Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I see more than a few of us on here who are clergy in one form or another who are also pro-firearms, pro-carry, and even those who CC in church or whatnot. I would like this thread to be an introduction of those of us who are in that sub-group on the forum who are vocational clergy (full- or part-time).

Me:

MinistrMalic-got the nickname Minister Malice when I was bi-vocational from some of my employees in my "regular" job who thought it was hilarious that I am a pastor and a self-defense nut.

I am the senior pastor of a SBC-affiliated church in the suburbs of Phoenix, AZ. We run in the neighborhood of 150-180 in typical attendance, run more like a Bible church than a typical Baptist church. We have elders (5 including me) who all know I carry and are perfectly happy with it.

I am a self-defense enthusiast who studies martial arts as well as armed combat (currently a green belt in American Kenpo, working hard to get my brown requirements done).

I love my Lord, His people, and consider it part of my responsibility to graze, guide, and GUARD the sheep He has put in my fold. (three Gs...yeah, we're still at least kinda Baptist!)

How about you?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I am a full time Youth Minister in VA. We are a Christian Church/Church of Christ in Central VA running about 150 a week.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am the senior pastor of an SBC church that runs around 230 in Missouri. I have studied martial arts, and I have always liked the idea of being able to defend myself and those I love. I have possessed a concealed carry permit for about a year now.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
:wave:

Ordained 1980 (Evangelical Church) (still ordained there)

Active Duty Army Chaplain 1980-2004 (plus 6 years prior service).

Retired in 2004 from active duty--they said I had to go--time to let the younger guys have a turn. Called and moved to very rural south-central Montana. Now part-time Pastoral Counselor (Licensed Marriage and FAmily Therapist since 1993) and part-time Hospital Chaplain.

(and small-time horse trainer and rancher--just yesterday put 500+ pounds of steaks, roasts and burger into the freezer) :image035:

Still Ordained and active full-time ministry (well, I guess two part-times = full time :wink:)

I was raised out in very rural Oregon logging country and learned to shoot at a very early age. Used a variety of weapons in my varied Army Career. I think my favorites were the venerable 1911 .45 (my EDC), the M-14 and the 105mm tank cannon :image035: (although the last one is a bit difficult to CC :blink:)

I love the Lord, love my family, and love those whom the Lord has placed in my care. Walk softly and carry a loaded .45 :35:

Here is a picture from our place:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
The Salvation Army.

43 years active ministry; retired 2.5 years. Same for my wife. The last 14 years were in administrative positions, primarily disaster relief operations.

I've been a shooter all these years, but not always carrying. I did have a friend back in the late 70s who told people I keep a .45 in the pulpit. As soon as someone gets saved, I send them straight to Heaven before they have a chance to backslide (Baptists don't have that problem. :yup:) :danceban:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm ordained by the Universal Life Church. I am a wedding DJ and have been to wedding were minster did't show up or was late and had to do the wedding. I'm Baptist.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am in my last year of seminary at Baptist Bible Seminary Clarks Summit Pa. My pastor Carries and so do 3 of the deacons in our church as well as around 10 other people in the church. Some times you lead the sheep by protecting them from the wolves.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I pastor a small SBC congregation in southeastern Oklahoma. I used to carry in the late 90's in Texas before I got into full-time ministry, and determined late last year that it was necessary to be prepared to protect myself, my family, and if necessary, the people of my congregation. I carry everywhere it's legal to do so, which includes the pulpit on Sundays.

·
Registered
983 Posts
MinistrMalic

You need to post quickly to get away from that number. :ahhhhh:

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
UMC, FL. Sr Pastor with av'g attendance of 300+.
Ordained for 33+ years.
Carrying for 2 1/2 years, ever since VT got me off the dime.

Raised with guns, 'tho not much in the way of handguns until the last few years.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I travel full-time as a Christian Country recording artist going to all denominations. Ordained with a non-denominational ministry and have been in ministry for over 21 years. Actually I'm in the middle of a tour as I post this and yes I'm cc-ing.

Good to see these post.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm an ordained Baptist preacher and a missionary attending a Baptist church in the Dallas Metroplex area. My pastor doesn't carry, but I can name several, including retired missionaries, pastors, deacons, youth pastors, etc.., in my church who carry regularly. Safest church in town :wave:

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I'm a Missionary Baptist pastor in North Central Arkansas. Been there going on 25 years now. That's half my life. Country church with country people. Not surprising to see someone showing off a firearm purchase on any given Sunday.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You need to post quickly to get away from that number. :ahhhhh:
Ain't the number itself I am scared of, but that's a biblical interpretive question now isn't it? :hand5:

Glad to see all of the clergy onboard! Lots of SBC here, which surprises me not one bit. You know, those Baptists aren't supposed to drink anyway, so might as well be the designated driver AND the designated CC.:king:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Does being a theology professor at a major Baptist Theological Seminary count?

By the way, my screen name is an old KJV unit of measure, and was chosen becasue I just like the way it sounds, and it is phonetically similar to an old nickname I had in high school.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am in my last year of seminary at Baptist Bible Seminary Clarks Summit Pa. My pastor Carries and so do 3 of the deacons in our church as well as around 10 other people in the church. Some times you lead the sheep by protecting them from the wolves.
It's a small world-I attended BBC several years ago.

I am an associate pastor of a Reformed, Evangelical church in southern Indiana and the dean of a pastors' college in my church. We believe that God has ordained men to be leaders, and that leaders must be willing to defend those under their care--husbands, fathers, elders, pastors--all of them need to be willing to fight for the lives of their sheep and beat off wolves of all kinds.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I have been a pastor for over 33 years.

I'm a pastor of a Missionary Baptist Church in Central Texas.

We run them all but only catch those that the Lord gives us.

Many in the church have their CHL and carry at church.

I have been carring for one year now and carry in all the services as well as every where it is legal.

Wife took her CHL class before me and encouraged me to also.

We work together as a team for our common defense and look out for each other.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yup

Been a pastor for 15 years. Been carrying for about 1 year. A lot has changed and the church is no longer the sacred place. Churches get broken into quite often and pastors have been attacked. Churches are also magnets for all kinds of people looking for all kinds of things.

I choose to take responsibility and do my part to protect myself and my family. Jesus wasn't a doormat and neither am I.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts