Defensive Carry banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
My wife has had concealed carry for 25 years and is supportive of my shooting purchases.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
My wife has zero interest in guns but is completely supportive of my interest and use of them. She never asks, "Do you think you really need that where we're going?" like some might. Many years ago she did go shooting with me from time to time but just never developed an interest. Same with my two daughters.

I know several women who enjoy guns and who do shoot and a few carry. But this is still largely a man's domain. One thing I have noticed over the past few years is a real increase in the number of women at shooting ranges, so there is hope.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My wife doesn't carry as she is not sure she could pull the trigger on another person and I fully support that because I would not want her to hesitate and have it used against her. She does fully support me carrying and I carry 100% of the time provided it is legal to carry concealed. She does target shooting with me and used to shoot black powder at re-enactments.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,288 Posts
My wife doesn't carry as she is not sure she could pull the trigger on another person
THIS is something I ask new shooters to carefully and totally honestly consider because when you carry - or even when you have a gun at home for SD - it means that you MIGHT someday have to pull the trigger while aiming the gun at a person. One woman, after buying and learning to shoot a .38 special, gave it very serious thought and said she really did not think she could shoot anyone to save herself, but COULD to save her little dog. Having no human children, that little dog was her "baby."

I think there are some men who honestly realize they couldn't, but probably more women because in our culture women are trained to be "care givers" more than "judges." That wording in the last sentence is not good, but as close as I could come before waking up fully for this day.

Caveat: NO ONE knows for sure if they are capable of shooting another person until put in that actual position. There have been a lot of studies done showing a surprisingly high percent of trained soldiers in war time who froze and could not shoot at the enemy.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Women have the "edge".
I don't believe that any perpetrator would knowingly attack a woman who he thought had a gun.
But you never KNOW.
I had a lady that came to visit me a year or so after she took my "Basic Pistol" class, and I made the mistake of chastising her (In a friendly manner) asking why she wasn't carrying.
WHOOSH...In the blink of an eye, she whipped up her shirt and produced a .380.
Took all of a second.
"Open mouth, insert foot!" LOL

·
Registered
440 Posts
My wife has been EDCing since the mid 80s. Attended numerous training classes throughout the US and competed in various "gun games' too. She has been an NRA Firearms Instructor since the early 90s and was a certified WA State Private Security/Private Detective Firearms Instructor.

In 1992, she started our training company in WA state and we moved to PA in 2002, between 1992 and 2008 the company trained just over 3,000 students.

In the Basic Handgun Safety Class - the average was 6 out of 10 students were female. From that class, Handgun Fundamentals I and II, and Concealed Carry - the average makeup of the class was 2 out of 10 being female. Ladies would take a basic class, but fewer would proceed to take additional more "advanced" type training.

My wife also ran a weekly Ladies Defensive Pistol League for 9 years. During that time she averaged 10-15 shooters coming out each week (for an 8 week session) to work on defensive pistol drills.

She laughs when people say "we got to get more women interested" because she has been hearing that phrase for 35 years now.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Caveat: NO ONE knows for sure if they are capable of shooting another person until put in that actual position.
YES!! I have preached and preached this to so many people over the years. You can go through all the training you can find but until you are face to face with an extreme encounter, you really don't know how you are going to react, to perform, unless you have been in a similar situation before.

One of the more serious problems with this is that good people are not capable of thinking like bad people. Essentially, they really don't wish to hurt anyone, even bad people. So they tend to hesitate in hopes that the bad guy will go away. And this can get them injured or killed. One has to understand that there are people out there who are perfectly willing to do you harm, serious harm, and have absolutely no compunction to do this. There is a quote from a video training series I took a few years ago which I like very much and which, when applied, could be the difference between that hesitation and acting immediately, without reservation.

"The key to avoiding the freeze is to know there will be a fight before it happens."

Get into this mindset wherever you go and wherever you visit; restaurants, shops, grocery stores, churches, gas stations, the lot of them and it just might save your life.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
I’ve been shooting 47 years, my older brother stuck a shot gun in my hand when I was a kid and it went bang and I was hooked. As kids we loved gun powder and “experimented” with it and fire. I love power tools, use to build boats and then houses (90’s). Men do have funn’er things, go cart dirt ridding is fun too. My parents didn’t know we had guns, both of them clueless.

Finally got mom to carry but it wasn’t until after Dad died and I was moving away so she got her license and carries now, she’s in her late 70’s.

Don’t know many female friends that like to do any of that stuff so y’all are prolly right, not many women like to shoot but they should. It was always men friends that I went shooting with, but plenty of them liked to shoot and we blew up all kinds of stuff, hold-my-beer stupid stuff. It’s nice to be older and tired, much safer.

Good thread Kilted Cowboy 👍🏻

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
My wife doesn't carry as she is not sure she could pull the trigger on another person and I fully support that because I would not want her to hesitate and have it used against her. She does fully support me carrying and I carry 100% of the time provided it is legal to carry concealed. She does target shooting with me and used to shoot black powder at re-enactments.

Amazing what you will do if your afraid. In my lifetime, I’ve had to pull a gun 3 times in defense. Trigger was involved only in one of those times. Maybe women grow up being told they can’t so they think this? Just a guess, never know what makes people scared of stuff. I’d bet if there was a gun on you she’d pull the trigger on the BG! 😃

·
Registered
171 Posts
Amazing what you will do if your afraid. In my lifetime, I’ve had to pull a gun 3 times in defense. Trigger was involved only in one of those times. Maybe women grow up being told they can’t so they think this? Just a guess, never know what makes people scared of stuff. I’d bet if there was a gun on you she’d pull the trigger on the BG!
When my wife was married to her first husband he was gone for a week at a time. She had several scares while staying alone and carried a 39-2 for a while and that was when the realization hit her that she might not be able to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
When my wife was married to her first husband he was gone for a week at a time. She had several scares while staying alone and carried a 39-2 for a while and that was when the realization hit her that she might not be able to pull the trigger.
There were a few times i wanted to pull one on my first husband too, but you know....jail.... 😂

Reactions: duane_wade

·
Premium Member
7,288 Posts
ROLE REVERSAL: One of my two every week shooting buddies buys guns and ammo. Her husband knows how to shoot, has guns and shoots "occasionally" but isn't into it. She is probably going to buy one more gun soon and has a couple cases of ammo on back order. He doesn't complain. He just doesn't care to shoot. She is very soon going to begin to carry also. I met the husband and he is not a prissy guy. Not in any way. He just doesn't care to shoot.

That has nothing to do with the question posed by the OP, but the whole thread has gone off topic so I though I'd toss that bit of information in.

Reactions: surefire7
21 - 35 of 35 Posts