Defensive Carry banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Would this make you more inclined to carry full size guns?

This was a topic me and my buddies had in a group chat, many felt the weight of a full size is what made them less desirable for EDC as opposed to their size.
It seems like too many need to man-up. I do not notice the weight of any full-size 1911 I carry now.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
The weight was an issue for me, I’m a small woman and stand 5’3” on a good day. I had a 40 double stack smith and it was so heavy it was making my britches pull down and quite honestly was sending me to the chiropractor since the weight was on one side.

That being said, I don’t care for small guns nor do I shoot them well so this was a problem that took a while to correct. LOVE the revolvers, so my sweet husband got me a 357 Colt Python and it’s a great shooting gun - but was also too heavy.

The solution for me; I now carry a smith 45 Shield. Compact (not sub), less bullets but with the higher cal I didn’t figure I’d need more. The slim line makes it easy as heck to conceal carry.

Don’t cut yourself off from the bigger guns due to the weight if you shoot the bigger one’s better, there are so many options now days to work around that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Jay, If you get interested in belt fed revolvers look at a gun called the Dardick. It was not exactly belt fed, [ but when you see it you will get the idea]. It used triangle shaped cartridge's called a Tround. It was a late 50's early 60's invention that the world was not ready for yet. But a lot of the ideas the guy put out there are now being used. He was the first to suggest plastic cased ammo. now the army is trying that out.
If you could work out the details, belt feeding a revolver would allow me to carry as much ammo as any semi auto but in a revolver!

Lol, I'll learn everything I can about it so that one day I can come back and offer you all a belt fed revolver that shoots plastic cased ammo.

·
Registered
18,964 Posts
The pertinent thing to do, at least from my viewpoint, is to choose what really fits your needs and lifestyle, then train up to it, whatever that is.
Don’t get caught up in size, weight or caliber issues.

·
Premium Member
34,611 Posts
The pertinent thing to do, at least from my viewpoint, is to choose what really fits your needs and lifestyle, then train up to it, whatever that is.
Don’t get caught up in size, weight or caliber issues.
In my case, the .45 Shield was there right out of the box. I immediately shot it as well as or better than anything else I had carried in the past..

·
Registered
408 Posts
I carry a p365 for both weight and size. I have trouble comfortably concealing and carrying even my g19, not just because of the weight, but also because of the size. I can do it, but not comfortably. (That may be because I lived in a place where I could not carry it, and when I moved, I quickly bought a p365 and comfortably carried it from the start). Could I pull off a head shot at 15 yards? Probably not. But could I hit center mass? Definitely. I don’t carry because I want to be able to successfully pull off a headshot. I want to successfully get out and get my loved ones out of a bad situation. If I had my Kimber or my g19, I MAY be able to pull off a headshot, but no guarantees...I’m just not that good. The 365 is simply the right balance of size, weight, capacity, and shootability for me. Everyone has their own balance. If Glock or sig came out with a 17.9oz g19 I’d probably buy it...because thats what I tend to do...but I wouldn’t be that much more likely to carry it.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
For, me the weight isn't the issue. It's the size/dimensions and how it rests against my body and pokes me in certain areas.
Same here on certain areas, I use to carry at 2 o’clock, this put the barrel right at the artery of my left leg. Never was comfortable with that nor how far back I had to pull my arm to grab the gun.

Easy solution for me was to cross carry at 10:30, fixed both where the barrel was facing and the elbow pain.

·
Premium Member
34,611 Posts
Same here on certain areas, I use to carry at 2 o’clock, this put the barrel right at the artery of my left leg. Never was comfortable with that nor how far back I had to pull my arm to grab the gun.

Easy solution for me was to cross carry at 10:30, fixed both where the barrel was facing and the elbow pain.
11:30 cross-draw has been where it is at for me for awhile.

Reactions: Sister

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
In my case, the .45 Shield was there right out of the box. I immediately shot it as well as or better than anything else I had carried in the past..
Your posting about that Shield got me within a whisker of buying one...If the safety was ambi, this old lefty would be carrying one. I really enjoyed my Kahr CW45 twins, until my middle son bought a house and they went to them for house guns. I don't like the "safety trigger" without a manual safety backup, like the SRs have. I think throwing up a post and a few pics again would be great...lotta folks here are new and need to see the best of both worlds.

·
Premium Member
34,611 Posts
Your posting about that Shield got me within a whisker of buying one...If the safety was ambi, this old lefty would be carrying one. I really enjoyed my Kahr CW45 twins, until my middle son bought a house and they went to them for house guns. I don't like the "safety trigger" without a manual safety backup, like the SRs have. I think throwing up a post and a few pics again would be great...lotta folks here are new and need to see the best of both worlds.
The manual safety on Shields so equipped is an atrocity of design, IMO. It is too difficult to reliably snick off when doing a speed draw. One of mine has the manual safety, which I snick off prior to seating in the holster.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Well, that checks it off the list for me. If I ever buy a .45 smaller than the P97, it'll probably be another Kahr. Long as I fired American or MagTech ammo, mine never messed up. With Fiocchi or other longer-loaded rounds, the slide wouldn't go completely home...the bullet bumped the rifling. I dropped every round used/carried with the Kahr into a barrel and dumped it out before putting it in the stack to be used...no more problems. Loved that looong DAO trigger.

·
Premium Member
34,611 Posts
Well, that checks it off the list for me. If I ever buy a .45 smaller than the P97, it'll probably be another Kahr. Long as I fired American or MagTech ammo, mine never messed up. With Fiocchi or other longer-loaded rounds, the slide wouldn't go completely home...the bullet bumped the rifling. I dropped every round used/carried with the Kahr into a barrel and dumped it out before putting it in the stack to be used...no more problems. Loved that looong DAO trigger.
Bear in mind that the Shields are also offered in versions without manual safeties.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I like the shields. They are about the smallest guns I can still shoot really well. they shoot as well as a full sized gun. Two of my sons have them, so I have gotten to shoot them quite a bit.
Once I'm out of CA I'll be adding one to my carry guns. DR

·
Premium Member
2,092 Posts
For a different perspective than Mike's -- I carry the 9mm Shield with safety. I've practiced the draw and safety swipe a lot. It's not that much different from a 1911 safety once you get used to it and it's gotten comfortable for me.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I carry a full-size gun that weighs as much as a full-size gun and have zero issue with it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
354 Posts
Still carry the 220, no problem, but if I had the my druthers it would be either a TI framed 1911 5", or one of the aluminum framed full size 1911's

61 - 80 of 84 Posts