Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I helped my Dad plant trees at the RV park he manages today. I carried my new XD-357 all day. It was hard dirty work as the trees weighed between 400-600 pounds with the root ball. There was lots of digging and loose dirt, and on top of that it was very windy.

My gun was carried concealed under my hoody all day in the factory supplied holster. I stopped out in the desert to check it as I figured it would be pretty dirty. I was surprised at how dirty it did get as I thought the hoody would offer more protection than it did.

The pictures don’t do it justice as it was full of fine dust. Granted, I realize it isn’t nearly as dirty as the un-realistic YouTube tests.. I wanted to see if I could depend on it as is so I shot empty this mag without so much as blowing it off. It ran fine and locked back. That was no surprise to me as I figured it would and I feel this was a real world reliability test. I was glad it didn’t let me down.

I did however take it off and replaced it with my shiny clean G43x until I can give the XD a proper cleaning. In the past I’d take the gun off and leave it in the truck while I had such a project under way. I’ve committed to the carry life and it felt good to work so hard and maintain defensive carry.

Good day,

Todd

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
My M&P gets covered in fiberglass dust on a regular basis. Always runs fine. Wipe it down daily and clean it weekly.

·
Premium Member
8,382 Posts
You would be surprised at how dirty a gun can get before it will no longer fire.
Been out in west Texas where the dust/sand gets into every nook and cranny. It gets in your teeth, up your nose, ears. heck even in your underwear.
1911 still shoots. I don't recommend using it much until a through cleaning as sand in the slide and barrel can be quite abrasive. But in an emergency it still works.

·
Premium Member
8,118 Posts
One time my friend and I were at the club range and a couple of the male members were at the steel range where we were. One of them pulled out his carry gun to show my friend (he kept it safely pointed down range, even though that is bad practice) and the lint flew everywhere, with the gun still covered with a fairly thick layer of the lint. So sand, no grit - just lint! I didn't say anything, but I was tempted to say, "That baby badly needs a bath!!!!"

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
I carry my usual 642 AIWB while doing practically anything and that position generally keeps the gun pretty clean but, it does get soaked in sweat doing physical labor and that does attract more dirt and lint throughout the day.
Good to know your gun continues to work in real world conditions. Builds confidence in your tools.
When I see these beautiful pictures of pristine carry guns I often wonder how they keep them so nice. Mine get scratches and scraps and they all show holster wear from being drawn so much.
All my holsters show wear and tear.
Even my favorite hunting shotgun which I have gone to great care to keep looking nice these last 40 years. The bluing is thinning where my hands make constant contact while carrying in the field.

·
Registered
41,382 Posts
That holster needs a lot of soap and water also.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I’ve taken my S&W 6904 or a Glock when we go ATV riding and they have gotten considerably dusty, muddy and wetter than I would ever expect during normal carry, both have functioned perfectly.

·
Registered
20,047 Posts
I haven’t cleaned my G26 since probably April of 2020. I just brush the bolt face every once and a while and get behind the extractor, and add a drop or two of oil.
The 1911’s and revolvers also run just fine without constantly being dithered over like they were some sort of delicate instruments.

·
Premium Member
8,320 Posts
The Internet has given rise to two extreme schools of thought for carry guns. The first is the "extreme field test" of carry guns, and the second is the "autoclave cleaning" of carry guns.

The former involves all types of bizarre "testing," e.g., coating the gun in mud, then in sand, then urinating on the receiver, and finally covering the gun in pig blood as the analog to human blood. Oh, and then a final mud coating before firing.

The latter involves a complete tear down of the gun and ultrasonic cleaning if anything so much as bellybutton lint gets within three inches of the gun (this presents serious complications for any person with a gun cleaning obsessive-compulsive disorder who also carries AIWB).

People can do what they like, but I just don't have the time nor interest in weekly field stripping and cleaning.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I helped my Dad plant trees at the RV park he manages today. I carried my new XD-357 all day. It was hard dirty work as the trees weighed between 400-600 pounds with the root ball. There was lots of digging and loose dirt, and on top of that it was very windy.
Oh, man, those factory freebie holsters are crap! "suboptimal". Seriously, not good for much.

·
Registered
456 Posts
You would be surprised at how dirty a gun can get before it will no longer fire.
Been out in west Texas where the dust/sand gets into every nook and cranny. It gets in your teeth, up your nose, ears. heck even in your underwear.
1911 still shoots. I don't recommend using it much until a through cleaning as sand in the slide and barrel can be quite abrasive. But in an emergency it still works.
Isn't that what counts?

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Carrying IWB, my weapon stays free of dirt and dust fairly well, even doing dirty work. It does pick up tons of lint and fuzz, however. After a week, it looks like it's growing it's own.

Reactions: justahunter

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
I carry in my front left pocket, in an Alabama Holster. A J Frame of some kind, it’s been my 351c for the last three months. It’s dinged and dirty and scratched, so is the holster. Both get wiped down at night before bed. Shavings and dirt and whatnot from the farm chores and then building the barn causes sawdust and more dirt. Use to carry a P365 in the same pocket with an Alabama Holster, got so dirty it jammed after the first shot. Went to my G26, it just works clean dirty dry or wet. Stay with the j frames cause they are lighter and carry rat shot in the first two rounds. Run into more rats than bad guys these days. Hard to get rat shot to cycle reliable in most of my semis

Will say neither my G43 or 42 worked well dirty either, so don’t want Sig Fanboys getting their panties in a wad. Just small semis don’t do well in dirty environments. Even had revolvers get so dirty they jammed and would rotate. But that was after several weeks or abuse and neglect.
Lefty

1 - 13 of 13 Posts