Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I voluntarily admitted myself to rehab about a year ago due to someone stealing my pain medication. Since then I have been on suboxone as an alternative to my medication. I am going to pick up a gun I had shipped to my local gun store this Friday but am worried that going to rehab will show up on my background check and prevent me from being able to pick up my gun. Does anyone know for sure whether or not I will pass? Thanks so much

·
Registered
392 Posts
I don't know if they have all the dots connected and will deny you but in my state it clearly asks you if you are addicted to any drugs even pot and it disqualifies you from legal ownership.

·
Super Moderator
24,656 Posts
Here are the questions that must be answered: 4473 BATFE

Questions E and F appear problematic dependent on your exact circumstances, I would suggest you discuss this with an attorney familiar with the law, however, if, dependent on your exact circumstances, you can honestly answer all of the Question 11 answers as "No" there is no harm in completing the Form 4473 honestly and accurately and having the NICS submitted. You will find out soon enough if you pass.

I assume the Suboxone is now taken legally.

In my simple mind I do not consider a substance abuse program a "Mental Institution".

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the suboxone is prescribed. Looking at all the information I found online, the only trouble I see is if someone was involuntarily committed to either a rehab or a minute til someone was involuntarily committed to either a rehab or a mental institution. I am 90% sure I will be fine just worried about that 10%. I have called a few gun stores and ask them and most have told me there would be no problem. I have been saving for this gun for a very long time that's why I am so worried about it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My exact circumstances are that I have never been addicted to illegal drugs so I can honestly answer all questions concerning it no .

·
Registered
134 Posts
Doesn't it ask whether or not you are addicted to illegal substances?
It asks something like: Are you an unlawful user of OR addicted to marijuana, stimulants, depressants, narcotics or any controlled substance.

I don't really have an answer for you though there's a lot of gray area for interpretation there.

·
Registered
461 Posts
With the reporting and record keeping they have today you have about a 99% chance there is no record of your rehab stay. That said, unless you checked in for just a brief rest :confused: you had a dependency problem with a drug. Question E asks this very thing. Only you can make the decision on how to proceed. Good luck hope it all works out.JMO

·
Registered
800 Posts
You think I should get a lawyer if denied? I really hope I don't get denied that would really blow
If you're concerned enough to ask a bunch of internet stooges, I would ask a lawyer before filling out the paperwork, to make sure you're honestly and correctly filling them out. Remember, making mistakes or lying on government forms is only allowed if you are a paid government official. Your or I will be subject to legal penalties.

Another thing to think about: many gun dealers have a minimum charge for denied NICS checks.

·
Registered
242 Posts
For your specific case I'll reiterate what the other internet experts have already stated.. don't trust an internet expert, call a lawyer if you are losing sleep over it. wait for the check to come back if you aren't.

As for the form. It asks about addiction and illegal use..it really makes no distinction between illegal/legal when it throws in the "any other controlled substance". If you took two swigs instead of one swig of your prescription strength cough medicine you can't truthfully answer no, you illegally used a controlled substance. Anyway, onto the subject of your conscience. There is a difference between addiction and dependence. The voluntary admission to the rehab is indicative of dependence, not addiction.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
If you're concerned enough to ask a bunch of internet stooges, I would ask a lawyer before filling out the paperwork, to make sure you're honestly and correctly filling them out. Remember, making mistakes or lying on government forms is only allowed if you are a paid government official. Your or I will be subject to legal penalties.

Another thing to think about: many gun dealers have a minimum charge for denied NICS checks.
For your specific case I'll reiterate what the other internet experts have already stated.. don't trust an internet expert, call a lawyer if you are losing sleep over it. wait for the check to come back if you aren't.

As for the form. It asks about addiction and illegal use..it really makes no distinction between illegal/legal when it throws in the "any other controlled substance". If you took two swigs instead of one swig of your prescription strength cough medicine you can't truthfully answer no, you illegally used a controlled substance. Anyway, onto the subject of your conscience. There is a difference between addiction and dependence. The voluntary admission to the rehab is indicative of dependence, not addiction.
Your last point is incorrect. It doesn't matter, though. A lawyer specializing in gun law is what's called for here.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I voluntarily admitted myself to rehab about a year ago due to someone stealing my pain medication. Since then I have been on suboxone as an alternative to my medication. I am going to pick up a gun I had shipped to my local gun store this Friday but am worried that going to rehab will show up on my background check and prevent me from being able to pick up my gun. Does anyone know for sure whether or not I will pass? Thanks so much
why? :dunno:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts