Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently bought a 38 special revolver:image035: , a taurus ultralight 2 inch snubbie my first revolver:danceban: and was just surfing the net and found some of this ammunition on gunbroker, and was wanting to know if anybody out there had any experience with this round in a two inch revolver? how it expands? is this a good self defense round or not .if not can you experienced shooters give any advice. any answers would be appreciated!:confused:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why would you stay away from +p+ ammo because of the recoil?taurus website says that my revolver is rated for +p.any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
473 Posts
recoil is one reason. ability to control the gun/quick follow up shots are another.

i've tried .357's in my snubby, but do not like them. more recoil/muzzle blast make the gun hard to control and it beats my hand to death.

if a gun is difficult to shoot, most people will not practice with it, and that's bad in my book.

besides, why beat your gun and yourself to death for a minimal increase in power.

ymmv, but i'd rather be able to hit the target 2 or 3 times quickly with .38+p's than rely on hitting it once maybe with a .357.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The 110gr +p+ 38spl makes a lot of noise and produce a nice big fireball, especially when coming from a snubbie.
I don't think you're gaining any performance advantage over other proven cartridges. Speer Gold dot 135gr +P short barrel ammo is what I carry in my snub. (will post chronograph data from upcoming range trip)

Of course, the old tried and true Remington or Federal 158gr Lead Semi-Wadcutter Hollowpoint is always a good choice. That ammo is getting harder to find in my area at least.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Is it Black Talon or Ranger T? There's a BIG difference. There's no such thing as Ranger Black Talon.

Black Talon is an older generation hollowpoint and has been known to clog (as all older hollowpoints do) when hitting a clothed target.

Ranger T is the new stuff, the good stuff, the "Law Enforcement Ammunition" stuff, it's what I use as defense ammo in my 1911.

Also, staying away from +P+ has more to do than being rated for +P or recoil, +P+ has no limits, period. It could be loaded to ANY pressure. There's a reason no firearm is ever rated for +P+.

·
Registered
248 Posts
There's no such thing as Ranger Black Talon.
Yes, there USED to be. The Ranger SXT line that came in 50 round boxes and used a black lubilox coated bullet in a brass case.
It was eventually replaced by the T line which is a copper colored bullet in a nickel case.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs12.htm

Black Talon SXT: The original Black Talon handgun bullet. It was introduced in 1991. The cartridge consists of a black colored bullet seated in a nickel-plated case. The black paint-like coating on the bullet is a Winchester proprietary lubricant called Lubalox. The bullet has six serrations on the rim of the hollowpoint cavity (meplat), and six talons. The talons deploy when the bullet expands. They are described by Winchester as: "six uniform, radial jacket petals with perpendicular tips." Winchester voluntarily discontinued sales of Black Talon SXT to the general public in late 1993/early 1994 due to intense negative media and political pressure. Some political activists derisively referred to it as "Black Felon" ammo. Black Talon is packaged in boxes of 20 cartridges.

Ranger SXT: Ranger SXT is a less expensive version of the original Black Talon cartridge intended for the law enforcement market. It consists of a black Lubalox coated bullet seated in a brass case. The bullet has six serrations on its meplat, and six talons. Ranger SXT is packaged in boxes of 50 cartridges marked "Law Enforcement Ammunition."

Supreme SXT: Redesigned "civilian" version of the original Black Talon bullet. The cartridge consists of a copper-jacketed bullet seated in a nickel-plated case. The bullet has eight serrations on its meplat, and no talons. Supreme SXT is packaged in boxes of 20 cartridges.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
i carry +p+ hydro-shock in my s & w model 60. this is what they issue to us for our backup guns. that is if you carry a wheel gun as as "bug".

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I used to carry Corbon 110 +P 38 spl in my SP-101 - it is ''brisk'' :smilez:, tho I do like to be traditional in truth and have a 158 grainer at my disposal!

Steve Camp extolls the 158 Rem SWC IIRC - slower but heavier and proven to be ''quite effective"

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have shot .38 spl +P, and .357 mag out of my wifes Ruger SP101 2 1/4. Other than more noise from the .357 it was not all that bad.

Golden Saber +P is used for carry ammo.

·
Registered
110 Posts
HighVelocity said:
Yes, there USED to be. The Ranger SXT line that came in 50 round boxes and used a black lubilox coated bullet in a brass case.
It was eventually replaced by the T line which is a copper colored bullet in a nickel case.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs12.htm
I didn't see Ranger Black Talon anywhere in there.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I understand it was the same bullet, hence SXT, but "Ranger Black Talon" sounds like something an auction holder or gunshow guru would use to sell a product that may be one or the other, and could confuse someone into buying an inferior product.

That's why I'm clarifying.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I don't know 'bout the rest of the ammo that was "taimed down" after the origional black bullet,nickle cased,in 20rd "Black" boxes, came out. But this is the ONLY real "Black Talon" ammo ever to be produced IMO.

Don't understand either why no mention of the most(IMO) important thing of all re. this (the origional) loading. The "Reverse Taper Jacket". To me that made the performance of the whole package very unique.

This is my daily CC load in my .45 ACP.

P.S. Have I ever performed any one shot stops,penetration,energy transfer,etc.,etc.,tests on live humans ............ NO.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you like Black Talon, you'll love Ranger T. Same bullet, less the black (but same reverse taper to produce "talons") and in a new design that doesn't clog with clothing. It's more effective against clothed targets, period.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for all the info guys i think im going to try the speer 135 gr +p gold dot since a couple people have recomended it.:image035: id just like to say this is the best forum ever! been on a few and this is always the one i look at first because the people are so friendly:tongue:

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I bought a box of federals' personal defense ammo in .38 special
129 gr. JHP. That should do the trick...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think you will be very happy with the Speer 135gr GDHP Short Barrel ammo. I carry it in my 642, my wife carries it in her 637 and my daughter carries it in her Detective Special. We have tried several other brands and have foud the Speer Short barrel ammo to be very accurate, fast and clean. There is no industry standard for +P+ ammo if I remember correctly, so I would stay away from it. Good shooting and God Bless.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I believe the Speer Gold Dot 135s are the best in short barreled revolvers. And I've tried them all as my duty gun for many years was a 2 1/2 inch model 19 Smith. Everything from the .357mag Super Vels to the +P+ Treasury Loads. The only other round I liked was the 158grn Winchester FBI Load. With the mags it was "Great Balls of Fire" and with the 110 grn loads it was bad Juju on penitration.

Jungle Work

1 - 20 of 21 Posts