Defensive Carry banner

leave your gun where?

• Yes - I'd leave it with someone I trusted, no questions

Votes: 87 51.2%
  • Absolutely not, I'd keep it somewhere else (storage, family, your own house etc...)

Votes: 44 25.9%
  • Yes, I'd leave it if it were locked up and they didn't use it

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I would only leave it with family, no friends

Votes: 30 17.6%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I look like we'll be traveling to Paris in March for her work for about a month and a half. I'm curious what would be the best route to go in terms of safe storage of my EDC while we're out of the country. So how about you, what would you do?

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Yes.

In fact when I took my family on vacation this past summer being away from the house for 9 days, I took all of my firearms minus one to carry plus my range kit to a friend to store for me in his walk in room safe.
Key though is it must be a person you trust. Even then I had my range kit padlocked and my arms all cased and individually locked as well as secondarily the guns themselves locked as within the cases.
My friend is a MA state LEO and he's as anal about safety as I am. I kept the lock keys with me.

I did not want to deal with the hassle of losing my arms in the off chance that my home is burglarized.
If away from my home for any amount of extended time frame taking my arms to be stored elsewhere is definitely an item I consider and in the past have done.

- Janq

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I voted with family only. I would leave them with my brother, knowing that they would be looked after with care.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I just lock mine in the wall safe.

Two of my neighbors are retired LEO’s and they watch after the house, when were out of town. I do the same for them, when their out of town.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Yes, but the key here is TRUST. It's rather difficult to gain my trust. I don't even trust most of my own family, so that whittles the numbers down to a very low percentage of folks I would be capable of leaving firearms in their care.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
829 Posts
yep with a trusted friend, that is a short list.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
I voted absolutely not, but I guess if it were family I trusted who also had a CHL I might consider it.

It is my habit to dismantle guns I do leave in the house and hide barrel and slide in separate places; guide rod and spring go elsewhere outside and away from the house. (Sometimes my pocket, sometimes a cuby in the car.)

I find it less trouble to do this than to fool with locks and safes and chains---all of which are easily defeated. A dismantled gun with parts missing can't be used. It is safe. Sure, someone might get in and find a part or two and steal it, but at most I'd be out the gun. The thief would have nothing he could use unless he found all the parts or was able to easily replace the lost parts. Last time I needed a new guide-rod and spring it took S&W 7 months to get me one. When I wanted replacement springs for a different gun, I had to go to the Wolf site and actually know something about my gun to order the replacement. That isn't going to be an attractive thing for a thief to do---assuming they had a clue how to do it.

About the only person I would trust with my gun is my son. PERIOD!!!!! Maybe his dad in-law and his LE sister in-law. Otherwise, no way would I give it to anyone.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Yes, but the key here is TRUST. It's rather difficult to gain my trust. I don't even trust most of my own family, so that whittles the numbers down to a very low percentage of folks I would be capable of leaving firearms in their care.:rolleyes:
Agreed.

I know only two people I could trust to such a degree (one in MA the other in VA), and neither are family to any degree. :|

- Janq

·
Registered
894 Posts
I voted "yes, if it were locked up"

I have all ready done this for my best friend. He was going through a divorce and wanted to protect his investment in firearms so he brought his 24 gun safe to my house "for a couple of months"

SEVEN years later he took his safe "home". :rolleyes: I have no idea what firearms were in the safe and I DID NOT HAVE THE COMBINATION.

all I know is, there was at least 20 long guns in the safe. He would come over every now-n-then and take a gun out and put one back

But if I had to, I know my firearms would be perfectly safe with my friend.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I still need to get a safe.

For now, I would trust my parents with them, and that's about it, but they live in another state.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Back when I was in the USAF, I would leave my guns with my brother when I went on an overseas tour. I got them back once I returned. I had to do this 4 times during my career. Glad that's over with (for now)...

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
I have left guns with friends when deploying and have had friend leave guns with me when deploying. If I would have had a safe at that time I would have put them in the safe. If family would have been closer than 2000 miles I would have left with family.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Yep. Have used a friend before. I have stored his guns when he was moving as well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Absolutely. I have several friends that I trust. I would, of course, leave it with them in a locked pistol safe, unloaded.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Yep, the friends I trust could keep them and even use them if they wanted. I have loaned guns to them before.

Hopefully everyone has trustworthy friends or family they could do this with. If not I feel for you. Everyone should at least have a handful of people that are this trustworthy.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't trust many people. I have 2 real "friends". Both of which I have loaned guns to or left guns with. They also have keys to my house and can use anything I own with a phone call or note. Same on their end.

When I got married my wife and I had a talk, I told her that if I am out and they call and need anything to help them. I don't care what they need. She looked at me a little odd but that's how it is. No questions asked.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If I didn't have a safe (which I do) and I didn't have an alarm system that will call the police (which I do), I would absolutely leave them with a trusted friend (who has a gunsafe, alarm and yappy dogs). I might do that anyways if I was going to be out of town for a month and a half.

I can think of one relative I'd leave my guns with.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'd leave it with someone who had the best safe and was home all or most of the time.

I would also make sure it was insured, that my insurance and their would cover it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts