·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is Ranger which is the same thing as PDX1 and now Defender and the even older XST. Good stuff.
After reading your reply (hick63), and doing some research on this ammo, I went ahead and bought some.
I was looking around on the SGAMMO website earlier and it looks as if they are starting to move this ammo out of there. I am thinking other members here bought some, and/or guests' coming here reading about it.
I'm waiting on the man in the brown van to bring mine today. I will post back my results after shooting some of it.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Winchester HPs are all derivatives of the dreaded and evil Black Talon. Silvertips predate the Black Talon.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Winchester HPs are all derivatives of the dreaded and evil Black Talon. Silvertips predate the Black Talon.
That makes them even more attractive!
The Silvertips are still a great selling ammo. A bit expensive, but with the aluminum jacket, I guess that's why.

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
I bought some 180 gr Personal Procection, white box, black letters, and they looked like my PDX-1s. I pulled bullets from both boxes and couldn't tell one from the other. I performed an unscientific test in water jugs. They both penetrated 3 jugs and rested in the 4th. They both expanded the same and looked identical to each other.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
I bought some 180 gr Personal Defense, white box, black letters, and they looked like my PDX-1s. I pulled bullets from both boxes and couldn't tell one from the other. I performed an unscientific test in water jugs. They both penetrated 3 jugs and rested in the 4th. They both expanded the same.
So even the WWB HPs are Rangers? Why spend the extra on PDX1/Defender? Good to know.

I've got some old WWB HPs in 357 mag that are just plain old lead HPs, not Rangers.

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
So even the WWB HPs are Rangers? Why spend the extra on PDX1/Defender? Good to know.
They're brass cases. I guess with PDX-1, you're paying for nickle plated cases and a pretty box. The white box is rated 40 fps slower.

BTW, I meant the white box is called Personal Protection, NOT defense.

·
Registered
687 Posts

I've got some old WWB HPs in 357 mag that are just plain old lead HPs, not Rangers.
WWB does not utilize the same bullets as the PDX1 or rangers.

When Shootingthebull tested the WWB 115gr HP, they performed well for a budget hollow point.

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts

When Shootingthebull tested the WWB 115gr HP, they performed well for a budget hollow point.
In 40 S&W they're the same. I didn't know about 9mm. Sorry if I misled. However, the white box, black letters is totally different than the red lettered box. Again 40S&W.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts

There is no Ranger/PDX1/Defender 115g bullet. They offer 124 and 147 for 9mm

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In 40 S&W they're the same. I didn't know about 9mm. Sorry if I misled. However, the white box, black letters is totally different than the red lettered box. Again 40S&W.
You're 100% correct!
SGAMMO sells government over run of the .40 caliber 165 gr. & 180 gr. Ranger Bonded JHP's in 50 rd. boxes. I know, I have a few boxes of them. They are PDX1 ammo in 50 rd. boxes.
I called Winchesters LE ammo dept. and talked to a tech. by the name of Tom. All I wanted to know was a LOT # date on a box of ammo. I started asking him Q?'s and he was very nice and answered all of my Q?'s. He schooled me on the Ranger/PDX1 history and how they ARE the SAME bullet as the PDX1, in 50 rd. boxes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts