Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bonded penetrates due to less expansion, but will hold together through any barriers

What would be a better all around SD ammo

I'm talking specifically about the 165 gr 40 cal in a g27

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I'm a fan of the bonded ranger ammo, as the penetration is better, and expansion is close to as good as the T-series.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Can't imagine any jacketed ammo can make the claim it'll "stay together" through any barriers. But likely a bonded variant is going to perform better than most. And I'd have no qualms over either of those two Winchester Ranger choices, myself, in any SD application.

Have you compared the two with various ballistics tests you have found?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
In the shorter barreled G27...I'd likely run the standard Ranger, not the bonded.

The reason being is that with the reduced velocity in the short barrel, you'll likely get poor expansion with a bonded bullet, and the ranger-T has a decent track record for most common barriers.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
In the shorter barreled G27...I'd likely run the standard Ranger, not the bonded.

The reason being is that with the reduced velocity in the short barrel, you'll likely get poor expansion with a bonded bullet, and the ranger-T has a decent track record for most common barriers.
I tend to agree with Cuda66. I have seen the results of a bonded 40cal shooting when I was a street cop and the majority of rounds fired overpenetrated. I will add that they were the 155 grain weight. Studies by Sanow and Marshall show they and the 165 grainers penetrate deeper than the heavier grain weights. Personally I like the 180 grain weights in the 40cal guns, as they penetrate deep enough to hit vital organs yet tend to penetrate less than the faster stepping 155-165 grain weights. Just my own observations....

Reactions: 5lima30ret and GH

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
As a side not I have noticed that the WWB .40 180 gr bonded looks identical to the Ranger 180 gr bonded. According to the factory ballistics tables it performs identically at much less cost ($19.99 at Wamart when in stock). I suspect that these are overruns that are packaged more inexpensively. JMHO.

·
Registered
394 Posts
both are decent rounds, but if you want a good solid performer go with either a Solid copper bullet Barnes TAC-XPD or the Federal HST's in all my testing those are the best performers, I've tested a lot of the Rangers and had lots fail to expand and or only expand a little ... esp when going through 4 layers of denim...

·
Premium Member
6,200 Posts
I would be willing to bet a dollar to a beignet that no one on the receiving end of either one would ever be able to tell the difference!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
both are decent rounds, but if you want a good solid performer go with either a Solid copper bullet Barnes TAC-XPD or the Federal HST's in all my testing those are the best performers, I've tested a lot of the Rangers and had lots fail to expand and or only expand a little ... esp when going through 4 layers of denim...
I watched several videos on utube on both bullets. The bonded penetrated 16" after going through 4 layers of denim. Come to think of it, that seems a little excessive.

I have some 230 gr +p federal hst 45 acp, 165 gr .40 cal and 125 .357sig ranger bonded ammo. I'm going to do tests on water jugs through some old demon jeans.
Out of the video I've seen the hst and ranger t looks the most nasty.

Remington's golden saber looks good until the jacket sheds its lead core

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I watched several videos on utube on both bullets. The bonded penetrated 16" after going through 4 layers of denim. Come to think of it, that seems a little excessive.

I have some 230 gr +p federal hst 45 acp, 165 gr .40 cal and 125 .357sig ranger bonded ammo. I'm going to do tests on water jugs through some old demon jeans.
Out of the video I've seen the hst and ranger t looks the most nasty.

Remington's golden saber looks good until the jacket sheds its lead core
Youtube vids are neat, but really don't tell much, since the medium being used is rarely properly calibrated gel.

However, assuming it was--16" is considered ideal. Anything less than 12" is underpenetration.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Youtube vids are neat, but really don't tell much, since the medium being used is rarely properly calibrated gel.

However, assuming it was--16" is considered ideal. Anything less than 12" is underpenetration.
In addition the last documented attack by Bare Butted Jello was in the 1950s! See the movie "the Blob"!

Jello tests give you a maybe baseline! YMMV based on the event!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,200 Posts
Reactions: atctimmy

·
Registered
662 Posts
Most LE users of Ranger are carrying the "T", which is basically a modification of Winchester's old Talon bullet. For defense or duty, I can tell you first hand that it works. It is difficult to find, which is telling as well.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Most LE users of Ranger are carrying the "T", which is basically a modification of Winchester's old Talon bullet. For defense or duty, I can tell you first hand that it works. It is difficult to find, which is telling as well.
The PD Mexifornia I insult for uses the "T" series and the last place I found the Ranger T-Series was at SGAmmo.Com. I picked up 4 boxes of 9mm +P+ for my CX4 Carbine.

T is alleged to be the tone down of Talon and they have removed the black coating/lube off of the bullets since the Mexifornia case in 1993!

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I like the non bonded stuff, but wouldnt hesitate if the bonded stuff was all that was available. The non-bonded seems to be less expensive from my searching. I carry the Non bonded daily. When the shooting starts, over-penetration will be the least of my concerns. I understand your concern though.

·
Banned
2,648 Posts
I have the Black Talon, SXT and the T ammo, I never want the opportunity to use any of it and will trust the word of the ballistic experts. Bottom line is shot placement. Because of the bad press on the Black Talons they have become very valuable and sell in the neighborhood of $100 per box in my area.Mine or lock away in the safe.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Properly calibrated Jello tests give you a maybe baseline!.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fixed it for you, and removed your useless snark.

Reactions: 481 and onacoma

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I have been carrying and training with 9MM 127GR Ranger T +P+ for the last 18 months. I got a very good supply before the rush and feel confident with it as the street record is very good. It does get commented on in training as it is louder than the Range Ammo most everyone else is shooting.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts