Defensive Carry banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
143,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was taken from another forum.
This IS NOT me or my post.

Thought some members might be carrying w/ this ammo.
Provided as an informational heads up.

"I have been carrying Winchester Super X hollow point rounds for the past several months.
For some reason I decided to fire a couple of these rounds at the range yesterday.
I fired 9 of the rounds.
Not one performed properly. 2 of the nine sounded like air rifle rounds Fffffffffft.
The other 7 didn't fire at all. I keep the pistol in a safe in my house so that it is not exposed to extreme temperatures.
I then fired 100 range rounds, Federal Ammunition, and they were fine.
My questions are:
1) What happened?
2) How often should I cycle my carry ammunition?
3) Does everyone test fire their carry ammunition at some point?

If I am going to be carrying rounds that don't fire I wonder if I should incorporate practicing throwing my pistol at a target when I am at the range.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts as this was an alarming incident for many reasons."

·
Super Moderator
19,009 Posts
I picked up a tip on carry ammo. If you reload , or have a scale, weight your ammo 1 round at a time. this insures there is powder in the cartridge. even manufactured ammo can be misloaded.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
That is pretty alarming - hope the guy gets in touch with Win'.

True enough as Rocky says - a round by round weight analysis is well useful - a discrepancy even with 9mm of somewhere around 5 grains should set of alarm bells. Bullets are usually not much more than +/- 1 grain.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just a guess. I wonder if he is over lubing the gun and oil penetrated into the primers and killed them. Sounds like the oil would have had several months to do it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Looks like I need to get back to the range, I carry 147gr silvertips, in my 9mm. I've had them for about 4 months, last time I popped a few off they went bang. Maybe I need to shoot the rest I have, about 80 rounds, and cycle in a new batch. I've been thinking of switching to hydra shok's anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts