Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
In my state, as in several other states where many of you live, I have the right to defend another person with lethal force if they themselves have that same right to defend themselves with lethal force. That at least takes that legal worry out of the equation, assuming we have enough of the pertinent details. The hard part is when we might not be completely clear if the apparent victim is truly a victim.

My answer is also maybe, totally dependent upon the circumstances for that incident, and how much I know versus don't know.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I'm not wired to stand by and watch an assault in progress.
I have stepped in a time or two to help people I didn't know. Not knowing the whole situation wouldn't stop me from getting involved, but may temper my response until the situation is more clear to me.

Good to hear this incident turned out well. Too many times it is just the opposite.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do want to move much further south. My area has left what it means to be a Virginian a long time ago. I need to get back to a place where the values under which I was raised still mean a great deal. I don't see that here in the northern part of my state. And what's been coming out of Richmond certainly doesn't represent anything of any value worth holding to me. These people are ruining a once proud and great state.
Come on down to Georgia, glad to have ya!

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Come on down to Georgia, glad to have ya!
I love Georgia. Have not seen much of it but am very attracted to the Lowcountry, just like in South Carolina. I want to visit Brunswich and its beautiful islands at some point. We did visit Savannah a few years ago and stayed on Tybee. Need to see a lot more of the state. I'm pretty certain Georgia would love me as I am pure Southern.

Reactions: Instymp and airslot

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Responding to these scenario's without actually being there is very difficult.

But, this being the internet and I just can't resist, here goes.

It depends.

It depends on what state I am in because in my state, KY, I have no duty to retreat. That is not true in others.

But, If I saw someone beating another person down, especially an older person that seems to be getting a beatdown, I will speak up.

I will have my hand on my firearm, still concealed, but ready, and I will holler at the one doing the beating.

I will then see what his response is.

If he says, "This scumbag just raped my daughter and I chased him here.", I will tell him to please stop the fight and I am calling the police.

If he says, "Blank you!" and comes towards me to fight me, well, I'd defend myself.

I would not just shoot someone that is hitting someone else without knowing more about what is going on. The guy could be a security guard or plain clothed police officer for all I know and the guy being subdued could be an actual criminal. I just could not know without asking what was going on.

Oh, and if the person doing the beatdown ignored my questions and continued the beating, I would take that in to consideration also. I would get louder and draw my gun at that point. The guys next action would likely be all I would need to know in regards to who is the bad guy and I would act accordingly. I could not stand by and watch someone stomp another mans head in to the ground, that is for sure.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I've intervened in several altercations, including one on the highway.

Never had to present my firearm. It's amazing how much a military buzz cut, dark glasses and a stern look can accomplish.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Yeah but you and I live in states where this is not only normal but pretty common. In those few states where intervening in something like this could get you in some serious hot water, you'd have to ask yourself if it is worth losing a heck of a lot if you do this. This is a sad commentary on those states but then, the people who live there brought this on themselves. They are the ones who voted these idiots into office and they are the ones who, by their vote and support, said they are perfectly willing to accept the edicts of the anointed; not all of them but enough to allow those anointed to run their lives.

In 1977 I had to take a course in basic lifesaving techniques and learned that some states do not have Good Samaritan laws as does mine. In those states, you can be sued if you help someone who then suffers some sort of loss that was found to be the result of your help (think tourniquet). I resolved then that if I ran across someone badly injured and I lived somewhere like that, then someone else would have to intervene. The very idea that if I helped someone who then turned around and sued me would infuriate me. I would want them dead for doing something like that to me. I know of a doctor who had this happen to him many years ago. The next time he came across someone injured, he just kept walking. Seems he learned his lesson.

But I don't live in a state like this nor would I. So it's really a moot point.
All 50 US states have a good Samaritan law. Those laws apply to providing medical assistance, not self defense. This is taught in all CPR, 1st aid, 1st responder classes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK542176/

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
All 50 US states have a good Samaritan law. Those laws apply to providing medical assistance, not self defense. This is taught in all CPR, 1st aid, 1st responder classes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK542176/
I took the course in 1977 and at that time, there were still states that did not have any Good Samaritan laws. It's good do know that all do now. And yes, I also know that Good Samaritan laws do not address self defense of others, at least not here in 1977 so I imagine that would be true in other states.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Impersonating the FBI is about as bad as impersonating a police officer in most states.
What about actual FBI agents impersonating LEOs who actually follow their oath of office to support and defend the Constitution and also to follow the FBI motto, "Fidelity, Bravery, Integrity?"

·
Registered
521 Posts
i would intervene.
age disparity in ohio is a relative point for the risk of severe injury or death.
so in that particular situation it would apply.
if bother were 30 somethings...hhhmmm..i'd hafta think 3 times about it before drawing and intervening.

but many valid points were made to be aware of as far as who is/was the aggressor, possible arrest by LEO, etc.
its a slippery slope but doing the "right thing" is important to maintain.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The article doesn't tell the whole story, I'm willing to bet. I would hope that he didn't start things out by escalating it to drawing his gun. Either way, doing the right thing may cost a bit financially, but, then again, you have to make the decision that you can live with afterwards.
Did we read the same article ?.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
I know some 40 year olds that look 60.. I do however, accept that advanced age can change how dangerous blows to the body might be. That said, I would be very careful about using an "assumed" age of a victim as some sort of gun or no gun qualifier. Everyone lives in different places and laws do vary widely but just speaking for myself as just an average guy.. I am not going to pull a gun to stop a physical conflict between 2 seemingly unarmed people. I am not likely to get any more involved than calling 911 but [IF] I did decide to step in, it would not be with a gun. There are likely millions and millions of unarmed assaults that occur yearly and only the smallest percentage of them result in life threatening injury. All I gotta say is that if you are going to point a gun at somebody, you better be right. It seems that this specific action turned out alright for the guy and I am glad. Its just not what I would have done.

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
Maybe . . .
Yeah, but looking at Mr. Julius, he looks like somebody who is capable of mixing it up with or without weapons?

What I like most about Iowa's carry permit is that it is a "permit to carry weapons", basically anything that is not otherwise banned like NFA stuff. This is a good example of a situation where a good pepper spray could come in handy.

·
Registered
33,980 Posts
Yeah, but looking at Mr. Julius, he looks like somebody who is capable of mixing it up with or without weapons?

What I like most about Iowa's carry permit is that it is a "permit to carry weapons", basically anything that is not otherwise banned like NFA stuff. This is a good example of a situation where a good pepper spray could come in handy.
Florida likewise.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I just don't understand some of the responses. The man who intervened on behalf of the older gentleman did not shoot anyone. He only stopped the assault. If the attacker had been a LEO don't you suppose he would have made that fact known? Also, even the man being pummeled had done something to warrant such a violent reaction no one deserves to be beaten to death. So, what is the problem with stopping the carnage?

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I hear what you're saying. Northam is trying his best to turn the state into another New York. I'm seriously considering retirement in the near future. I may just pull up stakes and say good bye to VA. I've enjoyed my 22 years here, but I hate what is happening to the state.
Retire to Southern Wyoming. Its warmer than Montana, Cheyenne has decent medical facilities, and Denver is relatively close for major medical stuff. Wyoming is likely to stay Conservative for quite a while yet.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
There is not quite enough information, in the news story, for me to say what I would have done, or, if/when I would have presented a firearm. A younger assailant, physically assaulting an older complainant, who cannot offer effective defense, would probably cause me to stop, and further evaluate, from a closer vantage point. I would have to keep in mind that I could be witnessing a father-son altercation, or similar familial dispute, which could result in both of them becoming my opponents, either at the scene, or, later, in court.

When I wore a police badge, for a living, I could immediately wade in, without warning, and use plenty of force to bring the situation under control. I would have the law, on my side, even if they were father and son, or uncle and nephew, or whatever. Retirement means being a private citizen, with no more duty to intervene, and no more “qualified immunity” if I do intervene.

I also have to keep in mind that I am approaching my 59th birthday.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I would have stepped up and some would say why ? Simple, I am a lot older than the gentleman getting whipped on and if I get thrown in jail then those powers take on my medical which is costly as it close to time I have to get a battery change or more. 2# when the media finds out that a old man over 80 with a cane and concealed weapons permit stopped the beating which leads to a law firm that says were taking this pro bono for many reasons. 3# I am not going anywhere so I get released OR but while waiting I could have a number of things happen under there care then you can make your own speculation as what happens next.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts