Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
No. I carry a glock 30. Some people say it’s a heavy gun. I’ve never noticed either way. I just wear it. What matters to me is that I can conceal it easily and I’m proficient in shooting with it.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I already do generally carry service/duty-sized handguns, or handguns with duty-sized grip frames, but with shorter barrels/slides.

1. Mass, within reason, helps in steadying the weapon, for accurate shooting. I have long appreciated this.

2. Mass damps recoil.

So, I shoot a handgun better, if it has some amount of heft, and that heft makes it more comfortable to shoot, so, I train more with it, which results in it being more comforting to have with me.

A 4” S&W K- or L-Frame, a 4” Speed Six, a 4” GP100, or an all-steel 1911; none of these are too heavy or too large to carry. The smallest handgun I have normally carried as a “primary” has been a Ruger SP101, and if so, it was usually one of a pair of them. (I have skinny fingers, so there is room, on an SP101’s grip, for my middle, ring, and little fingers, and the lower rear corner of the grip just reaches the “heel bone” of my hand, so an SP101 is nicely steady, in my grasp.)

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
I am not enamored with heavy guns - they do bad things to my back. I am perfectly happy and proficient with my P365XL. Yes, I'm a bit better with my 1911 Gov't Combat, but I simply cannot carry it because of the weight.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
I like heavy...my J grew to be a pair of SP101s, which grew to be a pair of Speed Six snubs...with a M64 snub for a mixer...or I'm carrying two P97s or some mix...I have gotten rid of others and 99% decided to get rid of my P95s and P89...I've found what feels like custom made for me, and "should" isn't enough reason for me to keep my 9s, which I've never really enjoyed that much. The weight of guns and many mags/speed strips doesn't annoy me...I've carried heavy most of my adult life on belt or in pockets, and my strong back's been good to me...it's the mind...well...anyways....

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Don't ask me because I believe martial arts should be a part of public school gym class curriculum.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My carry gun is a P365 (not XL), and I'm quite happy with it .. it fits me very well (to give you an idea, if I have the flat-bottom magazine in vs the pinky extended one, my hand exactly matches exactly to the grip). I really am not interested in changing (well, maybe a Walther but I don't know when/if that will be a possibility, funds-wise).

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
Maybe they are trying to keep it real and train with what they actually carry everyday, everywhere. I know many people who talk the talk, but don’t carry 24/7 due to work and dress attire, and only strap up when they get to the car or at home...basically not carrying for 2/3rds of their actual lives.

If that’s the case, and they are trying to train with what they actually carry all the time, I salute their efforts, but a 500 round class is not the class to train with a very small gun.
Maybe, but they haven’t been all that successful. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thank you all for sharing your opinions, preferences, and experiences.

The inspiration came from a recent range trip where we got to try out a S&W scandium k-frame loaded with .38 +P.

We were all pleasantly surprised at how well it shot and how good it felt in our hands. Weight wise it's notably lighter than even a snub k-frame made of steel.

That's when many of us who shot it decided we would indeed reconsider full size semi autos as EDCs if they managed to weigh as little as the subcompacts, since the larger grips/handles would allow for easier control and recoil distribution despite the much lower weight.

·
Super Moderator
17,279 Posts
I find a full size 1911 both comforting and comfortable and have no reason or desire to change.

·
Registered
18,963 Posts
Thank you all for sharing your opinions, preferences, and experiences.

The inspiration came from a recent range trip where we got to try out a S&W scandium k-frame loaded with .38 +P.

We were all pleasantly surprised at how well it shot and how good it felt in our hands. Weight wise it's notably lighter than even a snub k-frame made of steel.

That's when many of us who shot it decided we would indeed reconsider full size semi autos as EDCs if they managed to weigh as little as the subcompacts, since the larger grips/handles would allow for easier control and recoil distribution despite the much lower weight.
You have to do what’s good for you.
The most important factor of carrying a gun is...carrying the gun.
After that, it’s your proficiency with the gun.
Everything else is just a chance for inet pontificating and opinion.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I carried a Beretta 92 on duty for years. I would go back to it in a second. It absorbs recoil like nothing else. Also, when my department was looking at a new duty weapon. Our Berettas outperformed all of the ":lighter" duty pistols.We stayed with Berettas. The military would have done well to follow our example.

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
I teach, and see folks come through with small guns for a 500 rd class and struggle all day to run the weapon.

Many of those people come back for future classes with a compact or full size gun. There is a place for very small guns, if they are so small that they hinder performance...
Train like you fight, I always say. So what realistic SD scenario requires someone to "run a gun " all day for 500 rounds? So your scenario forces students to stop training with the guns they actually carry and train with ones they don't carry just to get through the course. I have experienced this with trainers myself. What good does it do?

FWIW, I was taught to shoot expert with a 1911 using a pencil, no ammo. I am not kidding. I was also taught to point shoot, very well, by a legendary SD instructor, with no ammo. Not a shot fired. Both used techniques few instructors know anymore.

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
Both weight and size are important to me. I really like my 1911 and my .357s and I would carry them in extremis, but not EDC. As in previous threads, I don't understand why people try to analyze and judge what other people carry. It is all personal preference and no one else's business. I get the feeling that big gun carriers are trying to justify their preferences to the the world.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I carry what I am most competent with, and that is my Dan Wesson Vigil Commander. It's nearly full-size. Absent that, it's the Glock G45, which is also nearly full size. Putting in alternative / back-up duty is a P365 (not XL), which goes in pocket. I would say that if my lightweight Defender was lighter and slightly smaller, it would fill the role of pocket carry & back-up. Heck, I'll carry my Python once I get a nice holster for it!

21 - 40 of 84 Posts