Defensive Carry banner

Wonder if carry might have made this different

2K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Rock and Glock 
#1 ·
Hard to tell - impossible even but - had this guy been maybe more alert and carrying - he could have been more aware to expecting trouble and reacted accordingly - plus maybe too he could have escaped the situation - who knows.

The moment anyone approached me for a cash handout, I'd be probably straight into orange if not bright red!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Man's neck slashed after refusing a demand for money.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/irwinbank/s_398393.html

A 20-year-old man was slashed with a knife Friday night in Oakland, police said. He was inside the Exxon gas station on McKee Place about 8:22 p.m. when a stranger asked him for money for cigarettes and he refused, according to a police report. The stranger cut the man's neck once with a knife.
Police did not identify the victim, who they said walked to Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh for treatment and was released Saturday. He gave no description of his attacker.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think being armed would have been beneficial to this individual. While it might not have stopped the attack,(not enough time) I think since the victim was able to walk to a hospital, he had enough energy to have drawn his weapon and put the attacker in a better place.

#4 ·
I've been approached - asked for money\handouts a few times in Mobile Alabama. Couple times gave a couple dollars but most times I don't give anything. Haven't had any problems yet. I do try to be aware and ready if a someone I turn down does cause a problem.

#5 ·
I think that is a hard one to prepare for anyway cause the threat was I'm sure very quick. That just goes to show you that anything can happen to anybody at anytime. Being prepared is the least you can do. It is just to bad the he as you said was alittle under age yet for a permit. I am glad the kid survived! BG's are just rude.

Ti.

#6 ·
This is a situation in which the mind is the weapon and the gun is only an ineffective tool. In force on force drills I've found out that at close range you need to do something other than just go for the gun.

If he had been a CCW person, he might have been hanging out at places like right here and learned that the gun is not a magic talisman that wards off all evil. He might have taken some classes in which he had to do a Teuller Drill at 3 yards or less.

If he is not a CCW person, there is a good chance that he did a "deer in the headlights" when the attack came. Having a gun is desirable, but may not be enough.

#7 ·
The sense of it that I get from this is that if you allow anybody to get close enough to use a knife on you, there won't be time to draw. Time to go hand to hand. Homeless guys aren't usually experienced knife fighters (in my meager experience) so if you're on your toes and have the right training, you can avoid getting cut.

I guess the key is to recognize the threat (anybody close to you should be considered such) then decide to get aggressive enough....quickly enough.

#8 ·
Had hooker hit on me in a stop and rob in Memphis a couple of years ago. Got behind me in the checkout and wanted me to pay for her cigs. A very loud 'GET BACK' and she fell back into what I believe was her pimps arms. Paid for my coffee and left quickly.

You do not even talk to these people if you are smart. One hand was near gun under vest, but not needed.

#9 ·
If at all possible the best thing to do is try and keep some distance between you and them. Distance = options! Easy to say, hard to do sometimes. Try to keep an eye out for these panhandlers and watch for any sudden moves, by them, toward you.

#10 ·
Slasher age unkown, slashee 20 too young for a CCW in my state. this almost sounds like confrontation between two street people that knew each other, i.e. he was at a gas station and he walked to the Hospital, he had no car. If he were a employee he would have done a 911.

#13 ·
That's a great example of an attacker getting inside the danger zone. There's just no reaction time available. My son in Boston starts yelling at panhandlers in German if they get too close. He doesn't yell nice things - they're typically so startled they give him a WIDE berth. (Since the Republic of Boston has banned everthing else) :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.