Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know this sounds wieird, but I had the most intense dream last night where 2 thugs were hitting me up for money. The bigger guy pulls out a .22 pistol and shot me 4-5 times in the shoulder and arm (I can still feel the burn). I was carrying my P938 and I unloaded on him center mass and a couple of head shots. It didn't phase him and he kept coming at me. now with a 5 iron and a hammer (you can't make this stuff up).

I always carry 9mm with HST 147 gr and have always felt comfortable with that, but I woke up thinking .45 acp!!! I went to the gun range today and rented an HK USP .45 and shot my P938, G26 & G19. I shot 50 rounds of .45 and 150 rounds of 9mm at 3,5,7 & 10 yards. The target in the center was the .45 (enough said).

Am I overthinking this or should I really consider a .45?

File_000 (20).jpg

Reactions: Sportymonk

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Why not get one? Unless it puts you in financial difficulty go for it!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well, if you want to carry small, you are talking XDs at 5 + 1 rds and still way bigger than the 938 at 7+1.

Is more rounds the answer? You could go for [email protected] in the g19. Or you could go with [email protected] in the g30. But, size and weight wise, there is no comparison to the 938 with those two.

Ever thought about carrying the right gun for the job at hand? Maybe the 938 is plenty good enough for the everyday stuff, but a g30 would be better if you think you might have to traverse some dark and questionable alleys. Maybe a Shield 40 or a g23 are good options...more punch in a still reasonably small Shield or punch plus round count in the g23.

Aw heck, just get one (or three) of every caliber. (Disclaimer...this is what Ive been doing...I just keep adding to the collection. The problem is that the gun isn't the only cost...2-3 holsters per gun-IWB KYDEX, IWB tuckable, OWB- a laser, if you like them, and of course a boatload of ammo.)

Of course, if your wife is superstitious, the dream may help make the case for a new toy...I mean tool...

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
That has to be the CRAZIEST reason/excuse I have ever heard of in order to change up an arsenal and buy a new gun!

Admit it - you just want to buy a .45! WOW!

Ok - so the reason I was joking about that was, because in a dream, I didn't think you actually could kill someone. Seriously, I used to have dreams like that when I was much younger and looked into it thinking that it must of meant "I" was ineffective ... vs you who thinks it's a sign that you need to buy a .45. I was even going to prove it by citing some dream meaning story; when I came across this.

What It Means When You Kill Someone in Your Dreams

So maybe you can dream of killing people?! Who knew - my bad.

Yup, get the .45.

PS - the USP seems to fit your hand better :yup:

·
Registered
10,310 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Well, I won't claim to be an expert on dream analysis, but I'll give it a try - you dreamt that because subconsciously you already believed your firearm to be insufficient. So, why would you believe that?

Either that or it has something to do with sexual dysfunction. Now I'll send you a bill for $1200.

But seriously, if you have misgivings about your caliber, there's nothing wrong with upgrading. I'm not a 9mm hater, but the advice of "carry the most powerful handgun you can shoot well" is sound. Clearly you can shoot the USP just fine, and bigger bullets are bigger.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Ok, I know this sounds wieird, but I had the most intense dream last night where 2 thugs were hitting me up for money. The bigger guy pulls out a .22 pistol and shot me 4-5 times in the shoulder and arm (I can still feel the burn). I was carrying my P938 and I unloaded on him center mass and a couple of head shots. It didn't phase him and he kept coming at me. now with a 5 iron and a hammer (you can't make this stuff up).
Slow your roll, buddy!:wink: That dream, or some variation on it, is actually a pretty common dream. It has nothing to do with your firearm- you could have had a bazooka and it wouldn't have mattered. Supposedly it indicates something in your life you feel uncertain or out of control about. There are many common dream archetypes; you give a speech and suddenly find you're naked, you're eating and all your teeth fall out, you're running from something, you're falling, etc. All of these are common to all cultures. Fighting and seeing your attacks have no effect is a common dream.

But hey- there's no shame in wanting a USP45!:image035:

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
1st problem I have in dreams in no gun, I try to keep that covered.
2nd problem is the 100# trigger, I carry Glocks, trigger not too heavy.
3rd problem is bullets that are ineffective, or bounce off.
4th problem is running out of those ineffective bullets.
Bad dream problems 3 & 4 are addressed by having at least 10 rounds in the pistol (9mm +P or better) and a spare magazine.

Reactions: Paladin3840 and OD*

·
Registered
10,760 Posts
I woke up this morning and was actually thinking about posting a poll about how many people here dream about guns. I had my first dream about guns last night, but I wasn't shooting. I was having a discussion with the former president BHO (he who shall not be named), while open carrying (something I've never done in public, except at the range) and I was carrying a revolver (something I don't own).

I used to have school dreams for years before I retired; i.e., that I had forgotten to go to class for a semester or study for an exam. I used to have offshore dreams, about the period I worked as a commercial diver. But this was the first dream I've ever had about firearms. Does this mean I am supposed to buy a Colt Python? :image035:

·
Registered
281 Posts
The best explanation of dreams I've studied are that they are a way for the brain to symbolically process thoughts, experiences and emotions that we've experienced during our waking hours. This processing is to file all these memories in their proper part of our brains in order for us to function. All this has its foundation in Jungian psychotherapy. If you write down your dreams as soon as you get up you can start to connect dream images to your waking life. It's really quite fascinating.

To sum up, get a plastic striker 45 cal and keep your little sig as a pocket backup. You're subconscious is sending you a message.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I would be cautious about switching from a sub-compact to a more full-size handgun. What I have seen happen all too often, is that the full size becomes harder to conceal/ sacrifice comfort therefore people tend to leave it at home where it will do them no good. That P-938 that is with you 100% of the time will beat the H&K .45 that is with you 80% of the time all the time and every time! I think you already own the solution to your problem! Good luck!

Reactions: 10thmtn

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Dreams like that are common for lots of people.

You get in a fight but your blows are ineffective...your weapon doesn't hurt your enemy - I've had those types of dreams in the past.

These dreams supposedly mean that you feel helpless about a certain facet or event in your life - that something is beyond your control.

That said - if you want a new gun I'll be an enthusiastic enabler - GO FOR IT! You want this gun - no - you NEED this gun in your life!

To answer your question - no I would not let a dream change my EDC caliber. I wouldnt let one stop me from getting a new gun I wanted either though. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Well, I won't claim to be an expert on dream analysis, but I'll give it a try - you dreamt that because subconsciously you already believed your firearm to be insufficient. So, why would you believe that?

Either that or it has something to do with sexual dysfunction. Now I'll send you a bill for $1200.

But seriously, if you have misgivings about your caliber, there's nothing wrong with upgrading. I'm not a 9mm hater, but the advice of "carry the most powerful handgun you can shoot well" is sound. Clearly you can shoot the USP just fine, and bigger bullets are bigger.
That deep rooted fear would be my guess for the scenario in the dream as well.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts