Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read about Winchester's Ranger JHP everywhere and yet on their website I couldn't find it. Is this round known by another name? Is it sold a Wally World? If so I'll pick some 9mm Rangers up the next time I get some range packs.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Only that name as far as I know.

I did tho when testing it thru my R9 coupla years ago find the bullet performance less than ideal - well in my test program anyways. Now I sure as heck won't say they won't cause some serious damage! But regarding consistency of expansion they did not meet up with my baseline for such, which was Gold Dots. These in the pic were 147's.

·
1951 - 2011
496 Posts
Hello. I cannot tell if ProLoad is open or not, but go here:

http://www.proload.com/shoppingcart/find.asp?

Put in "Winchester Ranger" for the Product Search function and their Ranger ammo that is available will come up.

This is Winchester's law enforcement only ammunition. That is a company policy and you are not in violation of any federal law by using it. I do not know for the individual states.

Walmart doesn't sell it. There are other places, but this is the only one that came to mind quickly.

Best.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I buy Winchester Ranger JHP in .40 S&W, 155gr. at my local gun shop, here in Florida. And yes, it does say "Law Enforcement Ammunition" on the box.

Before that, I carried with Federal HST JHP, 180 gr. And that one had a sticker on the box that stated, "Not for Law Enforcement Use."

Neither notation had any bearing on my purchasing it.

What I do find weird is that both boxes had the "usual warnings" on the box, in English and French!

French, for crying out loud!?! I didn't know the French could defend themselves under any circumstances whatsoever!

mm

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
It's what we carry on duty.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Wow thouse rangers look like they expanded, But not completley. The shape of thouse "talons" look plenty dammaging!

·
Registered
11 Posts
From what I've heard, the Ranger 127gr +P 9mm are some of the most top-notch defensive rounds... I wouldn't know though, because I usually just by cheap practice ammo. BTW, nice pocket gun P95... I can't remember for sure, but I believe there are "short barrel" gold dots which are probably ideal for the R9. I think the Rangers would probably be good in a 5" barrel though. As said above, the the rangers are the same as the Talons, because the Talons got bad publicity from their "scariness" A lot of stores only sell "ranger" to LEO, but its perfectly legal ammunition for us average non-leos./

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, every Ranger if seen on the web that was tested for expansion looked very wicked. That's part of why I'm interested in them. Plus they are less expensive than many other Premium JHPs. I'll need to get some to test in my Kahr PM9 which I'll get in the near future and I don't want to spend a fortune to put 100 or so rounds of JHP through it. I might stick with the Rangers pending function and expansion tests unless I find a great deal like I did when I got 4 50 boxes of 124grain Fed Hydrashoks for $9.95 each.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Here is the supplier I use for Ranger-T ammo.
http://mahsupplies.net/ I have ordered from him a couple of times and service has been great.
Mike

P

·
0 Posts
You think the 9 or 40 look wicked, you should see a 230 grain 45 cal. My choice of carry.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't wait to get a .45 for carry. It is my favorite round. I just picked 9mm for my 1st handgun purchase because of economy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'd like to second the opinion on MAH. I've used him (Mike) an a number of occassions and have always been more than happy with his service.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts