Defensive Carry banner

Would you loan a weapon to a neighbor during a period of civil unrest?

• Yes, I would definitely loan a weapon to someone who I know well.

Votes: 45 47.9%
  • No, I would not loan a weapon to anyone under any circumstances.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • Other?

Votes: 20 21.3%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Some people vote in the poll but don't bother (or want to) post a reply. I've done it in the past and I am sure others have, too.
I did just the opposite. I might loan a gun to a close friend or a family member, but my close friends and family members aren't my neighbors. My neighbors moved in from California when we eased the quota restriction a few years ago. If they caught a glimpse of an AR or smelled the fragrance of Rem Oil in the air, their mushrooms would wilt.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Short answer: "No!"

I live in a semi rural area with a population of 20,000 that's over 30 miles from a metropolitan area. If SHTF, it will most likely happen in the city and we will have some lead time before it can escalate enough to impact our area. More than enough time to execute one of my bugout plans to get me & mine out of harm's way.

If SHTF in our town, over 50% of my neighborhood are LEOs, retired LEOs, & retired military. I doubt there will be a need to loan anybody anything.

·
Registered
33,875 Posts
Short answer--no. I suspect a few of them can take care of themselves in that aspect, the others would present more of a danger to themselves than the "civil unrest."

The Haitian a couple doors down is armed, I know. The red-neck trailer trash across the street I'm sure is. The rest are on their own. They should invest in personal protection rather than a bigger boat and a newer BMW. They are on their own.

·
Super Moderator
18,241 Posts
As usual, it depends.
My thoughts as well.

Yes, I would provide the kind registered nurse gal, who lives next door and who is single, a spare Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 and ammunition if she was in need during such a scenario. She's no firearms hobbyist. Beyond that, I don't know what provision she might have made for her own protection. She does date a fellow who professes to be a shooter and hunter.

Our neighbor behind us is quite well armed, hunts and shoots. Has a son who is going to be a freshman in college this fall who was raised shooting both rifles and shotguns competitively. They don't require any assistance. Across the street? Nice couple with basic firearms equipment for his use at their farm outside of town. Not hobbyists really, but can get by. Might require an infusion of ammunition though which could be provided.

Other neighbors are acquaintances and it would depend on their circumstances and attitudes. Oh, and of course the situation.

Whatever the situation proves to be, it won't have anything to do with Antifa for this entire region of Texas would be the last place that Antifa* would wish to come to throw their weight around. There ain't enough of 'em nationwide to make a decent blip on our "unrest radar."

Ginger the hen's opinion of Antifa and similar organizations

·
Registered
727 Posts
No. Never.

There are 2 people I would loan a gun to. One is a friend I go shooting with and have known for years. We've traded, sold, and borrowed each other's firearms in the past, so I'd have no issue loaning him something. The other is another old friend who I taught to shoot years ago.

·
Super Moderator
50,574 Posts
If you're a neighbor of mine, then you already know that you SHOULD arm yourself. If you choose not to do so, I will respect your decision.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I find it hard to believe that someone would hoard their stash of firearms if they were in a situation similar to what the Koreans faced in the 1992 LA riots. Neighbors did band together and shared their resources to defend the areas they live and work in and they were successful.

If armed and hostile threats are approaching and law enforcement has abandoned the area then you can bet I am handing out firearms to those that live my area that will use them against the threats. It is not going to do me any good hoarding my weapons if I am not around to ever be able to use them again.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I answered yes on the poll. Would you loan a firearm to someone you know well.
But I would not arm either of my neighbors. I wouldn't trust either of them with a gun.
Now the 80+ year old widow who used to live next door, If she asked my only question would have been "what kind of gun and how much ammo will you need. She was a tough old bird who would have had my back, and had good common sense.

My middle son just asked to borrow a deer rifle for a hunt that will most likely be in deep brush. None of his rifles are right for hunting in this area. He mostly shoots long distance. I fixed him up with a 94 Winchester and a receiver sight. I know he will take care of it like it was his own.
If his wife asked, again Id only want to know how much ammo she needed to go with it! DR

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Why on Earth would you arm unreliable people who haven’t armed themselves? What possible benefits could there be in a widespread civil unrest situation?

·
Registered
295 Posts
All my closest neighbors have guns already. They also have keys to my house and garage codes. Tight knit neighborhood with only a few houses and a single point of entry over a bridge. We've had many discussions about what we would do in the event of bad times.
I would certainly help to better equip them.

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Why on Earth would you arm unreliable people who haven’t armed themselves? What possible benefits could there be in a widespread civil unrest situation?
We have some very good friends, husband and wife, who live within walking distance of us. They are two of the most honest and honorable people I know. They both have taken a carry permit course but have not purchased guns. Both grew up in rural Wyoming, are in their 60s, so I am reasonably certain they have experience with firearms. Call me crazy, but in an emergency, I would not hesitate to hand them a weapon if they were in need.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
We have some very good friends, husband and wife, who live within walking distance of us. They are two of the most honest and honorable people I know. They both have taken a carry permit course but have not purchased guns. Both grew up in rural Wyoming, are in their 60s, so I am reasonably certain they have experience with firearms. Call me crazy, but in an emergency, I would not hesitate to hand them a weapon if they were in need.
Your choice. I live in a suburban subdivision and the two neighbors that I might trust under those circumstances go heeled, so no need for me to loan them anything.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
If things went South far enough, I'd teach the neighbor how to shoot one and sell it to him.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
434 Posts
Scenario: You have a sizable cache of firearms, too many for one person to use. Law enforcement has been directed to focus their resources on the affluent areas of town. Rioters are approaching your home and firing weapons into your general area. Your neighbors are panicking as they have no means to defend the area but are willing to help. Do you...

(A) Lecture them about the importance of the 2nd Amendment.
(B) Ask them if they have a CWL.
(C) Discuss rental rates for your firearms.
(D) Embrace your inner Rambo and try to take on the entire mob all by yourself.
(E) Arm up your neighbors that are willing to defend the area that you both call home.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Sure. Two of my neighbors are some of our closest family friends. We have keys to each other’s houses, and one of them especially, has had me house sit for him a few times when he was out of town, and be trusted me with his house and probably $600k worth of classic cars in his garage. He already owns a couple basic guns, although he isn’t a gun guy.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts