Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
I found this interesting..............

185 grain; Hornady's eXtreme Terminal Penetration bullet (same bullet as in Hornady TAP ammo

Personally I'd just use the Hornady TAP ammo with new brass if I wanted to use Hornady bullets.

My .02.

·
Super Moderator
18,107 Posts
I'd use it in a heartbeat.

The reason that once fired brass is used is because it is cheaper, brass usually being the biggest expense.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
I use all new components, that way if there was ever a failure from a faulty
reload I'd hope I would still be around to complain about the dud in a defensive
situation.Actually, I buy new ammo,no reloads for carry ever! that's just me some guys might but I pick a brand of ammo and shoot several thousands rounds over the course of the year.Practice ammo is usually wolf or anything cheap.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I was thinking more about the legal side of it... could a lawyer demonstrate that you were neglectful since you did not choose brand new brass from a major cartridge manufacturer? Or are these guys as "straight" as the CorBon stuff you buy (with the exception of using once-fired brass)?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I'd use it and never look back. Shoot enough to make sure my gun fed them properly and then no worries.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, I am surprised at how many guys would use this stuff! I guess it's no big deal that the brass is fired once then? Wouldn't that be considered "substandard" ammo by some lawyer? Do the big guys (Winchester, Speer, etc.) ever used once-fired brass?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Yes, 380 is hard to find, and the price look good.

·
Super Moderator
18,107 Posts
Wow, I am surprised at how many guys would use this stuff! I guess it's no big deal that the brass is fired once then? Wouldn't that be considered "substandard" ammo by some lawyer? Do the big guys (Winchester, Speer, etc.) ever used once-fired brass?
Lots of companys use once fired brass. As long as it comes from a commercially liscensed manufacturer, it should'nt be an issue.

The big guys make their own brass ,some of the smaller ones subcontract it out and have their own stamp put on it.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
shooting cheap ammo at the range is one thing but not for SD...
unless I'm the one reloading them i will never put another round of reload though my gun....

this link shows why... you just don't know how much powder that reload has in it!
http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/2435/glock21kb1sh.jpg

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not the place to "cheap it out"

Considering the difference in price between the cost of factory ammo and even an "economy" funeral, my money is on the factory stuff every time.

Now, this is not to say that "fresh factory ammo" is perfect, I'd rather not start out running a race with only one "good" leg.

What value do you place on your or your family's life???

Bruce

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
No thanks, If im going to shoot reloads ill shoot mine.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I NEVER use reloads (except mine) even in my Revolvers.

Having said this, IMPO, using this ammo in a Revolver maybe ok, but in a semi auto for PD, never.

Just my 2 cents

Puffer

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
"We are an 06 Federal Firemarms Licensed Manufacturer of Ammuntion."

Heck, maybe it's just me, but I have a little problem buying ammunition for my firearms from someone who can't spell "firearms" or "ammunition". :haha:

Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ammo for defensive carry

What to carry for self defense is one of those subjects that will be debated until the end of mankind. One of the previous posts pointed out that the cost of good ammo is much cheaper than the lives / safety of you and your loved ones. Buy cheap range fodder but use don't skimp on defensive ammo. It has been recommeded by many gun writers, self defense instructors and legal expert witnesses that it is a good idea to use a brand and load that is issued to local, large. or many law enforcement agencies. This diminishes the prosecuting DA or civil attorney's argument that you bought 'special killer' rounds or any other 'special variant' challenges that they can dream up. This will limit your options somewhat, but leaves you with some very good choices. I believe that Speer Gold Dot is still the most issued to agencies in the U.S.. Golden Saber and Ranger SXT are also viable options. Do some looking around and some research and spend the money on protecting you and yours.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I'd use it in a heartbeat.

The reason that once fired brass is used is because it is cheaper, brass usually being the biggest expense.
:yup:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts