Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Has anyone used the Winchester "white box" ammo I have seen in Wal-Mart? It is so much cheaper than the rest of the ammunition, but it IS Winchester. I wouldn't think that they would sell shabby ammunition.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
White Box Ammo

Bravo3, I have used the Winchester "white box" for alot of my range visits or when out plinking and have never had a problem with it. It seems to be good, economical and clean ammunition. I don't normally carry it in any of my weapons when not on the range though. I prefer a tactical load when I may have to use it for defense, but I am sure many do carry it with no problems.

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
White Box Ammunition

I use the "white box" for most range applications as well. A guy I know has a preference in buying the 50-round white box instead of the 100-round, even if it is a little higher. Although I haven't run a test yet, he says he gets small brass particles from the 100-round boxes that he doesn't get in the 50-round copper rounds. I have found some very fine brass particles, but haven't tried the copper yet. I am carrying Remington Golden Sabers for self defense.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brass particles

I will check mine a little closer after my range trip this weekend. I have never noticed any more than normal.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did check after visiting the range

and you *may* be right. I did in fact find some very small brass. Probably not enough to be a problem, but with oil, powder residue and dirt I bet it could become a problem if you shot very much of it between cleanings. Since I clean mine meticulously after shooting I am not going to worry too much about it. But I will keep my eye on it.

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Brass Particles

Yeah, Bill, I don't really think there are enough to become a problem under normal circumstances and I am not planning on using them for defense use so if they did cause a problem it would not become a real issue. It does make me wonder what their origin is, though. Are they particles left over from the manufacture of the case or a something else? I would worry more about them indicating a lack of quality assurance on Winchester's part. It is really hard to tell because the case, primer and bullet are all brass....

·
Registered
615 Posts
Winchester White Box

Since December 2003, I've used the good ole Wal Mart Winchester cheapies in my Beretta 96 9mm....I've fired close to 12,000 rounds of it .....hadn't had a problem yet....however, just bought a Kimber Eclipse Pro II so I'll let ya know how the .45 ammo does.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Has anybody else noticed that the Winchester White 100 round boxes of 9mm usually have 101 rounds?

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Ive used it mostly for plinking or when i run out of hand loads..

Other Day when i ran out of handloads i bought a box at the range shot it and was more like shooting a shot gun.
Went back to range next day with reloads and was dead on again maybe i got a funky batch of 9mm but wasnt happy.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I use the WWB on a regular basis at the range in 9mm .40 & .38 and have not had any issues. I carry Remington Golden Sabers for self defense.

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Originally posted by JT
Has anybody else noticed that the Winchester White 100 round boxes of 9mm usually have 101 rounds?
I haven't, JT, are there consistently 101 rounds or was it just a mistake made in boxing them? I have bought alot of them in 9mm but never noticed the extra one.

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
Originally posted by Tc300mag1
Ive used it mostly for plinking or when i run out of hand loads..

Other Day when i ran out of handloads i bought a box at the range shot it and was more like shooting a shot gun.
Went back to range next day with reloads and was dead on again maybe i got a funky batch of 9mm but wasnt happy.
My bet would be a funky batch. I have had virtually no problems with any of the whitebox ammo other than maybe 2 in 10,000 that failed to fire. Any inaccuracy I have noticed in them has been me, not the ammo. For carry I use Golden Sabers.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Originally posted by Bumper
I haven't, JT, are there consistently 101 rounds or was it just a mistake made in boxing them? I have bought alot of them in 9mm but never noticed the extra one.
I have had it happen 3 or 4 times at least. I’ve talked to a couple of other guys who said the same thing. The only reason I noticed is I rotate my ammo when I buy some to shoot. I reboxed the Winchester to store it better, and usually had an extra round. Maybe their quality control is to add one, to reduce the risk of being short.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally posted by JTI reboxed the Winchester to store it better, and usually had an extra round. Maybe their quality control is to add one, to reduce the risk of being short.
Glad I'm not going crazy! I've noticed this several times with the 9mm 100-round boxes.

The WWB's accurate enough for practice, and it's the cheapest decent thing going. It IS dirty stuff, though. I can notice a very measurable difference between the residue left in the gun by WWB and that left by the Federal American Eagle red-box .45 stuff.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I shoot them as well. In fact, I should probably go get some more tonight. Lately every time I go they are out of them. Maybe that means many are getting firearms for Christmas.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've shot about 1500 rds of White Box in .40S&W with absolutely no problems, both in practice and USPSA matches. Accuracy was also fine through my P-16.
Didn't notice any more brass particles than with any other type of ammo.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Shoot it a lot, at least, until I got my reloading gear! I carry Win White 115gr JHP, and don\'t feel bad - Evan Marhall tested it, and it performs right up there with the big bys!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I get Winchester White Box at thelocal Walmart. The clerks there were even so kind as to ask me about chambering problems. They said some of the .45 does not chamber quite right and if I had a problem to bring it back. No complaints about that service from Walmart and the WWB functioned without fault. I do not shoot as much as many of you do, but have probably gone through 500 to 600 rounds.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.