Defensive Carry banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off just know that this is nothing new, it is the Winchester Silvertip ammo with a copper jacket and a nickle case ( the switcharoo move lol) It is a few FPS faster than the STJHP so they are throwing in an extra grain of powder maybe, looks like they make it in all the common calibers and they are all light and fast for caliber just like the STJHP (which it is )

I have put about 60 rounds of it through the G23, feeds flawless, hits where I point it...good job:35:

I have done 2 water shots and I guess both are technically failures, one failed to expand the other shed its jacket.
The ammo:

The failure to expand round: I couldn't find any heavy denim around the house but I did find one of my old motorcycle gauntlets, these Gloves are a heavy grain leather,double palm, kevlar sewn, and have plastic and rubber shock armor on them...needless to say they clogged the hollow point :ticking:

full pass throug stopped by the plywood in front of the cinder block

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
2nd shot was through a T shirt and I collected the jacket from the 2nd jug and the slug from the 3rd so again a technical fail, but the expansion was smooth and uniform at 3/4"

I want to do a few more test shots to see if the jacket separation was a fluke or normal for this round but it's gonna have to wait a week or two before I get back to it

·
Registered
464 Posts
Unlike what your motto clearly advises, I have needed to do this but not done it :-((

I bought some of the .38 SPL a while back for this exact purpose, but dealt myself out of my .38 SPL snubs before testing the ammo. Didn't see the point in checking it from a 4" Security-Six, which will always be loaded with something heavier. Although I didn't have Silvertips on-hand to compare these with, I figured they should logically be the same thing under a different name, as grain weights and stated velocities are about the same as their STHP in .38 and .380. Also, the Winchester packaging advertises a rapid expansion and "energy dump," which is what the Silvertip was essentially designed to do.

It's nice to know what "Kinetic HE" actually is, as such a designation would be a redundancy in military terminology....But I have to wonder: why doesn't Winchester show this on their website? One of life's little mysteries.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Light and fast is opposite of what I'm looking for in a defensive pistol cartridge. Mass yields penetration; heavy for caliber. Speed is a wounding vector at rifle velocities.

Thank you for the test and great photos. Very informative.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts