Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.kmov.com/news/good-samaritan-uses-concealed-weapon-to-stop-attack-in-franklin/article_38291250-5e74-11ea-9ff0-df1fa5e55705.html?fbclid=IwAR0WOXs1SMrUNJN5_WIaT3gJLG7VjumP8WJ9hEuQn5uLdXM1FtPpuTIck50

I found this on a NY gun forum..

Sad to say, here in NY the perp would have walked, and the "good guy with a gun" would have been charged with menacing,brandishing, terrorism, assault with a deadly weapon, and probably half a dozen other violations, and then thrown into jail..

I would love to think that if I were to ever have a similar "opportunity" to help a fellow citizen at some point I would do the same without hesitation..

However, when I am honest with myself, I realize that more likely I would quickly realize where I was, and the ramifications of pulling a weapon in this 'duty to retreat" state.

It sickens me to say it, but I have a feeling logic and self preservation would take over, and that poor 60 YO guy would get a terrible beating, and perhaps killed, when I was only a few feet away with a loaded weapon...... bob

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
The only way for evil to prevail is for good men to stand by and do nothing.
I know many will say if it is not me or my family, not my problem, call 911.
I just don't know if i could stand around and watch some punk beat down an older, defenseless person or God forbid assault a woman.
My upbringing would compel me to do something.
That is why at 63 I carry all day, every day.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
The only way for evil to prevail is for good men to stand by and do nothing.
I know many will say if it is not me or my family, not my problem, call 911.
I just don't know if i could stand around and watch some punk beat down an older, defenseless person or God forbid assault a woman.
My upbringing would compel me to do something.
That is why at 63 I carry all day, every day.
Yeah but you and I live in states where this is not only normal but pretty common. In those few states where intervening in something like this could get you in some serious hot water, you'd have to ask yourself if it is worth losing a heck of a lot if you do this. This is a sad commentary on those states but then, the people who live there brought this on themselves. They are the ones who voted these idiots into office and they are the ones who, by their vote and support, said they are perfectly willing to accept the edicts of the anointed; not all of them but enough to allow those anointed to run their lives.

In 1977 I had to take a course in basic lifesaving techniques and learned that some states do not have Good Samaritan laws as does mine. In those states, you can be sued if you help someone who then suffers some sort of loss that was found to be the result of your help (think tourniquet). I resolved then that if I ran across someone badly injured and I lived somewhere like that, then someone else would have to intervene. The very idea that if I helped someone who then turned around and sued me would infuriate me. I would want them dead for doing something like that to me. I know of a doctor who had this happen to him many years ago. The next time he came across someone injured, he just kept walking. Seems he learned his lesson.

But I don't live in a state like this nor would I. So it's really a moot point.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
Yeah but you and I live in states where this is not only normal but pretty common. In those few states where intervening in something like this could get you in some serious hot water, you'd have to ask yourself if it is worth losing a heck of a lot if you do this. This is a sad commentary on those states but then, the people who live there brought this on themselves. They are the ones who voted these idiots into office and they are the ones who, by their vote and support, said they are perfectly willing to accept the edicts of the anointed; not all of them but enough to allow those anointed to run their lives.

In 1977 I had to take a course in basic lifesaving techniques and learned that some states do not have Good Samaritan laws as does mine. In those states, you can be sued if you help someone who then suffers some sort of loss that was found to be the result of your help (think tourniquet). I resolved then that if I ran across someone badly injured and I lived somewhere like that, then someone else would have to intervene. The very idea that if I helped someone who then turned around and sued me would infuriate me. I would want them dead for doing something like that to me. I know of a doctor who had this happen to him many years ago. The next time he came across someone injured, he just kept walking. Seems he learned his lesson.
I could never live in a place where I could not practice basic decency.
I will be damned if following the law I lose my humanity.
I still have to live with myself everyday.
I put my trust in my God and my Gun.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I do want to move much further south. My area has left what it means to be a Virginian a long time ago. I need to get back to a place where the values under which I was raised still mean a great deal. I don't see that here in the northern part of my state. And what's been coming out of Richmond certainly doesn't represent anything of any value worth holding to me. These people are ruining a once proud and great state.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The article doesn't tell the whole story, I'm willing to bet. I would hope that he didn't start things out by escalating it to drawing his gun. Either way, doing the right thing may cost a bit financially, but, then again, you have to make the decision that you can live with afterwards.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Would you have saved this guy?.. Or just kept on moving?

There's no pat answer.

IF it occurred here in TX, where I'm a licensed carrier, then probably. IF I saw the entire event leading up to the fight.

The thing is, inserting yourself as a 3rd party into an incident like that is always very risky. You don't know who the good guy/bad guy are or even IF they're what they appear to be.

The 32 year old could be an off duty or undercover cop. The 60 year old could be a criminal suspect. You have no way of knowing.

There's a lot of legal jeopardy you could be facing.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Sounds like road rage, and those get pretty nasty pretty fast. Even if the 60-year-old man did something, it doesn't call for ramming the car. That's a rather deadly maneuver to execute. I'd like to think I'd intervene, but only if armed. I witnessed a domestic dispute where the lady was walking away and the guy seemed to want to run her over. For some reason I was in a rush to get out the door and didn't take the time to be armed (changing EDC to my cut). I did manage to keep his attention for a while while the woman walked away. Hopefully it was enough. Called the police immediately with a description of the man, the woman, and the car and direction of travel.

·
Registered
341 Posts
From what I read, I would treat this as if it were a domestic violence situation and would not touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Things seem to have panned out OK. But it sounds like the guy went in blind and had no idea what the cause of the dispute was.

The old guy could have been molesting the other guy's daughter far all I know and this guy wanted justice.

ETA: that is based solely on the description of what happened in the article. More things can be at play. I would, of course, defend any person I think at the time needs defending.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I would like to think that I would do the "right" thing and help a fellow citizen, However, if I was in WA, NJ or NY, where deadly use of force service plans/insurance are illegal, I would probably be reticent to do anything.

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
I look at this stuff as dispassionately as I can, because I know when the time comes, emotions will try to rule. I mainly have H2H skills and carry a gun to protect myself and those I care about. But I've decided I will intervene with an innocent third party in the following circumstances, and my intention is to be pretty strict with myself on these:
  1. I am as sure as humanly possible that the innocent third party is really innocent, that I am not coming in late to a situation where the person in the losing position did not contribute to the start of the fight. That could take away my SD defense later on and possibly being prosecuted is not an option I will consider.
  2. I am as sure as humanly possible that given my capabilities, I stand a very good chance of decisively resolving the situation without causing more risk to myself and those I care about, or any other innocent people.
I don't necessarily recommend my "rules" to anyone else. I am a 67 year old guy who carries a snubby, has heath issues and doesn't maintain a "tacticool" level of required skills anymore. I think what is important is to have thought about your personal priorities and capabilities in advance and to have them firmly in your mind when the time comes.

In the situation described in the OP, the answer always has to be "it depends." We only have sketchy second- and third-hand details and a lot of the decision making is going to be based on visual information. In no case would I have "just kept moving." At the very least, I would call 911, and stay on hand to be a good witness and administer first aid.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
The article doesn't tell the whole story, I'm willing to bet. I would hope that he didn't start things out by escalating it to drawing his gun. Either way, doing the right thing may cost a bit financially, but, then again, you have to make the decision that you can live with afterwards.
In a state such as mine, at least the burden of potential legal action is pretty much removed. I wouldn't want to take my chances in, say, New Jersey where the possibility of being charged with a crime and having to spend a large amount of money in my defense could effectively leave me near destitute. Best thing for me? Don't go to or live in such states in the first place.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
There's no pat answer.

IF it occurred here in TX, where I'm a licensed carrier, then probably. IF I saw the entire event leading up to the fight.

The thing is, inserting yourself as a 3rd party into an incident like that is always very risky. You don't know who the good guy/bad guy are or even IF they're what they appear to be.

The 32 year old could be an off duty or undercover cop. The 60 year old could be a criminal suspect. You have no way of knowing.

There's a lot of legal jeopardy you could be facing.
You are spot on correct with this.

·
Premium Member
24,509 Posts
I hear what you're saying. Northam is trying his best to turn the state into another New York. I'm seriously considering retirement in the near future. I may just pull up stakes and say good bye to VA. I've enjoyed my 22 years here, but I hate what is happening to the state.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
In MO where this happened, the Bystander won't face any legal problems! In my part of CA given the same information that was given in this news clip If I intervened, I would not face any legal trouble either. Now in other parts of CA, that may not be the case.
Now once the assault had stopped, If the BG got up and walked away,[ without threatening any more violence] I doubt I would have any legal right to chase or shoot him. That's where it would get tricky! DR

·
Registered
269 Posts
There is certainly more to the story but just from what was written the armed citizen had no real knowledge of what triggered this incident and therefore can't know for certain who the bad guy is. Things aren't always as they seem. What if the presumed bad guy actually was an undercover cop? How would that have worked out for the citizen with a gun? I'm not a cop and don't see it as my duty to protect the public at large. In this case, at least from the story presented so far, I'd have stayed out of it. I'd need to be a lot more sure of the situation before I'd consider getting involved.

·
Premium Member
33,776 Posts
There is certainly more to the story but just from what was written the armed citizen had no real knowledge of what triggered this incident and therefore can't know for certain who the bad guy is. Things aren't always as they seem. What if the presumed bad guy actually was an undercover cop? How would that have worked out for the citizen with a gun? I'm not a cop and don't see it as my duty to protect the public at large. In this case, at least from the story presented so far, I'd have stayed out of it. I'd need to be a lot more sure of the situation before I'd consider getting involved.
More to the story doesn't change what is a felonious assault in progress. Personally, I probably wouldn't stand idly by if it was a cop in uniform continuing to assault a defenseless victim.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts