Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will it? Expecially on the extractor, or is that not an issue?

:eek:Nevermind, it appears from the posts on this board that it is crap.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
+1,

I ran 100 rds of the new Wolf .45 thru my 1911 and then promptly sold the other 400 rds that same day to another shooter at the range.

Never again will that steel-cased crap see any of my handguns.

On the other hand, I've shot a few thousand rounds thru my AR15s (mil-spec/sloppy chambers) with no problem whatsoever. I think I have a few thousand more rounds of .223 and will shoot it as long as it is cheap and causes me no problems.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
no problems with Wolf thru my AR. over 1000 rnds. Never tried it in my handguns, cause I reload. The steel casings are soft enough they shouldn't cause any excessive wear. However the laquer on the primer may gum up on the breech face and need to be cleaned .

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
I bought a couple of boxes of the 9MM to try out. I'm going to run it thru that Glock 19 I have. We'll see how it shapes up against the other brands of ammo out there..

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I happily use Russian steel stuff thru semi's like AK,SKS etc but tho I have used some for handguns reckon (rightly or wrongly) that extractor wear might be accelerated. Plus anyways it is mucky stuff.

In essence tho it does seem to function Ok - the only exception to that was .380 Silver Bear in my P3AT when I had it - but was not overly surprised.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this site.
I carry a Para Ordnance P14.45 (like you could'nt figure that out by my screen name), have owned it for about five years now.
As for steel cased ammo hurting the gun, we all have to remember that when the .45ACP came out, all of the military practice ammo was steel case to save on brass for the war.
I have personally shot well over 1000 rnds of Wolf steel .45's with no problems, but I have to say that here recently they changed from a brown colored case to a light gray and have had some feeding problems I believe from the case not being slick enough so to speak. I have eliminated that problem by wiping each round with a very and I mean a very lightly oiled cloth and now have no problems with this case change.
When I get serious about shooting I switch to what I carry, which is 230 gr Winchester SXT.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
CP - welcome aboard :smile:

Looks like your Para ain't fussed by the Wolf - chances are I guess few guns will really come to any harm thru it use.

If other ammo dried up and Wolf was all I could get - I wouldn't feel too disadvantaged.!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
The old green cased stuff was junk but the new gray shoots very clean, and the HK digests it just fine.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
It does smell bad though.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Having helped "de-laquer" a friend's AR, from early-made Wolf residue, I decided I didn't want to be part of Wolf's corporate learning-curve. They can buy their own weapons to experiment with; not mine. Just my $.02... :wink:

·
Registered
102 Posts
The first 20rnd box of Wolf I ran through my AR didn't work well. However, that was back when the gun was freshly built and had fewer than 200 rounds through it. At the last range trip, where I put another 220 rounds through it, the one 20rnd box of Wolf I ran through it worked fine and was as accurate as the Winchester ammo I was shooting before and after those 20rnds. I'd buy it again and continue to buy it as long as the savings are significant AND it's reliable.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
Wolfs new Ammo Polmer coated, does not have the sealant on the bullet ogive area. It does have some sealant at the primer though. I have seen some build up , but not much and it cleaned off easily enough.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Cycled 500 rounds of the stuff all it took was a light brushing to clean.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Wolf should be sending me promotional goodies. I average 2.5k or so of 9mm and another 500 or so of .45 a month through everything from my vintage BHP to the 1911 to the HKs to my Sigs to the Uzi etc., and have seen one dud in three years of shooting at this rate. The newer polymer coated stuff is a bit cleaner, but again, no problems.

I still haven't broken an extractor, and the only gun that gummed up with primer was my Carbon 15 pistol when I'd do a Beta dump and stop after 50-60 rounds and let it sit.

Anyone who doesn't want their ammo can send it to me and I'll pay actual UPS.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
First of all, WELCOME CP14! IMHO, WOLF is crap. It barely trickles out of my Sig P245 and they barely provide enough force to power the extraction cycle. They gather in a small pile right at my feel. My gunsmith pointed this out at a recent IDPA match. As soon as I ran through the remainder of my 500rd case (experienced some FTE's) I went to Winchester Red Box, at only a nominal cost increase. There are a lot of fairly good factory deals out there if you take the time to look.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My only experience with Wolf was in a Detonics Combat Master that I owned at one time. I had shot through a box of PMC and didn't have any more ammo and someone handed me 6 rounds of Wolf to try out. The gun had never jammed before on me so I loaded the clip and pulled the trigger. First round stuck in a big way. I dropped the clip out and spent the next 5 minutes clearing the round out of the chamber. Not fun. I tossed all 6 rounds into the trash.

I'm with ExSoldier on this. I will pay more money to avoid that situation again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts