Defensive Carry banner

61 - 80 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I'm seeing some of the aisles were not as bad as before. There is a full aisle of bread. Soup wasn't too bad. Canned veggies? Ehh. Chips are pretty good. Juice is not bad. Sorry, millenials, Few Tide pods. TP and paper towels are still empty. THe panic seems to be generally subsiding. Not to say there won't be issues int eh communist states where there is a general lockdown. But the free states, without lockdowns? It's looking a little better here. Hopefully looking better all around.

Side note, just my personal opinion, but some of these purchase limits are rather counter-productive. While limiting hording, it also means people have to shop more often. I thought we were supposed to LIMIT contact, but if I have to go out to the store more often to make normal purchases of 4 -6 items, how is that limiting contact? I have to triple my contact with people to get normal supplies!

·
Registered
497 Posts
From experience, here is what I see happening.

There was an initial panic of sorts. People rushed out and bought stupid stuff. Here in Florida, you would think a hurricane was coming. And then TP? Are you serious? Bottled water? I understand the premise, but even that isn't what I stocked up on for a virus. I noted all the stuff you would get it readily there, like vitamins and things to hydrate you. Even the cold and flu meds, still on the shelves. This just tells me a lot of these people are shopping silly. I've been the the grocery stores two times in the last three weeks. What some of those people are buying is crazy.

So that is going on, and the media is airing every story after another, showing all the doom and gloom, showing the one store in some no where city where a shelf in empty. People sit around watching this. Oh and online - the stories there. Read carefully the headline: "may", "might", "could", "possibly", yet none of these stories say with certainty the end is here. It's all hypothetical stuff. People guessing. Yet people see this nonsense and line up at 7 am for a store to open.

Yet, they STILL go out to bars and out to eat and stuff. So the states start cracking down there. (The real stupidity is showing).

And then finally, the town or city gets its first COVID case and boom - panic all over again. When those first cases start to show up, then everyone realizes the #$&@ is at their door so they run to the store again.

I talked to the local Publix manager the other week. She said even during hurricane season she had never seen anything like this. And its the SAME people. They recognize them, they see them come in multiple times a week. She joked that they have to be running out of room to put everything.

This just seems to be the pattern I'm hearing from friends in many towns and cities.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
I'm seeing some of the aisles were not as bad as before. There is a full aisle of bread. Soup wasn't too bad. Canned veggies? Ehh. Chips are pretty good. Juice is not bad. Sorry, millenials, Few Tide pods. TP and paper towels are still empty. THe panic seems to be generally subsiding. Not to say there won't be issues int eh communist states where there is a general lockdown. But the free states, without lockdowns? It's looking a little better here. Hopefully looking better all around.

Side note, just my personal opinion, but some of these purchase limits are rather counter-productive. While limiting hording, it also means people have to shop more often. I thought we were supposed to LIMIT contact, but if I have to go out to the store more often to make normal purchases of 4 -6 items, how is that limiting contact? I have to triple my contact with people to get normal supplies!
The trucks came in and stocked, they will bare again in a day.
That is what has happened here every couple of days.

·
Registered
33,868 Posts
Took stops at four stores to get the few items we needed, but still no paper produces anywhere.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Time to get out the garden hose. Once you’ve given them a warning hose them down. If that doesn’t work escalate as you see fit.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha 😂 get out of my head, was thinking the same thing! I’m trying to adjust my attitude, hopefully CWO will take care of it before I will have too. He said he was going to run them off if they came back. The husband of this inconsiderate girl is a great fellow, I feel sorry for him. Yeah...women will still get pregnant to secure a father for children they already have. I feel sorry for the kids too.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Took stops at four stores to get the few items we needed, but still no paper produces anywhere.
Got a left hand, don't ya?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
When the armed Gang Bangers run out of food in their homes? I predict, they will head out to homes with more food than they have and take it..
LOL, it isn't going to be the gang bangers that run out of food and that get desperate. It is going to be the normal folks, like your neighbors.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I don't think this will degenerate into widespread violence/lawlessness.

But it does have the potential to result in widespread suffering and a lot of needless death from an inadequate healthcare system and a maddeningly slow federal response to this slow-rolling disaster. Maybe on the other side of this, we can come to terms with public health and preparedness. Once the shut-down is lifted, the economy should recover. Or maybe I'm too optimistic. Time will tell.

·
Super Moderator
23,193 Posts
No doubt. In about a week we surpassed France, Iran, Germany and Spain. We are catching up with Italy.

This is depressing, that Americans are so damn ignorant and self righteous.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I don't think this will degenerate into widespread violence/lawlessness.

But it does have the potential to result in widespread suffering and a lot of needless death from an inadequate healthcare system and a maddeningly slow federal response to this slow-rolling disaster. Maybe on the other side of this, we can come to terms with public health and preparedness. Once the shut-down is lifted, the economy should recover. Or maybe I'm too optimistic. Time will tell.
Depends on how long it goes on, IMO.

An Argentinian with the username "Ferfal" described in real time the descent into lawlessness during Argentina's economic meltdown. Similar crime can't be ruled out in the US if our economy were to rank that bad.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Depends on how long it goes on, IMO.
Absolutely.

If this tamps down by summer, then it'll be tolerable, barely.

If it persists well beyond that, then all bets are off.
An Argentinian with the username "Ferfal" described in real time the descent into lawlessness during Argentina's economic meltdown. Similar crime can't be ruled out in the US if our economy were to rank that bad.
They were in a "without rule of law" situation then. That was years ago and they recovered, but it was really bad for awhile.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
The trucks came in and stocked, they will bare again in a day.
That is what has happened here every couple of days.
Same here. Where the heck is all this food going? Why are people spending so much money on this?

It is kinda funny. I buy food wholesale. No problems getting whatever I need. Then I stop in the local grocery store once in awhile and the chicken is all gone. The pork and most beef, not a single frozen pizza. I have seen it like that repeatedly. It keeps being restocked and then it is gone again. I don't understand.

And the food stamp people had to have used all their welfare for March by now.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
About Perspective: It could always be worse.

What a blessing that so many were already prepping and knew what to do and had things on hand! :smile:

Another blessing is that we will know when this happens again how to prepare better next time! We did miss a few marks and now we know.

What a blessing in these times of fear, that being Americans we have the option of having the second amendment at our side to protect ourselves, most other countries don’t have this option.

Another blessing is the time of year, most folks have tolerable temperatures, AND we still have electricity and water.

Could go on and on, most all of us have something to be thankful for even in the most difficult times.

I’m blessed that I can now go crawl in bed with a handsome specimen of a sailor and know that I’m loved.

God is good, I’m happy and pray you will be too 😊

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
One of the worse things happening now is a dramatic rise in child abuse cases and domestic abuse. Kids at home for a very extended period of time and too many parents haven’t had to deal with their own kids. 24/7 instead of shoving them off to school for the teachers to deal with their attitudes and extended care.
I cannot like this at all but recognize it is probably true. Sad, very, very sad.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
These days I leave the house once a week to top off the vehicle gas, pantry and fridge. But I do not go into any stores. At her insistence, my wife does that. I'm the driver. That is her choice for the simple reason that I make my living as a voice actor. For the past 45 years I've worked from a home studio and the #1 health goal in our house is no sore throats, no coughs, no sinus infections, no illness.
Smart woman that life of yours. The things we learn here. Didn't know you did voice work. I love my Electro-Voice RE20 microphone...Unfortunately the sound in my office is not where it needs to be...yet.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
You have to realize that this is a critical time to avoid spreading this virus. If they can get everybody to cooperate for a short length of time then it will prevent a very extended amount of suffering for everybody. I think that they will find a treatment or cure for this virus and then the worst will be over, I am hoping and praying that it will happen soon. I wonder how long it will be before we can have social contact after they declare the pandemic over, how long can our grandkids carry this virus and infect us.
The analytics of this suggest upwards of 1M deaths due to the virus - and that is regardless of what happens in the next week or two with shutdowns, shelter in place, etc.

·
Super Moderator
23,193 Posts
South Korean Model

I have a relative in Daegu, so I've heard much of this in small personal reports, but this captures the broader picture.

Everyone wearing masks was important - to prevent the spread by the asymptomatic and the ill, even though the utility of use by the healthy is suspect. It also reduces public shaming of those wearing masks, if everyone else is. The ol' Scarlet A trick reversed. :yup:

61 - 80 of 229 Posts