
Did the the mortgage bubble crises scam have millions of people living paycheck to paycheck become
out of work for months and months before it was over ? I can't remember.

·
Registered
34,001 Posts
Good on people for helping in the drive thru. The interview I watched the trucker stated he had been refused service by walking up.
My wife and I discussed this today, and my answer was the trucker should point out what he is driving, offer to drive it through the drive-through, and say once started there is no backing up. Then he should suggest the worker discuss it with the manager and re-evaluate the drive-through/walk-up policy.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I think it will get worse before it gets better. And the longer it takes for every State in the USA to adhere to a unified strategy of shut downs and sheltering in place the longer the eventual outcome will take.

These days I leave the house once a week to top off the vehicle gas, pantry and fridge. But I do not go into any stores. At her insistence, my wife does that. I'm the driver. That is her choice for the simple reason that I make my living as a voice actor. For the past 45 years I've worked from a home studio and the #1 health goal in our house is no sore throats, no coughs, no sinus infections, no illness.

We haven't used cash for almost 20 years unless absolutely necessary, thus eliminating that petri dish of germs from our world. Everything - and I mean everything - goes on a Cabela's points card for me and an airline miles card for her. And whenever possible we buy on line.

And at the store I wait in the F250 Super Duty with the dogs, ready to help load up when she rolls the cart out, and also ready to handle anything that any oddball human(s) might do to interfere with the social order within my circle.

·
Premium Member
5,795 Posts
Ive come to the conclusion we are damned if we do and damned if we don't. We can continue isolation and lose our economy and means of self-sufficency. People will still die. Or, we can say "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!" We can save our way of life and our economy. People will die, and that may include me. I'd rather go out fighting the damn thing than sitting on my ass while things fall apart.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Our local Publix just got restocked with this exact product. I happened to be in the store this morning, looking for masks, and I saw them stocking the shelves with the AngelSoft product. Yes it was going off the shelves almost as fast as it was being stocked, but no one tried to get a lot. I did get one 12 pack and a pack of Bounty paper towels.

As I was getting back into my car (right, no masks) i saw a Publix tractor trailer pulling onto the lot and around to the loading dock.

I just wish I could get two masks, so I can go to the hospital for my RA infusion next week. Oh well, my wife has been getting the instructions for DIY masks. I guess that's the route we will have to go. She has said she is going to make me a mask with cat fabric.
Take a microfiber towel, the kind that are used to clean glass, and fold it down and then back up. Then fold one end inward and hook a rubber band in the crease. Then fold the other end and use another rubber band. Then put the folded cloth up to your face with the folds towards your face. Then hook the rubber bands over your ears. With a little practice you will fold in the right amount to make a nice fitting mask. Easy and cheap way to make your own mask and it is probably better than any that you could buy. No. 64 size rubber bands work good for me. I have some of those blue microfiber towels that measure about 14" to 15" square. People are donating cloth to seamstresses around here to make the kind of masks that are sewn.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Ive come to the conclusion we are damned if we do and damned if we don't. We can continue isolation and lose our economy and means of self-sufficency. People will still die. Or, we can say "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!" We can save our way of life and our economy. People will die, and that may include me. I'd rather go out fighting the damn thing than sitting on my ass while things fall apart.
You have to realize that this is a critical time to avoid spreading this virus. If they can get everybody to cooperate for a short length of time then it will prevent a very extended amount of suffering for everybody. I think that they will find a treatment or cure for this virus and then the worst will be over, I am hoping and praying that it will happen soon. I wonder how long it will be before we can have social contact after they declare the pandemic over, how long can our grandkids carry this virus and infect us.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
My wife and I discussed this today, and my answer was the trucker should point out what he is driving, offer to drive it through the drive-through, and say once started there is no backing up. Then he should suggest the worker discuss it with the manager and re-evaluate the drive-through/walk-up policy.
Good old-time solution... Threats? When I was much younger, I had an old one "Do you like hospital food?"

A South African Dr. debunked the 6' social distance myth, she said 3M = 10 ft. about. My wife twisted ankle is getting better. She twisted it at a wedding, not this Sat. gone, the Sat. before. Ten days ago.
Oatmeal for breakfast, most days. Porridge we call it, some dark brown sugar.
Might try a visit to Trader Joes tomorrow, they were out of Merlo, 2 buck chuck, is now $3.00, at $35.00 a case of 12.

We are getting our walking in, in our fenced in back yard! Having a laugh doing it. Library closed, set up the electronic reader. Michael Connelly going back years. Read it on this Lap Top. A very happy couple lives here, my wife and I, married for 27 years. The second one for both of us. Still have not opened the huge toilet roll package from Cosco!
90 days worth of medication, not going to put any weight on, might lose a bit. My pulse is around 55 BPM, my weight just over 200.lbs. Came out of the Royal Signals in 1956, at 15 stone, 215 lbs, American. Took a lot of years to drop 15 lbs? Not much of a diet, Aye?

Are you all going strapped every day? Watched a talk show, a Green Berry and a Navy Seal chatting away for an hour or so, entertaining. They were smart (came to the same conclusion I had, Glock 19 the bees knees) going back for a couple more hours, tough life.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Will it get worse? Probably.

When will we hit bottom, and how much worse will it get?

My guess is no earlier than June, and about as bad as the mortgage bubble burst.
Weather will kill this by June. Consistent sun and overnight lows above 60 degrees (my rounding from memory). That is a conservative opinion, based on how cold it can be where I live (28 and snow this morning).

·
Super Moderator
23,239 Posts
Watch NYC, LA and SF.

Those are the petri dishes for the USA.

This is not going to end well if people do not self-isolate.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Some interesting thoughts on this thread. Thing is we’re in this together. What one person does definitely impacts the lives of others. No getting around that one. Time will tell if Americans still have what it takes to do the right thing or selfishly kill each other off. The Italians didn’t know. But we do.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I've been thinking about our supermarket employees this morning over my coffee. Our county is shutting down, restaurants, vacation rentals, bars and taverns, government offices etc etc etc. Everyone trying to cut the odds of being exposed.
But the supermarket workers. They're the Americans that have contact with everybody. Essential personal would be a good description.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
I've been thinking about our supermarket employees this morning over my coffee. Our county is shutting down, restaurants, vacation rentals, bars and taverns, government offices etc etc etc. Everyone trying to cut the odds of being exposed.
But the supermarket workers. They're the Americans that have contact with everybody. Essential personal would be a good description.
Our grocery store put up high plexiglass shields in front of every checker and they are all wearing gloves. Seem to be doing what they can. Everyone you pass in the aisles looks away which is great that most people are conscious of any potential contact.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Watch NYC, LA and SF.

Those are the petri dishes for the USA.

This is not going to end well if people do not self-isolate.

Not going to end well with that moron idiot girl with all the kids either couple doors down if she will not stay the hell out of our yard/porch. :mad:

Her kids were at our door this past weekend wanting to come in - NO and What the heck? Why are they even running around door to door asking folks to let them in? Where are the parents?

SHE BROUGHT A FRIEND TO OUR DOOR YESTERDAY!!! Omg, what an idiot. Her friend wanted to shake CWO’s hand and he said no. So she brought an idiot with her?! He sent them off.

The idiot girl knows I’m immune compromised, and yet she does this? NARCISSISTIC FEMALE DOG! She wants something being this persistent as she tried to invite herself over this morning via text?

I’m being nice but it’s wearing thin.

Q: would it be terrible if I told this obnoxious narcissist to check back in six months or a year?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Just got off the phone with my boss and its changed my mind on this whole pandemic. I think we are being coddled or in other words lied to. No, I don't mean the media making it sound worse than it is I mean the entire Government/medical establishment trying to keep us out of the real loop. I think they have no handle on this thing and I think its mutating beyond what they can even track.
Exactly what myself and a few others have been saying all along

·
Premium Member
3,974 Posts
Not going to end well with that moron idiot girl with all the kids either couple doors down if she will not stay the hell out of our yard/porch. :mad:

Her kids were at our door this past weekend wanting to come in - NO and What the heck? Why are they even running around door to door asking folks to let them in? Where are the parents?

SHE BROUGHT A FRIEND TO OUR DOOR YESTERDAY!!! Omg, what an idiot. Her friend wanted to shake CWO’s hand and he said no. So she brought an idiot with her?! He sent them off.

The idiot girl knows I’m immune compromised, and yet she does this? NARCISSISTIC FEMALE DOG! She wants something being this persistent as she tried to invite herself over this morning via text?

I’m being nice but it’s wearing thin.

Q: would it be terrible if I told this obnoxious narcissist to check back in six months or a year?
Sister....if now is not the time to be direct, when is it time? Get it said.

Hope all is well with you guys.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Sister....if now is not the time to be direct, when is it time? Get it said.

Hope all is well with you guys.
Time to get out the garden hose. Once you’ve given them a warning hose them down. If that doesn’t work escalate as you see fit.

41 - 60 of 229 Posts