Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10-15 years ago few would've thought something like the Sig p365 would've been possible at its price point and production level.

But what if in the near future we see further advancement in *material and **design that makes it possible for a gun the size of a Glock 17 to weigh as much as a Glock 42, while capacity increases to something like 25+1, just like how we have 15 rd aftermarket magazines for the Glock 48/43x now.

Would this make you more inclined to carry full size guns?

This was a topic me and my buddies had in a group chat, many felt the weight of a full size is what made them less desirable for EDC as opposed to their size.

·
Super Moderator
18,555 Posts
No.

I prefer size and weight. I particularly don't want lightweight guns.

Shrunken and/or flea weight guns can stay at home.

I'm all tickled to be doing gun show security overnight tonight and tomorrow night, the first time since COVID cranked up. Toting a full-size/weight Colt Government Model .38 Super for the first time that I got last March.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No.

I prefer size and weight. I particularly don't want lightweight guns.

Shrunken and/or flea weight guns can stay at home.

I'm all tickled to be doing gun show security overnight tonight and tomorrow night, the first time since COVID cranked up. Toting a full-size/weight Colt Government Model .38 Super for the first time that I got last March.
I'd probably be tickled too.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
No, weight has never been an issue unless I was pocket carrying a small gun.
I can hide a 6" magnum revolver easier than a Glock 17. Its all about dimensions and shapes for me. Capacity has never been high on my list of must haves.

·
Registered
18,971 Posts
Back in myLE days when the average weight of the gear around my waist was 15 pounds, weight savings were very important, especially when 8 turned in to 12 or 16+ hours.

Today weight is not that important.

I don’t have any hang ups on size and weight either way as long as it fits in to my dress attire and fills the role I am in need of.

·
Premium Member
6,045 Posts
I do not like lightweight pistols. But I think it would be the size that matters more than the weight for most folks unless someone who is really getting up in years are has issues like arthritis. Then perhaps weight would have something to do with it. But then they would have to deal with more felt recoil. Lots of variables

·
Registered
9,735 Posts
I hate light frame etc pistol .... Just ugly to fire and train with most of the time ... As a last ditch pocket gun or belly gun yeah I like the idea ... But in the words of Snatch ... Heavy is good ....

Im just old school I like metal and wood .. Cause worst cause you have a handy club....

·
Premium Member
34,640 Posts
No.

Reactions: JayGunFu

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Weight is not a huge concern for me; going super small platform is a very big concern.

I teach, and see folks come through with small guns for a 500 rd class and struggle all day to run the weapon.

Many of those people come back for future classes with a compact or full size gun. There is a place for very small guns, if they are so small that they hinder performance...

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
Weight is not a huge concern for me; going super small platform is a very big concern.

I teach, and see folks come through with small guns for a 500 rd class and struggle all day to run the weapon.

Many of those people come back for future classes with a compact or full size gun. There is a place for very small guns, if they are so small that they hinder performance...
After having a few friends lose gunfights using small pistols during the early 1980's the first thing I thought when looking at a new carry gun candidate was "Is this the gun I want on me if I get into a gunfight?". If the answer was not a yes it was passed over. I carry a J frame as a 2nd gun, but a full size pistol or magnum revolver otherwise.

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
Back in myLE days when the average weight of the gear around my waist was 15 pounds, weight savings were very important, especially when 8 turned in to 12 or 16+ hours.

Today weight is not that important.

I don’t have any hang ups on size and weight either way as long as it fits in to my dress attire and fills the role I am in need of.
I hope it fits in your dress......

·
Registered
18,971 Posts

Maybe they are trying to keep it real and train with what they actually carry everyday, everywhere. I know many people who talk the talk, but don’t carry 24/7 due to work and dress attire, and only strap up when they get to the car or at home...basically not carrying for 2/3rds of their actual lives.

If that’s the case, and they are trying to train with what they actually carry all the time, I salute their efforts, but a 500 round class is not the class to train with a very small gun.

·
Premium Member
5,322 Posts
No, no I would not care to.

Reactions: JayGunFu
1 - 20 of 84 Posts