Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I went to a gun show and a vendor had Winchester Ranger Law Enforcement .45 +P ammo for $21.00 OTD for 50rds. I'm used to paying $15-20 for a 20 or 25rd box of any other name brand HP.
Do any of you know how/why he is able to sell those so cheap? Or am I paying way too much for the other brands?
:confused:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The Ranger is generally less expensive but if you've seen the expansion tests you'd be impressed. It's similar to the black talon mor so I've heard.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Personaly I understand +p 9mm , but honestly +p .45 has never made a lot of sense to me .. .45 acp ( or .45 colt for that matter ) will about max out the fbi specs ( assuming your not trying to shoot thro sheatmetal ) with mild easily controled loads . Why generate more recoil than you need to to get the job done

·
Registered
58 Posts
Short barrels might be one reason to go with the +P.
I personally like the +P in my Ultra CPD.

I pay $22 + shipping for a box of 50 Win RA45TP, I'd grab $21 with no shipping cost in a minute.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
I picked up a couple of boxes of Winchester Ranger (Standard and +P) at the last gun show for $18/box. Seemed like a deal to me for 50 rounds in a box. Either variety feeds just fine in both my Kimbers, and I didn't really notice that much difference in recoil w/ the +P in the Ultra. I'm still investigating what will be the best overall defensive round, but these certainly seem to be a good value. I think I'm going to shell out for a chronograph and see just what kind of performance I'm actually getting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
PAPACHUCK said:
This weekend I went to a gun show and a vendor had Winchester Ranger Law Enforcement .45 +P ammo for $21.00 OTD for 50rds. I'm used to paying $15-20 for a 20 or 25rd box of any other name brand HP.
Do any of you know how/why he is able to sell those so cheap? Or am I paying way too much for the other brands?
:confused:
I bought a box from that same person that you did at the harbor center. I got my new xd-45 there as well.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The Ranger Ammunition is great ammo, and comes at a great price. Our local PD switched to it about a year ago, and the officers I know have no complaints about it.

I can get it for 20 even around here.

It is essentially the new talon, without the politcally charged "Black Talon" name according to my sources.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Ranger T ammo was a redesign of their black talon ammo. It is superior to the black talon due to the bullets design change characteristics. Designed to operate/expand at it's specific velocity ratings.

I have tried both +P and standard Ranger T loads in a full size gov 45, the standard load gave better penetration than the +P. The velocity increase appears to expand the bullet faster thus slowing it's depth some.

Both are good loads, but when I carry the Rangers in the 45, they are the standard pressures, not the +P's for that reason and they are easier to control for followup shots.

Brownie

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
You don't need +P ammo in a .45 ACP. A 9mm yes, .45 no. Save money and save on the wear on your gun-Shoot standard pressure ammo.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You Guys Got A Deal.i Could Only Find One Vendor At The Trade Center Gun Show That Had Rangers.$30.00 A Box Of 50rds.45 & .45+p.he Said He Is Having A Hard Time Finding Them & The Price Of All Ammo Is Going Up The Middle Of August Because There To Busy Keeping Our Soldiers Supplied.so Stock Up.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
email Jerry Kirkpatrick here----- [email protected]

He's got all the Ranger you want at great prices. I think I paid 18.00 a box of 50 the last time I ordered some 124+p Bonded 9mm and 147's.

He's down in Fla. I've ordered from him maybe 5 times in the last year for glock parts and Ranger ammo, upstanding dealer, gives you the tracking number and keeps you in the loop at every step.

No need paying outrageous prices on Ranger T's. I've got a case of 500 147's tucked away of this stuff, should not have to buy more for some time now.

Brownie

P

·
0 Posts
$15 a box of 50 here. I get it from the State Police store. Will be picking up my new Springfield XD 45 next week at the same store. I guess I will have to stock up on some ammo as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well That is not a bad price i guess but i havent really bought the 45acp wr ammo i buy the 40 cal wr ammo by the case for 129.00 dollars for 500 rounds but the place i buy it from dont carry wr for the 45 and no you really wasnt paying to much for other ammo its pretty much the going price in most places but there are deals out there you just have to really search them out!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ranger ammo

I left a message before but i think i may have put it in the wrong place sorry i am brand new to this.....Anyway I buy winchester ranger ammo for my 40 by the case for 129.00 dollars a case 500 rounds however where i buy it from does not sell it for the 45....However i am looking very hard a getting some very great deals on the winchester ranger ammo thru a very good friend of mine that owns a gun shop as well as a fireing range....I just bought 2 xd 45acp from him both in 2 tone for 10% over his cost as well i am working on getting him to sell me the winchester ranger ammo for the 45acp at 10% over cost as long as i but it by the case...I will let you all know what happens!!!!!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
NaturalSelection said:
6' 8" tall 300 pound aggressive badguy.
Well that sounds like a job for a shotgun or rifle.

From what I have read and studied + P in .45 ACP doesn't really gain that much more performance than standard loads.Sorry I can't quote verse and scripture! Perhaps other members could shine more light on this. If you are shooting smaller bullets then a little more ZING is a good thing. However the idea behind the .45 ACP is a slower moving huge chunk of lead, hence the nickname the "Flying Ashtray". IMHO you don't gain much with +P rounds in .45, you just speed up the wear and tear on that $1200 1911.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Originally Posted by NaturalSelection
6' 8" tall 300 pound aggressive badguy.

:35: I like that:banana: Worst case scenarios like above?

If we were to strictly carry for worst case scenario, we'd probably be carrying a 454 casull or 475 Linebaugh. Afterall, we might also run into an elephant that got loose from a zoo thats in town and is going on a rampage.:bier:

If we were to carry for worst case scenario, maybe no one would carry a 9mm, or snubby 38? Or a Keltec 32/380?

Carrying the standard velocity ranger 45 loads is enough for about anything you'll run into on the street. As I mentioned before, the Ranger 45+p actually expanded faster due to the increased velocity and thus penetrated LESS than the standard ranger 45 load.

But it is fun to think about running into an rogue elephant escaped from the zoo looking to trample you [ hey it has happened, seen footage of it on TV ].:hand10:

Brownie

·
Registered
402 Posts
Doc Holliday said:
Well that sounds like a job for a shotgun or rifle.
sorta tough to keep either IWB. :wink:

From what I have read and studied + P in .45 ACP doesn't really gain that much more performance than standard loads.
as i understand it, 950 fps is required for "reliable" expansion, and obtaining 950 fps (particularly in 4" and less barrels) is much easier with +P. granted, expansion isnt as critical in .45.

you just speed up the wear and tear on that $1200 1911.
i dont recommend shooting a regular diet of +P ammo at the range due to the cost associated with premium defensive ammo compared to WWB, but i would disagree with any noticeable additional wear and tear on modern handguns. im not referencing +P+ or insane handloads, im just referencing standard off the shelf +P loads which modern weapons are designed and built to handle.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts