Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I went to the local gun shop yesterday and did some window shopping. I saw a Glock 21C, 45 ACP with compensated barrel. That was the first Glock I had seen with that option. Is that a good idea in a carry gun? Held the G23 and G27 and liked the feel of the 23 better. I plan on a Glock 23 being my next purchase.

I also held the Kimber Raptor and Springfield EMP. Both beautiful weapons (almost too nice to carry). I loved the feel of the EMP. I looked at a lot of Kahrs and Walther PPS.

A great day of comparison shopping and we were the only ones in there for a while, so we had great discussions with the owner. Lots of good info and things to think about before the next addition. All very nice weapons for sure!!!

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I LOVE my G23! It's darn near the perfect sized sidearm for 'most' of my needs.

As for the compensated barrels, stay away from 'em for concealed carry.....just my opinion.

·
Registered
95 Posts
What is your objection to the Glock C models for concealed carry? I like my 23C for my EDC.

·
Registered
687 Posts
What is your objection to the Glock C models for concealed carry? I like my 23C for my EDC.
In low light situations the extra flash coming from the top of the gun could blind you. Or if you have to shoot from retention the gasses can injure you.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
You will not go wrong with the G23.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
My buddy and I went to the local gun shop yesterday and did some window shopping. I saw a Glock 21C, 45 ACP with compensated barrel. That was the first Glock I had seen with that option. Is that a good idea in a carry gun? Held the G23 and G27 and liked the feel of the 23 better. I plan on a Glock 23 being my next purchase.

I also held the Kimber Raptor and Springfield EMP. Both beautiful weapons (almost too nice to carry). I loved the feel of the EMP. I looked at a lot of Kahrs and Walther PPS.

A great day of comparison shopping and we were the only ones in there for a while, so we had great discussions with the owner. Lots of good info and things to think about before the next addition. All very nice weapons for sure!!!
Plain and simple, I just know you're going to go Glock. You'll become a better person overall after you do. There's no looking back. Do what needs to be done.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's most likely going to be the outcome. With my EMS ID, my local gun shop can order me one through their LE program at an unbelievable price...I almost fell over when he told me. I had to exercise some restraint not to buy it on the spot. No doubt the best gun for the money!!!!

·
Registered
11,106 Posts
In low light situations the extra flash coming from the top of the gun could blind you. Or if you have to shoot from retention the gasses can injure you.

Correct. Compensated pistols are fine for fun and games, but not for carry purposes.:nono:

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've heard the "4th generation" Glocks are due out soon. Should I hold out a while for them or get the current generation version while I can? I'm not that familiar with Glocks or the upcoming changes. I'm in no particular hurry.

·
Registered
720 Posts

Internet lore. I've fired my GLOCK 23 C and Springfield V-10 many times at night. No flash blindness. Zero. They are LOUDER in report, though.

Retention? I would hate to fire any handgun pressed against any bare skin. I have been injured by cycling slides [my fault] and revolvers spitting lead to the side. Shooting is not risk free, and I don't believe porting increases that risk by any great margin.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
My G23 ismy companion...like a partner everywhere i go...love it.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Internet lore. I've fired my GLOCK 23 C and Springfield V-10 many times at night. No flash blindness. Zero. They are LOUDER in report, though.

Retention? I would hate to fire any handgun pressed against any bare skin. I have been injured by cycling slides [my fault] and revolvers spitting lead to the side. Shooting is not risk free, and I don't believe porting increases that risk by any great margin.
not pressed against bare skin...in a rare instance a shot may be required with the gun in a position below your face (possibly a close quarters situation where extension of the arms isnt possible)...in that case you will be subject to ported gasses in your face...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Do not buy a compensated Glock. I did (19C) and I regret it. You can not use it for IDPA and when you shoot from the hip or right off your chest, you can definitely feel the gas come right up on your face.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
You will not be sorry with a Glock.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Unless you're a lefty, I don't think the 4th generation guns are any big deal...OMO You'll need the set though, G23 and G27... There will be times the G27 is easier to conceal and you can use G23 mags as the spares... That's what I do with my G19 and G26... The G23/G27 will be my next set... Glocks are better in pairs....

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Apparently snubbies and Volkswagens are too. I seem to have 2 of everything.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Apparently snubbies and Volkswagens are too. I seem to have 2 of everything.
Just 2?
My problem is worse. The PAIR of hangun safes are full, one more .357 snubbie coming last next week, fell in love with a Classic Series S&W Model 27 at the fun shop today, and I'm debating on ordering a .500 S&W:rolleyes:
You may have it bad, my friend, but I'm beyond sick:yup::blink:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I would wait for the Glock 4th gen. to come out for a couple of reasons. This is still hear say.. but i heard that they are going to have ambidextrous slide release (finally) and the ability to switch the magazine release to either side.(finally) The possible option of grip customization (back-straps or a strip)...(finally)

·
Registered
200 Posts
not pressed against bare skin...in a rare instance a shot may be required with the gun in a position below your face (possibly a close quarters situation where extension of the arms isnt possible)...in that case you will be subject to ported gasses in your face...

Yeah, hold any ported handgun close to your body and pull the trigger. You will change your opinion. Porting doesn't belong on a carry gun.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts