Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting a new job next week and the area is sketchy to say the least. Multiple robberies in the area, both personal and business within the last year, some "robberies gone bad" (somebody ended up getting shot) but the company policy specifically bans employees from carrying weapons. I don't feel safe there without a handgun. What would you do or have you done in similar situations? Getting another job isn't an option, if I limit my job search to areas that aren't at risk for this type of thing in the major metro I live in I would only be able to apply to like 1/4 of the area.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I carried against policy while delivering pizzas for obvious reasons. It was a second job though, so I didn't sweat it much. My primary job is good to go with carry. Is I was to do what you're talking about, it would have to be very discreet. Probably a pocket gun and an ankle gun. Only you can make the decision if it's worth the risk.

Reactions: Clandestiny

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah. You can always get another job. Obviously that co doesnt care about YOUR safety. I wouldnt care too much about an idiotic rule that put me in danger for no sound reason.
I've worked 6 jobs in my lifetime and all but one (very small business) has prohibited carrying a weapon of any sort. I've noticed if they're big enough to have a company policy, then most likely that policy includes a weapons ban.

I carried against policy while delivering pizzas for obvious reasons. It was a second job though, so I didn't sweat it much. My primary job is good to go with carry. Is I was to do what you're talking about, it would have to be very discreet. Probably a pocket gun and an ankle gun. Only you can make the decision if it's worth the risk.
Unfortunately all I own currently is a full size SD9VE and am too strapped on funds so getting a smaller one isn't an option.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I'm not sayin that nobody would notice a Ruger LCP Custom in a Desantis holster.....but nobody would notice a Ruger LCP Custom in a Desantis holster............just not sayin...:icon_neutral:

Reactions: Kurt2k

·
Registered
699 Posts
Consider carrying a non-tacticool looking man bag/messenger type bag if a daypack is too casual. I really like the 5.11 PUSH Pack. Blackhawk makes a more formal looking messenger a dedicated, easily accessed CCW pocket complete with Velcro for holsters, etc.... Not as fast as a belt holster, but it might be a solution.

·
Registered
35 Posts
For me, CC is "don't ask, don't tell". I am custodian at a Church, and have had unexpected visitors when working late at night. There's nothing in policy, so I just have never asked.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Consider carrying a non-tacticool looking man bag/messenger type bag if a daypack is too casual. I really like the 5.11 PUSH Pack. Blackhawk makes a more formal looking messenger a dedicated, easily accessed CCW pocket complete with Velcro for holsters, etc.... Not as fast as a belt holster, but it might be a solution.
Can't bring a bag with me when working. It'd have to be on me IWB. I have a Desantis tuckable holster I usually use for professional scenarios.

·
Banned
514 Posts
Starting a new job next week and the area is sketchy to say the least. Multiple robberies in the area, both personal and business within the last year, some "robberies gone bad" (somebody ended up getting shot) but the company policy specifically bans employees from carrying weapons. I don't feel safe there without a handgun. What would you do or have you done in similar situations? Getting another job isn't an option, if I limit my job search to areas that aren't at risk for this type of thing in the major metro I live in I would only be able to apply to like 1/4 of the area.
I value my life more than my job. I suggest you do likewise.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sometimes my job has me leaving the office and going to some areas of Detroit with of abandoned and/or vacant houses, so when I leave the office I consider it fair game and I am carrying.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Sometimes you have to take a creative look at the company policy to see if there is any wiggle room. Before my last job [ I've been on this one for more than 20 years] No one ever had a policy. And I never asked. My current job even has me passing through metal detectors several times a day. So no amount of creativity is going to help me out! The OP does not say what he does and what the situation is at work so he is only going to generic answers. DR

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
I obey all forum rules and company policies.
:rofl: And I'm an 8 foot transvestite that once stuffed Michael Jordon driving to the basket during a pickup game at the corner YMCA.

Nice rdunawaytx. Still enjoying that post. Thanks

Reactions: ep1953

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
I don't think they can forbid you from concealing a handgun in your vehicle in their parking lot unless it's state, federal, school, post office or a nuke plant. You might have to stow the gun there while you're at work. You might also park off of their property too.

This may not be ideal for you but I believe it's a better option than not working, getting fired for carrying or changing jobs. Adapt for now. Maybe they will change policy someday. I never say never.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts