Defensive Carry banner

Would you loan a weapon to a neighbor during a period of civil unrest?

• Yes, I would definitely loan a weapon to someone who I know well.

Votes: 45 47.9%
  • No, I would not loan a weapon to anyone under any circumstances.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • Other?

Votes: 20 21.3%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,243 Posts
I'm not concerned with and judicial consequences in the midst of civil unrest, I'm concerned with survival.

The next door neighbor on one side of me is a guy I would trust to arm. His wife doesn't like guns, but Al is a Marine and a Vietnam vet, and I let him handle a 1911 and one of the ARs a while back. I could see his eyes sharpen as he mentally went back into the zone... so he's a guy I know would have my back, and vice versa.

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
I would not arm a neighbor no matter how well I knew him. I responsible for my guns. That includes when, where, how, and by whom they get used. Civil unrest is obviously troubling, and should it happen in one's neighborhood it is probably frightening. How do I know how my neighbor might react to anything in the neighborhood that might frighten him? I do not. If he shoots someone without adequate cause who gave him the gun? I did. In many, if not all, states contributing to a homicide is a crime. I'd say supplying the weapon that killed unjustifiably someone is unarguably trouble for the gun owner.

Consider that the neighbor does not have gun, and therefore is probably not familiar with proper handling, safety, and the laws regarding self defense. Is it a good idea to lend a gun to that neighbor in a situation where he might feel threatened? Not in my opinion. If my neighbor might need a gun, he should own one.

·
Administrator
143,377 Posts
There are so many variables that it's hard to pin down a difinative yes or no.

An individual may have firearm experience but, not happen to own one.

What has general "Civil Unrest" morphed into? Possibly a scenario where Rule Of Law no longer exists?

I know some of the people in my neighborhood that I absolutely trust.

So would I? I am back to it just depends.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I’m gonna say “it depends”. Let’s say it just another normal day. My neighbor comes over and says he’s got to go to a bad part of town and he needs to borrow my firearm. Sorry, but that’s just a “oh hell no!”

Say all hell breaks loose in a real, serious SHTF scenario. The entirety of the town is under siege by rioters, and they’re now within a couple hundred yards of our neighborhood. And, say my neighbor isn’t an anti-gun activist, supports my right to be armed as per 2A, but heretofore had no personal desire to have a firearm. In this case, would I lend him a firearm? Probably. But I’d probably give him a 2 minute explanation of how to use it, since the rioting probably will take longer than that to reach us. We’ll load up a few extra mags, and we’ll keep the business end pointed in the direction of the riot progressing toward us. By now, a few other neighbors have shown up with at least a handgun and a rifle, if not two, and several extra mags. So, at this point, it’s not just me and “don’t own a gun boy”. Several of us watch over the gated but exposed entrances to the neighborhood and we place a few in the backyards of the side of the development that is exposed. We attempt to protect our neighborhood, and if we are successful and this doesn’t turn into an all out war, he returns the firearm. If it does turn into an all out war, and my firearm doesn’t come back, I’ve still got a few more to fall back on if necessary. In this scenario, no, I’m not going to worry about background checks. I’ll rely on how well (or not) I know my neighbor. If it gets this bad, there won’t be a government to prosecute either of us for not getting a background check.

So

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Yeah, so it depends entirely upon whether the loanee is already competent with said firearm(s). All I have are semi-automatic handguns. In an excitable hand these can go boom in a (5#) finger twitch. If we all know we’re repelling the zombies then fine, it’s worth the risk. Short of that, I’m uncomfortable with the liability of a neighbor holding my gun.

All my neighbors are, I suspect, more heavily armed than I. They’re not gonna ask me for mine.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The poll is a bit narrow. As a general rule, I would not arm my neighbor. Why the hell would I spend a lot more money to arm my neighbors? Most have more money that me, so why would I carry the burden? Why would I carry the legal burden of potential prosecution and/or civil suit for their misuse of a weapon I loaned them?

If they don't want to own guns now, then they don't need my guns later.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
There are a few neighbors i would. I live in a quiet cul-de-sac, if things were being set on fire by unruly mobs of people in my neighbor hood. I would hand over a firearm to a neighbor who maybe had little firearms experience but I knew they were a decent person.

During the Ferguson unrest I gave out ammo to a few people I know who only had shotguns they had bought for hunting or "sporting" purposes. The only ammo they had on hand were bird shot loads. I gave them some buckshot loads.

I wouldn't lend a gun to someone willy nilly but if my neighborhood is under-siege, I'd be willing to consult with my neighbors and consider handing one a firearm if I felt it might help our odds of protecting our little piece of earth. Now if one of those neighbors asked me for a gun because their daughters boyfriend threatened them or something, I'd direct them to an LGS, or box store of their choosing.

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
I'd do it in a heartbeat.

When it all comes apart, and someone has a sudden change of heart due to circumstances, and they are willing, I will loan them a rifle, some loaded mags and whatever I else I think they might need.

I will teach them the basics of marksmanship, cover, shooting positions and whatever they need to stay alive.

In times like those, if we don't hang together, we will hang separately.

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
Some of my neighbors or coworkers yes. Others, no. A couple of them I know are competent but due to financial issues had to sell what they had. Divorce can suck like that for some people.
Don't see much point of having them with me standing security or walking a patrol with a mop handle while I have guns sitting in the safe.

·
Registered
727 Posts
While I've already said I wouldn't do it, and I wouldn't, there are some things I think people need to think about before they arm anyone else, especially a relative stranger.

One would be that, you don't know how someone is going to react in a crisis. Most people don't know how they'd react in a crisis, because they've never faced a true crisis. Giving the wrong person a gun can make a disaster. Believing you can count on that person when you really can't also can make a disaster.

Secondly, you don't know where that person's loyalties are. You could just as easily find yourself looking down the barrel of that gun later.

Others could likely add to this list, but I think it's a good start for food for thought.

·
Registered
33,987 Posts
Step one--Ask the neighbor if they know how to use a gun.

If they say no, tell them no, you're not giving a gun to someone who doesn't know how to use it.

If they say yes, tell them no, that they should have their own if they know how to use one.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Depends on which neighbor. One is a ex military. He would get a rifle. The other is a good guy. He would too. Any of the others? No way. And these would have to be extremely hard circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
609 Posts
We'd all be speaking with a British accent (and this topic wouldn't even be a discussion) if the men who won the Revolutionary War had the same mindset of "every man for himself" that I'm reading about here.

·
Registered
33,987 Posts
We'd all be speaking with a British accent (and this topic wouldn't even be a discussion) if the men who won the Revolutionary War had the same mindset of "every man for himself" that I'm reading about here.
Well, back when the British were a problem, each able-bodied man was expected to have his own "arms" to provide for the common defense, thus the basis of the militia and 2A.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts