Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope the picture uploads!!! I just thought I would drive everyone crazy for a day or so until I get the picture upload stuff down pat. Thanks guys for putting up with it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If it were mine, I'd throw the shockbuff away, swap the FLGR and spring plug with standard parts, and of course, buy a recoil spring and firing pin stop;)

·
Administrator
143,573 Posts
NICE WILSON HANDGUN FortyFive

Obviously an extremely well cared for and clean lookin' pistol. :biggrin:
Wilson always put together an exceptional .45
They are a pleasure to look at all put together or disassembled.
Thanks for posting your photo FortyFive.

I am somewhat neutral on modern shok buffs & see no problem with them if they are changed often and the pistol functions fine with a buff installed.
I don't use them at all but, lots of folks do. Who am I to say what somebody else should have inside their pistola? It's a personal decision.
I will say that the older style shok buffs were very troublesome & tended to disintegrate at exactly the wrong time inside the pistol. Those buff pieces got caught up in the recoil spring & goofed up the slide travel which usually resulting in a stoppage.
I think with the latest buffer materials that will not happen if they are changed out often.

The Full Length Guide Rods I never saw any use for at all in any 1911 pistol unless your desire is to keep your Wilson pistol "All 100% Original."
If a FLGR is installed & it's not causing ANY function problems then either leave it in...or take it out.
I would never buy one and put one into a pistol.
If I ever owned a 1911 pattern pistol that ever failed to go back into battery or had any other FTFunction problems...then the F L guide rod would be the first thing to go "bye~bye" right into the trash can.
If your pistol is functioning 100% properly "as is" then "no difference"...I guess.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really appreciate the comments about the FLGR, I have heard nothing but negative about them but I haven't had a problem so far. What would go in their place, is it a 2 piece rod with a new cap??? Your write up is just excellant and should provide folks with a great example, thanks much.
The shok-buffs are new type and don't fray or come apart, when you can see the indentation in them its time to change. Of course in a carry gun it would be a no, no.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Lookin' good FortyFive!

Small suggestion to make the pic even better - try and use a non-patterned background, simply cos it is less distracting. Got a plain color pillow slip perhaps or a plain color blanket.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks P95, I plan to run that down this week and take more pictures and drive you guys nuts with my uploads. Naw, I will take more pictures maybe of my old double 12 hammer gun.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I think we will change out, it looks much easier to assemble with the parts on your diagram.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts