Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my Ruger American 22 out to my buddies today to do some ammo tests. As usualy I had an absolute blast shooting the rifle. I just REALLY enjoy shooting that rifle and longer ranges. I fired 5 round strings of CCI standard velocity, Federal bulk Automatch and Federal HV match. Range was 125 yards because that is where my buddy has his shooting rest setup. I know that is really starting to stretch a 22 but for me that's part of the fun. The winner of the day was the Federal standard velocity. I fired 10 - 5 rounds strings. I ended up with an average 3 1/4 inch group. I was pretty impressed with that for a 22 at 125 yards.

No on to the question. I have been kicking around the idea of buying a CZ 452 as it's kind of the gold standard for off the shelf bold action 22 accuracy. The question is - Do you think it would have done any better than my trusty Ruger American or am I just wasting money? Right now I am trying to prioritizing my money for ammo and mags before the elections and don't really want to waste money on a new rifle if I'm not really going to see a difference. What do you think?

Reactions: 5lima30ret and PEF

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Were you shooting with open sights or a scope? What scope? Off a solid bench with good bags or a bipod? What kind of groups did you regularly shoot with your previous .22 rifle? I hear good things about the Ruger American. Yet I've SHOT & SEEN dandy things from the CZ 452. I'm a pretty serious rimfire rifleman (Anschutz 54 SuperMatch, Vorquartsen Superlite, and LOTS of tries BEFORE deciding on JUST those two). 3.25" for 5 rounds at 125 yards is no-doubt good-shootin', yet (respectfully) it's not OMG wonderous. Long story too long already, I can't be sure. More details would help! My initial guess is ...no better with the CZ. But the potential for MUCH better might be YES! :biggrin2:

·
Super Moderator
19,373 Posts
It's a crap shoot. A few years ago the CZ452 would likely have an edge, but the 452 was succeeded by the 455 about 4 years ago and today's 452 will be put together with "cleanup" parts. And because the 452 is out of regular production, of course an "aura" has been built up about its superiority over the 455, and the myth grows stronger every day.

On a bang-for-the buck level, I think the RAR wins, especially if you're just going to shoot the gun and not tinker with it. If you do want to play with improvements to the trigger, bedding, etc., then I think the CZ (452 or 455) has more potential.

I like wood and blue steel, which is why I have a pair of CZ455s - a Varminter in .22 mag and a Full Stock in LR. I dearly love my Ruger 77/22, but the CZs' action is way smoother and the biggest fault I find with the CZs is that the magazines don't sit flush with the stock. I.f a friend challenged me to a head-to-head match with a .22 bolt gun, the 455 FS would be the gun coming out of the safe

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
I own a CZ 452 (E model I think). I bought it a few years back. Bought it because I like shooting good quality bolt action .22s. And its a fine rifle. Zero complaints other than I have hardly ever touched it.

I do think that there is a reason its so highly regarded, and well, yeah think it would give a decent marksman an edge over the other gun you mentioned. How much of an edge, and would you consider it worth it or not, I dont know.

To tell you the truth though, it sounds to me like you are going to buy one, lol. I actually think its wise to do so. No one ever talks about banning bolt actions, and good ones are somewhat rare in The US today.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Were you shooting with open sights or a scope? What scope? Off a solid bench with good bags or a bipod? What kind of groups did you regularly shoot with your previous .22 rifle? I hear good things about the Ruger American. Yet I've SHOT & SEEN dandy things from the CZ 452. I'm a pretty serious rimfire rifleman (Anschutz 54 SuperMatch, Vorquartsen Superlite, and LOTS of tries BEFORE deciding on JUST those two). 3.25" for 5 rounds at 125 yards is no-doubt good-shootin', yet (respectfully) it's not OMG wonderous. Long story too long already, I can't be sure. More details would help! My initial guess is ...no better with the CZ. But the potential for MUCH better might be YES! :biggrin2:
Decent quality but not high end 24 power scope which I had dialed to 12 power because anything above that and the eye relief gets pretty wonky. I was shooting off a pretty unstable table off a plastic rest. I'm sure I could have done a but better with a more stable platform. I didn't have a previous 22 bolt action.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Thanks Rollo! With a mid-grade 12x scope off a plastic rest from a wobbly table? Brother, there's too many "moving parts" for me to give you a justifiable opinion. Most of the accuracy runs on out-of-the-box .22 LR Ruger Americans suggest that your shooting is fine & dandy. They're holding approximately 3 MOA. And, since you've not burned a ton of trigger-time on .22 rifles, you need to know that rimfires are among the MOST SENSITIVE about ammo selection. And it's more trial & error than hard science. Best bet is to buy a WIDE variety of brands and run 'em ALL (cleaning between trials). Sometimes two different examples of the exact SAME RIFLE will vary widely on it's "favorite" ammo. You might also visit Rimfire Central (.com). Those cats know rimfires like rats...know Cheetos!

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Rolol You should find HV rounds may shoot better at 75 yards but become unstable as they fall below the speed of sound and group size will increase quickly with more random size groups .

Standard velocity ammo tends to shoot better groups at longer range but with more bullet drop . You still have to find what your barrel likes best and that can change from rifle to rifle or between lot numbers on the box of ammo . Our 4 .22lr rifles all shoot CC standard fairly well in general but I have better shooting cheaper ammo they like better , One lot number of federal standard velocity 711b flat out shoots well in all our .22lrs . That was some $4.10 a box ammo .

It can also take 20 to 50 rounds fired before you " see " how well any given ammo can really shoot .

I have shot some SK ammo followed by some CCI standard and saw the best group ever with the CCi ammo at 100 yards with the next 5 rounds do to the lube used on the SK ammo that was in the bore but as that lube was shoot away the groups went back to there normal group size .

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
I think you are stretching the range quite a bit with a .22 lr. At that range there is quite an arc. I think you need to consider a .17 hmr which will do MUCH better at the ranges you are shooting. I have an inexpensive Savage Mod 93F in .17 hmr that will shoot 1-1/2" groups all day long off a rest (and I am am an average shooter). When I lived in NC I shot groundhogs at 100-135 yds, as long as they weren't moving when I shot, they were 1 shot kills. The .17hmr is very fun to shoot and really increases your range quite a bit even more than a .22 magnum. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
5lima Shooting a 22lr at longer ranges may not be about longer range hunting . More about just having fun !! While your pleased with 1.5" groups all day long with your 17hmr savage I can spend the same money you do per round for ammo and reduce my group size by half to 2/3rds over what your pleased with using my savage BV or a 10/22 that's had a few parts changed !! . A couple 10 to 11 dollar a box ammo I use will give me .500 to .625" moa groups . OR I can grab my AR15 that will shoot 3/4" MOA groups with wolf gold for only 2 or 3 cents more a round and shoot farther than a 17hmr is capable of doing . So lets stay on track with a 22lr . There way to much fun and 1.5 moa groups can be done with standard velocity ammo costing about 50 to 3/4 as much as a 17hmr cost to shoot and not bother any near by neighbors the way a 22mag or 17hmr can with a high velocity BANG .

BV- http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l444/hardluk1/102_0421_zpslayyx2zs.jpg?1470747314895&1470747318524&1470747318815&1470747323268

1 - 9 of 9 Posts