Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
143,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Windows just smacked me with a really long update that I probably don't need and for sure never want. I wonder what brand new features they are going to give me that I don't need and are almost impossible to get rid of.

Windows...if you ever give me anything...please also give me an easy way to give it back without any aggravation. :mad:

Now I get a pop-up that Smart Screen can't run and I have to click Don't Run.

I don't want a screen that is smarter than I am anyway. I was getting along just fine with a dumb screen.
Damn know it all asshats.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I suffer the same frustrations wit Windows . I had what I wanted . Don't fix what aint broke ! They upgraded me a number of times . Took a long time to get logged back in here . Some sites I have never been able to get back in to .

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Distro wars? I suggest Linux.

Seriously, I hate having to deal with updates. Just when I get everything working at good speed—Bam! another upgrade. We are living in a time of rapid technology change and it isn't conducive to equanimity. Especially for those who see a computer as just another tool instead of some gimcrack, whizzbang gadget!

In other words, I feel your pain!

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
I go through my laptop and everything that I can possibly turn off...I turn off.
Problem with Windows is if you turn off automatic updates and later find you need one, it may need to load 20-30 updates. I'd leave it on but set it update upon shutdown.

If you are using Win 10, you can easily refresh all the system files without losing any personal data.

Refresh your copy of Windows 10 without losing your data Windows 10 is capable of resetting all of its system files without affecting your personal data. Refresh will do the following:

• Reinstalls Windows 10 and keeps your personal files.
  • Removes apps and drivers you installed.
  • Removes changes you made to settings.
  • Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)
To get started with a refresh of your system files, follow these steps:

1. At the desktop, click the Search the web and Windows box and type "reset".
  2. Select Reset this PC (System Setting).
  3. Under Reset this PC, select Get Started.
  4. Select the option to Keep my files.
  5. Note any apps or drivers that will need to be reinstalled after the refresh has completed.
  6. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the refresh process. This will take some time and your computer will restart.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
That is another reason to ditch Windows and go with a Linux system! The only windows I like are Anderson or Pella!:danceban:

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
All my laptops that are used for internet use only have Linux Mint instead of Microsoft Windows. Only the desktop server that has a few pieces of hardware that I have not taken the time to get working in Linux still has Windows 7 with manual updates only.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
It seems like we get new updates installed about once a week. When that happens we usually have issues with our computers. Either we can't access the shared drives, can't access the internet, or sometimes we can't even use the Microsoft products stored on our own system. The templates that office needs are stored on the cloud. If we can't access the cloud, we can't use MS Office.

Reactions: QKShooter

·
Super Moderator
25,501 Posts
That's why I have always owned a Mac.
Have you seen what they just did with the ports on the new MacBooks? to run any accessories you currently have you'll (and so will I) be buying USB-C to ??? dongles ranging in price from about $20 to $60 depending on the dongle from Apple. (That doesn't take into account unannounced third party adapters that hopefully be cheaper.)

·
Registered
8,408 Posts
Have you seen what they just did with the ports on the new MacBooks? to run any accessories you currently have you'll (and so will I) be buying USB-C to ??? dongles ranging in price from about $20 to $60 depending on the dongle from Apple. (That doesn't take into account unannounced third party adapters that hopefully be cheaper.)
I just read about it this morning. Definitely not one of Apple's smarter moves. They'll pay for this in the market because consumers will vote with their wallets.

They do often, however, seem ahead of the power curve. I remember when the Macbook Air first came out and how stupid I thought it was because it did not have a DVD drive. I've now owned one for over three years and think it's great.

·
Super Moderator
23,211 Posts
Always keep several generations of backups on separate drives, and use "Restore Points" also.

Always do a backup before a major upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
16,105 Posts
I have mine set to notify me of updates then I will go down the list and only install the ones that may be useful. Still running Win 7 and refuse to switch to the Smartphone look (Win 10) I have been thinking of going to Linux instead.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have a laptop that has Windows, couldn't tell ya what version. The laptop is 5 or 6 years old, and I haven't updated anything on it in years. It works great. My last laptop gave me some troubles, so I took it out and shot it. Maybe this laptop is knows better.

·
Banned
894 Posts
With all the free open source software out there, I am surprised that MS is still in business. Macs are not perfect, but they are a lot closer than any MS system.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Man Shoots Computer Eight Times.

Guy_goes__Office_Space__on_a_computer_wi_.jpg
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Police checking out a report of gunshots confirmed shots were fired -- at a computer.
Colorado Springs Police officers were called to an alley on Colorado Avenue near 21st Street around 7 p.m. Monday.
Officers said they talked to a resident who was, "fed up with fighting his computer for the last several months."

Man fed up with computer shot it 8 times, Colorado Springs Police say - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com

I have to say, he did the right thing.:danceban:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
With all the free open source software out there, I am surprised that MS is still in business. Macs are not perfect, but they are a lot closer than any MS system.
It's due to market saturation. Most game designers make games for Windows. Most office-style products are on Windows. The most ubiquitous LDAP system is not only strictly on Windows Servers, but also designed by Microsoft. Take that, and the lower up-front costs of Windows-based PCs versus Apple, and you have a pretty unassailable foothold in the Market.

Once people realize that free options exist (hardware notwithstanding) and Linux users become more prevalent, that will change. Then we'll see a real competition, with one major player (Linux) being almost entirely devoid of the a requirement for money. (yes, I know some Linux developers are commercial, but that's not the point of this post)

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I have mine set to notify me of updates then I will go down the list and only install the ones that may be useful. Still running Win 7 and refuse to switch to the Smartphone look (Win 10) I have been thinking of going to Linux instead.
Responsible computing is so time consuming—but what can you do! Your approach seems the wisest. Twice Windows updates has killed Microsoft Money for me. The first time, through laborious trial and error, I was able to identify and remove the offender but the second resurrection has eluded me.

Be advised that Win 7 support is scheduled to end in 2020. Now would be a good time to make your move to some form of Linux. Linux Mint would be my recommendation for you as it's desktop is similar to Win 7 so the transition would be easiest. You could set it up as a dual boot system until you are fully comfortable with it.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Now would be a good time to make your move to some form of Linux. Linux Mint would be my recommendation for you as it's desktop is similar to Win 7 so the transition would be easiest. You could set it up as a dual boot system until you are fully comfortable with it.
I would agree. My laptop is single-booted with Linux Mint 17. But my workstation at home is dual-booted with Win10 and Linux Mint 17. Still trying to figure out why one of my USB3 ports doesn't work on my laptop; I still think it's Linux's power management.

But Linux Mint is probably the best supported (by the user community), has a strong stable base; does very well on the security; has regular updates that don't break your system; and can be installed in such a way that you can blow away the entire operating system, reinstall a new version and keep all of your files (and even some of the program!).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts