Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Currently I carry a Smith and Wesson M&P9 compact. It conceals great! But, I'd like to get a second 9mm handgun for two reasons:

- To keep a pistol at home since my wife is home when I'm not (we have rifles, a shotgun and revolver, but she also wants a semi-auto handgun at home)
- It's getting warmer here in Oklahoma, and that means one layer of clothing, i.e. a plain T-shirt

I'm thinking of going subcompact for the summer months, since the slightly longer grip is the problem I'm having when carrying at 3 o'clock. I can angle it but prefer not to, for drawing purposes.

So, here are my thoughts. I'd appreciate your opinion(s) on them:

1. Get another M&P9c. Wife and I both shoot ours well, and I can carry one with a flush, 10-round magazine which will conceal perfectly under a plain T. A plus for another M&P9c is I already have a holster (N82 Tactical Professional) and a half-dozen other magazines for it.
2. Get a Glock 26 Gen 4. I shoot these well, and its size would be perfect for summer carry. Furthermore, I can load it with larger magazines during the cooler months when layers help conceal. It comes with three magazines, which is ace.
3. Get a Kahr CM9. Never shot one but I've heard great things and I can get them locally. Sadly, I cannot try before I buy. I've held one, it felt nice. It comes with one magazine, so I'd need to buy another.
4. Get a Beretta Nano. Never shot one but I've heard mostly positive things and I can get them locally. Sadly, I cannot try before I buy. I've never held one. It comes with one magazine, so I'd need to buy another.

So, what say you?

Thanks!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Over the choices present I would go with the G26 or the m&p9c. Mainly for the reasons you already mentioned but the m&p has a slight advantage because you already have the holster and mags.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'd go with a Glock 26, but not a gen 4.....I like my gen 3. Over 3,000 rounds and never a problem. I had a Kahr product and it was problematic and the Beretta Nano is too new for my tastes and there have been some negative reviews. I like tried and true handguns and 3rd gen Glocks fits that definition.

·
Premium Member
37,056 Posts
I would go with another 9c, for reasons already listed. Also, I personally prefer the ergonomics of the M&P over the 26. Kahrs and Berettas are out for me because they aren't Glocks or M&Ps.

·
Registered
279 Posts
For practicality purposes, I'd get the M&P9C since you already have a holster that will work an extra mags.

Personally though, I like the G26 better since that's actually my carry gun.

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
I live in hot and humid Florida and would recommend the CM9 which I carried all last summer. I liked the gun a lot but needed it for a complicated trade. The Glock 26 is fat and not so easy to conceal if you just wear a Tee shirt as I do in the summer. I would go single stack. My current summer carry are the Sig P238, P938, LCR and XDs. All disappear under a Tee shirt and can be pocket carried in the regular pocket in shorts. I never buy two of the same guns as after you spend the money it hits you that you really did not get anything fun or exciting. You just got two of the same thing. :) Do people who buy two cars buy the same car? I do not think so in most cases.

If limited to your choices I would go with the CM9. I am seriously thinking of getting another one especially since I have a few hundred dollars worth of custom and exotic leather holsters for it. Only reason I am not getting one now is I cannot bring myself to pay the current prices. I bought a Shield last year for $369 and saw one today for $699. I paid $369 for the CM9 and now they want over $400. I have a lot of guns, more than I can carry in a week, so I will just wait for things to settle down. I buy and sell a lot of guns and the worst thing for me to do is buy high and then sell low 2-3 years from now when supply meets up with demand.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Currently I carry a Smith and Wesson M&P9 compact. It conceals great! But, I'd like to get a second 9mm handgun for two reasons:

- To keep a pistol at home since my wife is home when I'm not
- It's getting warmer here in Oklahoma, and that means one layer of clothing, i.e. a plain T-shirt

I'm thinking of going subcompact for the summer months, since the slightly longer grip is the problem I'm having when carrying at 3 o'clock. I can angle it but prefer not to, for drawing purposes.

So, here are my thoughts. I'd appreciate your opinion(s) on them:

1. Get another M&P9c. Wife and I both shoot ours well, and I can carry one with a flush, 10-round magazine which will conceal perfectly under a plain T. A plus for another M&P9c is I already have a holster (N82 Tactical Professional) and a half-dozen other magazines for it.
2. Get a Glock 26 Gen 4. I shoot these well, and its size would be perfect for summer carry. Furthermore, I can load it with larger magazines during the cooler months when layers help conceal. It comes with three magazines, which is ace.
3. Get a Kahr CM9. Never shot one but I've heard great things and I can get them locally. Sadly, I cannot try before I buy. I've held one, it felt nice. It comes with one magazine, so I'd need to buy another.
4. Get a Beretta Nano. Never shot one but I've heard mostly positive things and I can get them locally. Sadly, I cannot try before I buy. I've never held one. It comes with one magazine, so I'd need to buy another.

So, what say you?

Thanks!
Unfortunately, all I can do is ADD to your list of choices, but I think you'll be very happy with a Bersa BP9cc. Magazine capacity is 8+1, very accurate, and thin. Just try one. I think you'll like it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i have a CM-9, which has been 100% reliable with many brands and types of ammo, and i shoot it very well (for me). i recommend it.

to me (twice certified as a Glock Armorer), the 26 is fatter than i'd like for someone who already has an MP-9C.

i personally would not own a Nano at this point because it has no slide release lever, meaning that the slide is hard to manually lock back if it were necessary to do so to clear a double-feed malfunction. 20 years ago, i would have jumped on one, but today there are better options (IMO).

of your choices, i'd choose between the S&W and the Kahr.

i usually stick to what the OP has laid out as possibilities, but in this case: how about a Shield? single- stack, same takedown/reassembly as your current Smith.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Well, I carry Glocks, I own the 27,23,22 and 30. Mostly carry the 23. My wife has confinscated the 27. Its a great gun..
My vote is for the G26.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the thoughts so far! I appreciate it.

While discussing with my wife, the conversation turned into this: Why not buy a gun for home defense, and simply use my M&P9c with the flush mag during summer months? And, yeah, that makes sense.

With that said, the local shop has a used SW9VE that we might go check out tomorrow. It's used for about $300 with 3 mags. I've shot the .40 version and was completely surprised by it. I've read almost all positive reviews for the 9mm version, so it's an option for a home defense pistol that will 1) fit in my Remora and 2) accept our Streamlight TLR-4.

Unfortunately, all I can do is ADD to your list of choices, but I think you'll be very happy with a Bersa BP9cc. Magazine capacity is 8+1, very accurate, and thin. Just try one. I think you'll like it.
The local shop I just mentioned also has one of those and I'm going to read up on it tonight. It's about $400, but looks promising.

I can't find a single Shield in my area to save my life.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Why not buy a full size M&P? You could use your current crop of holsters and the full size mags would work in the compact M&P on the range.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I've been carrying my Nano in a Garrett Silent Thunder IWB for a while and really love it. It's small enough to virtually disappear that way but it's very accurate and easy to shoot. The 8 round mag makes it really easy to shoot. The trigger is a little heavy and somewhat long but very smooth, no mushiness and with a very clean break. The Nano has replaced all my other guns for CCW at the moment, although I do have a couple new holsters coming for my HK USP. If I can manage to conceal it I will add it to the rotation.

·
Premium Member
10,172 Posts
...I'd like to get a second 9mm handgun for two reasons:

- To keep a pistol at home since my wife is home when I'm not
- It's getting warmer here in Oklahoma, and that means one layer of clothing, i.e. a plain T-shirt...
I suggest you place your wife's needs in-front of your wants.

Since you already have a firearm that you use for your daily protection, I think your wife should choose the firearm she is comfortable shooting since she would be the one using the second firearm for her protection...This is a priority.

Your wife needs to have a gun at home.

You seem more concerned about what you want in a secondary carry gun than what your wife needs for her primary firearm.

Take your wife to the range and have her rent some guns and find out what is best for her. Then take her to the store and let her buy the gun that is best for her. After you have done that, then you can consider fulfilling your wants.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Since you already have a firearm that you use for your daily protection, I think your wife should choose the firearm she is comfortable shooting since she would be the one using the second firearm for her protection...This is a priority.

You seem more concerned about what you want in a secondary carry gun than what your wife needs for her primary firearm.

Take your wife to the range and have her rent some guns and find out what is best for her. Then take her to the store and let her buy the gun that is best for her. After you have done that, then you can consider fulfilling your wants.
If you had continued reading you'd see that I mentioned there's no way for me to currently rent guns to try out. The primary range that would have the best selection currently has no selection, and the only options open to us are a couple Academy stores and smaller gun shops without range access.

Also, if you continued reading, you'd have read my reply to others about discussing this with my wife and us having plans to visit a local shop tomorrow to check guns out together.

You're also assuming we don't have other means of home defense available. We have two rifles she's competent at using, and also a revolver and shotgun. She doesn't mind the rifles, but would prefer a semiauto handgun for home defense. Which is one of my reasons for getting a new gun for myself so the Smith can stay at home since she likes it and is proficient with it.

Still, I appreciate your concern, because I can see why you'd think the way you do and I admire it. My wording wasn't the best.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts

+1 What he said!!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts

So, what say you?

Thanks!
I vote Nano, but I just bought one, myself. Note, it comes with TWO mags. one 6 rnd, and one 8 rnd mag. I can buy the 8 round mags locally for $38, and the 6 round mags online for about $25-35 each
It also has available for it: many holsters, Dawson Precision front fiber optic sight (sights front and rear are user changeable with a 1.5mm allen key, no other tools needed), Trijicon tritium night sights, LaserMax and Crimson Trace lasers, Talon granulated or rubber grips for gun and extended mags, and Bedair stainless steel guide rod.

I have all of these things for mine, except the CT laser, since I have the LM version. The gun is fantastic, no problems. All of the new, curent gen Nano models function flawlessly. The first gen ones had a few issues with FTF/FTE, however Beretta appears to have resolved that, as mine hasn't had a single jam, nor have most newer ones I've read of.

For what it's worth, I'd looked at the Walther PPS, Ruger LC9, M&P Shield, and Glock 26, as well. All of them were either too bulky, had reliability issues, or had a really lousy feel in the hand. The Nano felt fantastic to me.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Currently I carry a Smith and Wesson M&P9 compact. It conceals great!

Of all the choices you've presented, for the reasons you indicate I would say that's the best choice. You both know it and shoot it well; you have the supporting gear already; you're comfortable with and enjoy the platform. It might be a bit of a "big-butt" as you say, but in all other respects it seems to be your perfect choice.

But, if the big-butt and OAL question is grating enough, consider a S&W M&P Shield 9 sub-compact. It's basically the same platform, but a smaller unit.

Fabulous gun. I've had several of the PM9's (which are the upscale version of the CM9). Perfect concealable package (size, weight, balance, shootability, concealability). Never could get them to function flawlessly, though many people do. I'm sure had I sent it to an expert gunsmith who knows the Kahr platforms cold, they could have smoothed things out. Sent 'em all back to Kahr, but that never did cure the cycling/feeding/ejection ills. Bummer, as I'd like nothing more than to have a decent PM9/CM9 in the stable, or two. Best of the breed, IMO, so long as you can get a reliable one.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Follow your own advice

While discussing with my wife, the conversation turned into this: Why not buy a gun for home defense, and simply use my M&P9c with the flush mag during summer months? And, yeah, that makes sense.
I like the OP's comment above, in which he concludes that his own concealed carry needs are already well covered, and that what he really needs is a 9mm semiauto for home defense for his wife and himself. In that case, I think he needs a larger gun with significant magazine capacity that is easy to shoot well and known for reliability. Such a gun would also serve well as a range gun or use in open carry.

The possibilities for such a gun are numerous, including new or used versions of the following:

1. Glocks - models 17 or 19
2. Sigs - models P226, P228 or P229
3. Beretta - models 92 or PX4
4. Walther PPQ

Since I am a Sig fan, I would probably look for something like a used Sig P228 for this application. Here is one that was a police trade-in gun in the $500 range:

Reactions: Eric357
1 - 20 of 37 Posts