Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On March 13, 2010, the Firearms Academy of Seattle will be hosting an amazing holster program for women. Led by the managing editor of Concealed Carry Magazine, Kathy Jackson (that's me...), participants will be able to get their hands on a huge variety of holsters and carry options from many different makers.

• Belt holsters? You bet! We'll talk about range holsters versus concealment holsters. We'll discuss IWB and OWB options. We'll explain how men's bodies are different from women's bodies (Newsflash! The shapes are different...), and how that affects your holster choices. And, of course, we'll get our hands on a whole bunch of different holsters from different companies for side-by-side comparisons. You can try them on for style and comfort, seeing how they work on YOUR body.

• Belts? Oh yes! If you're one of those women who "just can't wear" a belt, come along and discover an exciting secret about gun belts designed especially for women.

• Purses? Yup. We'll have them – and we'll talk about exactly how a purse designed for concealed carry differs from an ordinary purse. We'll discuss which features to look for and how to know which features to avoid. Companies who have already sent purse products for us to compare side-by-side include Galco, Coronado, Gun Tote'n Mamas, Ladies Protection LLC, CC's Designer Concealed Carry from Woolstenhulme, and more!

• Shoulder holsters? Ankle holsters? Bra holsters? Thigh holsters? Belly bands? Yes, yes, yes, and yes! We'll have samples of all these holster types and more! And we'll discuss the nitty-gritty details of each holster type as we get our hands into the works with side-by-side brand comparisons. No punches held, no holds barred: we'll tell you what's good, bad, and ugly about each possibility, and give you the tools you need in order to make smart choices for yourself.

• Fashion tips for the real world: how to integrate your carry handgun and your holster choices into your existing wardrobe with comfort and style.

Women, if you've ever wanted to become a savvy holster shopper, this is your chance. Bring your pens and paper, because you'll want to take notes. And bring your friends: this is going to be a blast!

Details

The Holster Extravaganza is sponsored by the FAS Women's Study Group, and it is open to any woman who wants to attend (not just graduates of FAS). Tell your friends!

Date: March 13, 2010
Time: 10 am – 4 pm
Cost: $20 classroom fee
Bring: lunch and your entire box of holster rejects

WOMEN ONLY.

pax

PS If you are a holstermaker or produce a concealed-carry product, especially if it's designed especially for women, please contact me. I'd sure like to show your products to others at this event.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bogieb ~

Thanks for the encouraging word. :) (Let's just say, "First things first," but it's possible that there's some traveling in my future.)

I'll be contacting holstermakers directly about this program, because it's such a beautiful opportunity to get their products in front of people.

pax

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Excellent idea for an event! I hope a good number of people take advantage of the offering. At the LFI course a couple years back, I recall a lady holster designer standing up for ~15mins to describe the problem and how her products and customized fitting help to address some of the issues. It was amazing to see how many differences there are. Well worth the ticket.

Bogieb ~

Thanks for the encouraging word. :) (Let's just say, "First things first," but it's possible that there's some traveling in my future.)
Kathy, if it hasn't already been thought of and if the venue will be presenters sitting at a table or podium to lead the discussions, then perhaps capturing video of the session will be worth doing. If it can be prepped and published inexpensively, then it might be a great way to spread the word. Just a thought.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ccw9mm,

You're the second person to suggest that this morning. Hmmm! :cool: Guess I'd better add that to my list of things to do...

pax

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
For the knowledge you would get from Kathy a trip to this area would be worth it. I fly at least twice a year to train with these people and you can get an airline ticket on the cheap nowadays. Car rental from Portland or Seattle is inexpensive and you can take a nice vacation and see the area. Visit the original Starbcks, hang out with at the coffee shop Frasier Crane did, :bier:
Better yet, drive around Chehalis in the country and admire the scenary. When you are there you will get a chance to see the fantastic array of courses designed for women that Kathy, Diane, and Gila teach.
In today's world having such educated, charming, and tactically competant instructors is a God-send.
There are a few don't miss classes each year, this is one of them, you won't carry if you are not comfortable doing so.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Sounds good so I sent this link to a female friend. She’s waiting for her CCW to arrive any day. Also, I think the video idea may serve a large audience following the event. Heck, you could even post it as a payable download.
Regards,

·
Premium Member
3,019 Posts
PM in bound Kathy and sign me up.

Several MN carry and NRA instructors have many women only carry classes and Intro to firearms classes for beginners get to know all different types of guns. It is a great way to introduce women into carry and shooting in general.

I wish more women would carry. My wife started carrying about a year ago.

Looks like a great time and good job. :congrats:

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
You can try them on for style and comfort, seeing how they work on YOUR body.

• Shoulder holsters? Ankle holsters? Bra holsters? Thigh holsters? Belly bands? Yes, yes, yes, and yes! We'll have samples of all these holster types and more! And we'll discuss the nitty-gritty details of each holster type as we get our hands into the works with side-by-side brand comparisons. No punches held, no holds barred: we'll tell you what's good, bad, and ugly about each possibility, and give you the tools you need in order to make smart choices for yourself.

The Holster Extravaganza is sponsored by the FAS Women's Study Group, and it is open to any woman who wants to attend (not just graduates of FAS). Tell your friends!

Cost: $20 classroom fee

WOMEN ONLY.

pax
Darn!! How about if us ulgy guys get dressed up in a skirt?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'd love to learn more about the results of the event. Been looking for a holster for my wife, to no avail...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looking forward to SHOT Show & hoping to meet some holstermakers there! :)

I've had a lot of interest via email about the show, and truth be told I'm a little nervous about how large the crowd will be -- hope it's not too crowded! -- but we'll have lots of good holsters to show off, and I've got several giggles up my sleeve too.

We're going to have a hoot!

pax

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
Thanks for bumping!

I'm putting this on my calendar. When the time gets closer, I'll post to see if anyone from the N of Seattle/Everett area wants to carpool.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Pax, is this going to be down at Chehalis site or up at Norpoit site?
Looks like it going to be down south. 9MMare how for north are you?

·
Registered
237 Posts
ALAS I can NOT come, I am a male.

Wait a moment I WERA A KILT, MMM???:blink:

I really would like to see the event as I teach a lot of women.

BTW, a PM sent as to who I can alert on this.

Puffer

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
On March 13, 2010, the Firearms Academy of Seattle will be hosting an amazing holster program for women. Led by the managing editor of Concealed Carry Magazine, Kathy Jackson (that's me...), participants will be able to get their hands on a huge variety of holsters and carry options from many different makers.
Now why didn't you have this offered when I was stationed over at Bangor 9 years ago???

I'd had my wife over there just because..........

1 - 20 of 40 Posts