Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had any good numbers on what percentage of women are gun owners, and how many have a carry permit?
Seems like the numbers are all over the place on an internet search.
Best I can seem to find is about 22% are gun owners. But not much info on permit holders.
I am assuming the social unrest of this year may have really affected the number of women.
In my house, my wife has no interest in them, doesn't mind the fact that I carry all the time, just no interest.
We also do not seem to have that many ladies that post here compared to the guys. I hope that does not mean anything.
I sure hope a lot more ladies come around to the fact that gun ownership is important to their safety.

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
There are always exception, some notable I might add, but the women who carry that I know as well as those who own for home defense are not enthusiastic. The firearm is a tool for them, nothing more.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
According to a study by John Lott this past October, there were at that time 18.66 million permit holders in the US – a 304% increase since 2007, and an 8% increase over the number of permits a year previously. That equaled 7.3% of the adult population. There is no doubt there has been a significant rate of increase since then. Lott also showed the rate of increase in permits is much higher for women, perhaps even twice as much, and also higher for minorities.

Lott said that at the time of his study in 2019, women made up 26.5% of permit holders in the 12 states that provide data by gender. It is anyone's guess how, and the extent to which, that has changed since October.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I don't know about national numbers. I do know that 100% of the adult women in my family (immediate family, aunts, cousins) own guns and train frequently. In my immediate family, my wife, daughter, and daughters-in-law all have CCPs and do so daily.

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
I have a CCP but I don't carry often, unless I'm traveling by myself to NC via VA.
I live about 5 miles south of the Maryland border and go there often to shop, Drs appointments etc. Since I can't carry in MD and wouldn't want to accidentally take my gun and get caught there, I just leave it at home.
With all the new gun laws being proposed in VA, I'm not sure how long we'll be able to carry there either.

Thankfully, the crime around here isn't too bad...nothing like near a bigger city. Mostly it's drug related crime and as long as you stay away from that culture, it's pretty safe.

Other than my daughter, I don't personally know more than one other woman who has her CCP and her husband gives classes for permits. I'll ask him how many women take his class...last I heard, he's full every weekend he gives them but I don't know the percentage that are women.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
There are always exception, some notable I might add, but the women who carry that I know as well as those who own for home defense are not enthusiastic. The firearm is a tool for them, nothing more.
I think women generally don't show enthusiasm for things like guns, or any other "cool tools" the same way men do. That doesn't mean they are indifferent. They will show enthusiasm for clothing and personal care products, but they can still have a lot of brand loyalty to household "tools" like cleaning and cooking products. Even women who buy recreational products like golf clubs and tennis rackets don't seem to be as "gear focused" as men.

I don't know why "enthusiasm" makes any difference anyway. I am less enthusiastic about guns than I was in my younger days, but that hasn't changed anything important.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I can say that a BUTTLOAD of female teachers have been rattling my cage about helping them choose and purchase the right handgun/long arm for them, and wanting to know where to go to get a concealed carry permit.

Most of them are screaming liberals, and I have not spared the chance (Never let a scared Lib go to waste!) to remind them that it is THEIR party that wants to disarm them, then I fix them up, making sure they know that bigger is not better for a woman, and that the right round/handgun size is more important than expensive bling (Do they make one in designer colors and designs???).

Enjoying the large cup of schadenfreude (y) .

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
I guess I can’t blame Mrs OldChap if she isn’t as fond of guns as I am. I’m not fond of having a bunch of vacuum cleaners laying around.

Besides it makes me a better secret agent for smuggling gun parts past her hawk-like gaze!

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,826 Posts
My wife has had her concealed permit since 1992. She was a police cadet in high school. She outscored the men on paper and at the range in her concealed carry class.

She carried an S&W 640 Centennial .357 magnum until a couple of years ago. The arthritis in her hands got to the point she had to use both index fingers to pull the double-action only trigger. She traded it for a Sig P938 9mm.

I carry a 1911 with a spare magazine on my belt plus a Sig P938 with a spare magazine in my pocket. When she is out with me, she usually leaves her purse and handgun at home. She depends on me to hand her my Sig P938 in an emergency.

My wife hates all social media including gun forums. She keeps telling me we need more guns and ammo.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
We’ve held six Handgun 1 or 2 classes so far this year, averaging between 8 and 15 students each. There have been 2 or more females in each of those classes, one had five. About 1/2 of those are attending alone, not as a significant other.

That is not typical over the past 3+ years I’ve been involved.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I think women generally don't show enthusiasm for things like guns, or any other "cool tools" the same way men do. That doesn't mean they are indifferent. They will show enthusiasm for clothing and personal care products, but they can still have a lot of brand loyalty to household "tools" like cleaning and cooking products. Even women who buy recreational products like golf clubs and tennis rackets don't seem to be as "gear focused" as men.

I don't know why "enthusiasm" makes any difference anyway. I am less enthusiastic about guns than I was in my younger days, but that hasn't changed anything important.
As you said, "generally," but there are exceptions. My wife is very interested in shooting, likes to shoot everything I have, and really enjoys going to the SHOT show to see the different products. She is very enthusiastic about her AR, training, and appreciates historical firearms.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I always appreciate women shooters at the range....

·
Registered
619 Posts
I guess I can’t blame Mrs OldChap if she isn’t as fond of guns as I am. I’m not fond of having a bunch of vacuum cleaners laying around.

Besides it makes me a better secret agent for smuggling gun parts past her hawk-like gaze!
I learned the subtle art of gun smuggling (past the wife or relative) from watching two of my uncles when we went to gun shows (My parents were not anti gun but had no use for them, but luckily let me tag along with my gun owning relatives). Those two uncles would wheel and deal all day long while my cousin my age and a brother and his cousin his age wandered the grounds groping old militaria. The early 70's were a grand time for old militaria. At the end of the day they invariably had several very nice but "unauthorized by the SWMBO" (She who MUST be obeyed) weapons they needed to sneak inside their homes.

Cue me and the cousins here - Kids, run in and distract your mom/aunt!

We run in "starving" (truly we had stuffed ourselves on hot dogs all day but the Majors gave the orders and the Grunts carried them out). During the ensuing melee' and general disruption the guns were slipped in through a previously unlocked bedroom window. They then paraded past with nothing in hand for show but immediately headed to the back of the house for the "bathroom," retrieved said guns, locked them in their gun safes, and about three months later brought the weapons out to clean them for whatever, hunting, target shooting, etc.

SWMBO - "Where did THAT come from?"

"What, THIS OLD THING? Had that for years. Got it from (fill in the dead relative here for convenience) and just never bothered really looking at it before, but figured it might need cleaning." Voila.......

Good times.....good memories. Feel free to use said advice if needed when something falls into your hands unexpectedly. :devilish:

·
Premium Member
7,277 Posts
Although there are not a LOT of women who are truly "gun people," I am one of them. I didn't used to be. Gramps had guns and shot a lot and I mostly didn't pay any attention. THEN when our state became shall issue and he said he was going to the permit class I told him to sign me up also. THEN I learned to shoot, and started in a casual competition group, and then actually started to carry. Now I carry 24/7 everywhere it is legal, except when sleeping or taking a shower. (I don't go swimming anymore.) I feel totally naked without a gun and it is extremely rare that I have to go someplace without one. I know there are not a huge number of women like me.

A very large number of the women who I know well enough to "talk guns" with at all have their carry permits. Perhaps 5% of them carry. I ALSO KNOW that 95% of the guys in the shooting groups at our club have carry permits but only about 5% of them carry.

No scientific surveys here - just what I see and know from my own experience.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My wife was anti gun when we first met. After a few years I turned her with help from the democrats.
She now has her own guns, M&P22C, EC9S, and SR9. She also has a carry permit.
She has open carried as well but not often due to what she wears.
IMO, Not the preferred way to carry but she likes her conceal carry purse from Gun Totin Mama's.
At least she has it with her when she's out and about.

sr9.jpg

·
Registered
674 Posts
I’m probably an exception also. I love EDC type gear and have many knives, flashlights, etc. I wasn’t introduced to guns until I met Mr. Surefire. (My father was shot twice and wasn’t too keen on guns. Once he shot himself in the hand dismounting a horse and he lost an eye by someone trespassing and shooting rabbits on his dad’s farm. Mind you this was in Kansas in the 1920s.) I immediately took to firearms and have my concealed carry permit here in CO. I carry 95% of the time. I will shoot anything once- handguns, rifle or shotgun. Well, maybe not the husband ‘s 505 Gibbs, the 458 Lott was a handful! I enjoy bird and big game hunting and practicing at the range and hope that Colorado lets me continue doing those things.

·
Registered
932 Posts
When she practices, Jean is a better pistol shot than I am, mostly because she's younger, and she has always been more athletic than I.
My saving grace is that she doesn't practice enough, while I do, and also that I have years and years of experience that she doesn't have.
She has her own carry permit, and a very workable concealment rig. She is also a Life Member of the NRA (and it was her own decision).

She experimented with every pistol we have in stock, both revolvers and semi-autos, and she finally chose a mini-pistol in .380 ACP for herself.
She had learned to shoot using a full-size M1911, in .45 ACP, but that's too big a pistol to hide properly, anywhere on her tiny frame.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts