Defensive Carry banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I love Jell-O tests! You can produce your own video for only the price of laboratory-grade ballistic gelatin, certified denim fabric, and ammo at $1-plus per round! Of course, you will have to have a little investment in cameras, chronograph, and other equipment to prove you are anal-retentive enough to join the obsessive-compulsive therapy group.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
an interesting test from a well-known ammo geek. (like me)

I always appreciate his tests and discussions.

This round is a no-go for me. I prefer deeper penetration to ensure damage to vitals. There are some big guys around here, and a straight on frontal shot isn’t guaranteed.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
1200fps isnt a wild velocity.

Also, you have to remember penetration depth and expansion numbers in ballistics gel isn't 1:1 for the human body. Its just a consistent medium for rounds to be tested in. 11" deep penetration in calibrated gel doesn't mean its 11" deep in a person.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
1200fps isnt a wild velocity.

Also, you have to remember penetration depth and expansion numbers in ballistics gel isn't 1:1 for the human body. Its just a consistent medium for rounds to be tested in. 11" deep penetration in calibrated gel doesn't mean its 11" deep in a person.
No. And it doesn't always mean expansion either. But a 124gr 9mm hollowpoint that expands reliably is not something that will be easily shrugged off by at least 80% of the population, at least that's my guess.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
It looks good other then it is Winchester. Now this is just me talking but I don't trust Winchester ammo and I don't buy Winchester. Of all the ammo I have tried in my life time Winchester has given the most problems.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I used to follow Tennessee9 years ago when he was active in reporting results of his cartridge evaluations. I'm very pleased to see him back again and hope he continues with his reports. I thought he was the best of the "Jell-O Junkies" out there.

As for the subject round in his video... I would offer an opinion of two 9mm offerings which I think are well backed by his prior tests and which excellent street creds.

The Federal HST 124 gr +P load and the Speer Gold Dot 124 gr JHP +P load. From his tests and their history on the street, these two offerings are hard to beat.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I used to follow Tennessee9 years ago when he was active in reporting results of his cartridge evaluations. I'm very pleased to see him back again and hope he continues with his reports. I thought he was the best of the "Jell-O Junkies" out there.

As for the subject round in his video... I would offer an opinion of two 9mm offerings which I think are well backed by his prior tests and which excellent street creds.

The Federal HST 124 gr +P load and the Speer Gold Dot 124 gr JHP +P load. From his tests and their history on the street, these two offerings are hard to beat.
I have 124gr +P HST's in my G3. I figure with the 4" barrel I'm getting close to advertised velocity. And the groups are about the size of my hand at 7 yards.

·
Registered
16,032 Posts
No. And it doesn't always mean expansion either. But a 124gr 9mm hollowpoint that expands reliably is not something that will be easily shrugged off by at least 80% of the population, at least that's my guess.
It is not 80% of the population that is the threat, it is actually a very small percentage. Of those, how many are on drugs, have a mental illness or both.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Most people aren't 11" deep to hit the vitals. And if you don't want over penetration, it looks to be a good choice.
Don't equate gel penetration to body penetration. The gel test is an objective standard to compare rounds. The FBI standard is based on achieving sufficient penetration and avoiding overpenetration (passing through an average sized body and striking someone behind the BG). I would pass on this even if I DID purchase dirty Winchester ammo.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts

^^Yes to bold above^^^^^^^
Although I do have some of the 9's loaded with PDX1, , the Federal HST and Gold Dot is what is used 98% of the time, and 100% of the time in the .357 Sig. pistols'.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts