Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would this get me started reloading? Or do I need more stuff? Do I really need the tumbler, or is it something I can get later. I'm planning on checking a couple of books out from the library, but when I get the equipment, I want to get what I need at once, so i'm not going back and ordering something else.

LEE 50Th Anniversary Breech Lock Reloading Kit 90050 - eBay (item 230361332542 end time Dec-24-09 03:48:00 PST)

Lee Loader Reloading Kit - .45 Auto #90262 - eBay (item 180442579555 end time Jan-05-10 16:36:45 PST)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
The first link shows a nice little set that would get you going with a few more items.

Get a reloading manual and keep it handy (The Bible).
Set of dies and shell holder for your specific caliber
Shell holder for the priming tool (specific for your caliber)
Set of calipers to verify what you are doing is within specs.
A reloading block or two.

Powder-Primers-Bullets

Using a tumbler will:
A. make a much better looking finished product,
B. keep your dies from getting gunked up or scratched.
Reload a few hundred rounds of uncleaned brass you will see the benefits to cleaning and polishing fired brass.

The second link you show will reload ammo but for me it would make the entire process quite a chore.

If I have missed anything (and I am sure I have) more advice should be coming
as others chime in with advice..
OMO
bosco

·
Registered
809 Posts
Midway has it cheaper and they say the only thing you need is a case length gauge, besides your components. I'm just getting into reloading myself and it sounds to me like yes, you can reload with just the kit but you will want other tools also.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'll check out Midway. I wish there was a kit you could buy, and need nothing else besides primer powder and bullets.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yep exactly what I have (Lee) It is cheap, built well built very easy for a beginner to get started with. I still dont have a case tumbler, will buy one soon though. I just clean the brass off to get the case lube off and no problems.
+1 on the calipers a definate must have bought mine at home depot

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
43,596 Posts
Reloading is the Cocaine of shooters. The always something else you just gotta have!

You didn't mention what you want to reload, how many rounds, etc. Anything will get you started, but as you learn the roapes, there's always another gaget to make things easier, better, faster, whatever.

A tumbler is great for cleaning cases. One scratch in a carbide die and it's history.
Carbide dies eliminate lubing straight-wall cases (9mm, .45, etc.), the one process in reloading I hate.
A good powder measure make the loads more consistant.

I don't know of any one kit that has everything. There's too many options for that. Press, dies, shell holder, powder measure, etc. is what's needed to start. A simple cartridge gage ( electronic micrometers are great but not necessary).

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Having all your cases the same length will make for better crimping so I would add a case trimer to the mix.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I would not be without case gages and a Lee Factory Crimp die for each handgun cartridge for which I reload. Also, carbide dies are worth double what they cost.

I assume you are reloading for handguns.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, planning on reloading .45 ACP, .40 S&W, and .308 Win. I'm hoping the book will put me on the path to getting the right stuff. Kind of like those carbide dies. I would rather get something like that out the gate, than get something else, and then upgrade later. I have a bad, bad habit of wanting "upgrades"!!

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
You might want to get something like a Dillon down the road, but you will still have a use for what you are getting.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was looking at powder and primers on the internet. Everywhere I look it seems like primers are all out of stock. Maybe it isn't such a good time to get into reloading.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just looked at Midway. Can get the Lee Anniversary kit, 4 piece carbide dies, and length gage with shell holder for 126 plus shipping

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Would this get me started reloading? Or do I need more stuff? Do I really need the tumbler, or is it something I can get later. I'm planning on checking a couple of books out from the library, but when I get the equipment, I want to get what I need at once, so i'm not going back and ordering something else.

LEE 50Th Anniversary Breech Lock Reloading Kit 90050 - eBay (item 230361332542 end time Dec-24-09 03:48:00 PST)

Lee Loader Reloading Kit - .45 Auto #90262 - eBay (item 180442579555 end time Jan-05-10 16:36:45 PST)
Pass on the Lee Loader. It only makes sense if you have severe space restrictions.

On the other Lee kit, add a couple loading trays. Something like this. They keep things organized.

I don't care for the case lube included with that kit. If you're loading a straight walled pistol cartridge, you should be getting a dieset with a carbide sizer anyway, which makes the lube question moot. Mostly.

Buy a good manual, because you'll want to keep it.

You can pass on the tumbler. Get it later, if you want.

Midway has it cheaper
I'll check out Midway
Mind the shipping.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got the book, ABCs of Reloading and have read it. I still can't decide which machine I want yet though. I definitely am aiming for a single stage. I have access to basically unlimited used wheel weights, so I'm going to try my hand at casting and will need to get equipment for that as well.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I know this is more expensive than the Lee kits, but I would highly suggest you look at the Lyman Turret Press Kit. Much heavier duty equipment and very well built. With extra tool heads, you can leave your dies set up without having to remove and readjust each time you switch calibers and the cast iron frame is tough enough to full length resize rifle calibers without twisting the frame. It comes with:
* T-Mag 2 Turret press
* Universal Trimmer with Expanded Pilot Multi-pack
* 1000XP Electronic Scale
* #55 Powder Measure
* Universal Priming Arm
* Primer Tray
* Auto Primer Feed
* Extra Decapping Pins
* 48th Edition Reloading Handbook
* Primer Catcher
* Deburring Tool
* Powder Funnel
* Case Lube Kit
* Quick Release Turret System
* 7/8" x 14 Adapter (mounts #55 powder measure in press turret)​
I do think you'll want a tumbler. I almost consider it a necessity for straight wall pistol cases. You can get a nice kit from Midway that includes a media separator (extremely useful) for $64.00. I have three of these tumblers with the oldest one being about 25 years old and they all still run strong. I recently retired them when I purchased a Dillon CV-2001 but the little Midway tumblers will serve you well.

Do buy carbide dies for your straight wall pistol cases. And for your .308, I highly recommend using a spray lube. My favorite is Hornady One-Shot.

I would also recommend a Lyman EZ case length gauge and a decent digital caliper.

Forgot. I would also suggest a hand priming tool. Much faster than press priming. Either the Lee Auto Prime or the RCBS Universal Hand Primer (my favorite). It has spring loaded jaws that function as a universal shell holder so no switching out shell holders. It also has a steel bar that isolates the primer tray during the priming process so that in the unlikely event of a primer detonation, the rest of the primers in the tray can't be ignited.

Hoss

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll read up on that set up. I'm thinking about making a purchase in February, so I will be sure to get something I'm going to be happy with, and enjoy using.

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
I started out with a lee pro 1000,I upgraded after about 6 months to Dillon and now have about 3500.00 invested in bullet casting and reloading equipment

1 - 20 of 20 Posts