Defensive Carry banner

Your thoughts on the following options:

• I would carry a chambered Glock in a pocket without a holster.

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • I would carry a loaded J frame in a pocket without a holster.

Votes: 66 19.6%
  • I would carry either (loaded, chambered) in a pocket without a holster.

Votes: 23 6.8%
  • I would not carry either (loaded, chambered) in a pocket without a holster.

Votes: 242 72.0%
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. For whatever reason I have, and I’m not sure I know exactly what it is, I would not hesitate to carry a loaded J frame in pocket without a holster, but I would not, except under some very short term time frame, e.g. long enough to ‘clear’ a trouble spot, etc., carry a chambered Glock in a pocket without a holster.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Safety issues aside, a good pocket holster will keep the firearm in a consistent position making drawing the firearm easier. Not to mention the holster will help to keep lint, sweat or other matter from accumulating in the firearm. Plus the benefit of softening the outline of the firearm aiding in concealment.

Peace

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't fell comfortable without a good holster. Besides, it might fall out and blow up the toilet you're sitting on...:ahhhhh:

JIm

·
Super Moderator
22,036 Posts
I would carry a J frame. I know many people will claim carrying a Glock with a round chambered is the same as carrying a loaded revolver, but it isn't, the Glock is half-cocked with a loaded chamber and the J frame isn't.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
I don't like to be without a holster although in the past I have carried a j-frame bareback on a few occasions. Murphy’s Law is simply too reliable! :gah:
Regards,

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Any firearm without a proper holster? Invitation to accidental discharge when loaded/round chambered, in my opinion.

Can anyone say "Plaxico Burris"?

·
Registered
541 Posts
well its not like you have to worry about the hammer or anything. There is nothing wrong with a glock carried in a pocket holster in the front pocket. I wouldnt want to carry a big pistol, but If I owned a glock, (I dont) nothing bad towards those who do, but a SC would pose no issue with me. JMHO

·
Registered
541 Posts
sorry about that post I have been up way too long
youre right, i would never want to carry any weapon without a holster, J frame or not

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
I actually carry both.

J-frame is always with me in a pocket holster that covers the trigger/hides the outline/keeps lint out.

Glock is with me when I'm casual with my shirt out, and in a paddle holster that covers the trigger.

The point here is that I feel strongly about a holster that covers the trigger. Oddly, I still don't keep a round in the chamber on the Glock, even though the J-frame obviously does. I'm just goofy that way...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I wouldn't carry any gun in a pocket without a holster.

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
As you might guess with this type of poll, I'm of two minds on this subject. I think that the OP is interested in which we feel is safer to carry in this manner.

1.) As most here, I would rather carry either in a proper holster that covers the trigger.

2.) I trust a GLOCK with a NY1 or NY2 trigger and its trigger safety more than I do the simple heavy trigger pull of a DA J frame.

I think that the second is the issue at hand. If those were my only choices that is what I would trust more.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
OMO....I wouldn't do either

me personally, I would never carry without a holster, glock, revolver, HK, safety or no safety, just me, I want a holster covering the trigger

there are plenty of holsters and clothing options available out there to accommodate enough carry styles/options that this should never be an issue

·
Registered
408 Posts
Not that I would do it anyway, but I would be breaking the law in Georgia. A holster is not only safer but insures a good draw.

I have pulled a Glock from it's holster and put it (and my hand) in my pocket when I felt that there was a need. I never let go of it while in my pocket.
I've done this several times when I felt unsafe and wanted quicker access than my carry holster would provide.

The last time this happened was a few months ago in Chattanooga, actually. I'm sure the OP knows what I mean when I say that there are some businesses (good ones, in good areas) in Chattanooga that you don't leave after eight o'clock without a hand at least close to your weapon.

The last time was leaving a restaurant with my wife. There were two groups of people who were getting loud and a fight seemed likely. I took my wife's arm with my weak hand and directed her around the section of parking lot where the groups were while drawing and putting my hand in my pocket.
Once in the car she called LEO to notify them of the rowdy group while we drove away.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Whoops...

I answered prematurely-I would carry either

but I intended to answer:

I would not carry either without a pocket holster. I beleive a pocketholster keeps dirt, lint and debris from getting in the moving parts of handgun and keeps fingers away from possibly pulling triggers.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I, Myself don,t pocket carry at all. I just don't feel comfterble, even in a pocket holster, that's lust me to each his own ; )

·
Registered
895 Posts
Just curious. For whatever reason I have, and I’m not sure I know exactly what it is, I would not hesitate to carry a loaded J frame in pocket without a holster, but I would not, except under some very short term time frame, e.g. long enough to ‘clear’ a trouble spot, etc., carry a chambered Glock in a pocket without a holster.

Thoughts?
the S&W J-frame has a long,14lb trigger pull..the likelihood of a j-frame snagging on something and going off is slim to none..i would not have any problem tossing a J-frame in a coat pocket..

Glocks are quite a bit different..trigger pull is much lighter and shorter at 5.5lbs..the likelihood of a Glock snagging,or firing during draw is much greater.i would not feel comfortable carrying a chambered Glock in a coat pocket, as i would a S&W J-frame..

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I can't find any justification for carrying any gun without a holster.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts