Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can see hunting rifles, but pistols/handguns? Why? A friend asked me if I could lend him one of my pistol. I asked why and he said, "for self defense..." I said no. Told him to go buy himself one. Sounded to me like he wanted to borrow one for self defense forever.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Two grown sons, 9 grandchildren, 4 great-grandchildren and another on the way. I have more than enough trouble keeping my guns locked up in my safes. The word "borrow" has taken on a new meaning in my mind, no longer reflecting a temporary period of time.

When the time is right (for me) I make gifts. Other than that the kids can argue all they want about who gets what when old "grampa" is gone.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I don't load anything to anyone anymore.

I loaned my small generator to a co worker to use on an Elk hunting trip. It took months to get it back and he returned it broken.
I loaned my tent, EZ UP awning, sleeping bags, and Coleman stove & lantern to a friend to use for a weekend at the lake. Everything was abandoned and left behind when a thunderstorm blew in. He never replaced them.
I loaned my travel trailer to a friend for a weekend so he could take his two kids on an RV camp out on their special weekend when he had custody from his recent divorce. When he returned it the electrical cable to the truck receiver had been severed and fixed with duct tape and the antenna was ruined. He never said anything about the damage or offered to pay for it.
I loaned my acoustic guitar to a friend and when I got it back there was a big gouge across the top near the sound hole. When I brought it to his attention he said it was there when I loaned it to him and denied damaging the guitar. What an azz.

Yes, I used to loan things to people but not anymore. I learned my lesson People don't take care of things that they don't have a personal investment in. And I would never.....NEVER....loan a firearm to anyone for any reason. Call me grumpy but who cares. You want something you don't have? Get a job, save your money, and buy it like I did.
Now, get off my lawn!
:)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Depends on the person. My dad? Yes, just about anyone else? Probably not.

If I ever did, I'd probably have the person sign a bill of sale stating they "purchased" it from me and I'd make them give me $10. That way if it was ever used for ANY reason and the cops came knocking..... Nope that isn't my gun, see here they purchased it from me.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Yep! Nope!

·
Registered
806 Posts
...Yes, I used to loan things to people but not anymore. I learned my lesson People don't take care of things that they don't have a personal investment in...
Personal responsibility has been lost from our society.
So has civic responsibility, and moral responsibility as well.

It's been at least three generations since parents taught responsible behavior and responsibility to their children.
It's gonna take four or more to get 'em back...if we start right now, which we won't.

(Golly...I'm beginning to sound like a curmudgeon! Maybe I should start a Christmas-card list.)

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
If someone who I trusted and knew was a competent shooter then I’d have no problem letting someone borrow a gun if they just wanted to go to the range to try it out to see how they liked it or something like that. If they wanted to borrow it to carry it, absolutely not. If I didn’t have confidence in their ability to use it safely, absolutely not.

Reactions: Nifty and M1911A1

·
Registered
561 Posts
I don't understand the question...how do I "borrow" something to someone else?
You have to reenginenglish it.

Only if we were in a shootout with BGs.
About my limit, except for standing right beside them at the range if I've already invited them to shoot it.

Two grown sons, 9 grandchildren, 4 great-grandchildren and another on the way. I have more than enough trouble keeping my guns locked up in my safes. The word "borrow" has taken on a new meaning in my mind, no longer reflecting a temporary period of time.

When the time is right (for me) I make gifts. Other than that the kids can argue all they want about who gets what when old "grampa" is gone.
Aye. There's a section of my will where I spell these things out.

However, there's a key in possession of a friend to whom I have lawfully pre-gifted, complete with papers, a few legal items which will remain in his or her possession until after everything goes through probate. Then and only then, I'm hoping he or she sees fit to give them to certain members of my family whom I'm hoping he would discern might want them.

Friends don't "borrow" guns.
I'm inclined to agree with forester58. In 40+ years of owning and being around guns, not once have I ever asked to borrow anyone's firearm and not once has anyone asked to borrow mine.

I have had a couple of offers, though, such as when my father loaned me two firearms during my earlier years in the Air Force, as well as the time when a friend of mine asked me to go hunting with him one weekend and when I said, "I'd love to but don't have a rifle," he offered to loan me one of his.

Offering and asking, however, are two different things. Technically, both firearms were on loan. Although I never asked to "borrow" them, their return was absolutely both imperative and fully understood. On both occasions, I thoroughly cleaned and lubed them immediately prior to their return.

In my mind, that's substantially different than, "Hey, can I borrow your gun?"

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I have one shooting/hunting/fishing buddy that I would loan a gun. We both have two yer old sons that are a week part so I spend a good deal of time at his place and vice versa. I see how he takes care of guns/tools. I am not really sure what kind of scenario would come up about borrowing one(other than hunting weapons). Maybe if he wanted to get his wife more serious about shooting and he wanted my Ruger MarkIII or a 9mm to take his wife to the range while I watched the boys? Probably not likely anyway.

Never been in a position where someone wanted to borrow a handgun. If a buddy gets a new handgun, of course we want to shoot it but we plan a trip to the range to try it out.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I can see hunting rifles, but pistols/handguns? Why? A friend asked me if I could lend him one of my pistol. I asked why and he said, "for self defense..." I said no. Told him to go buy himself one. Sounded to me like he wanted to borrow one for self defense forever.
He didn't want to borrow it, he wanted to own it.

Now, I have given a 38 revolver to my sister in law as her home defense firearm. I offered it, she didn't ask to "borrow" it. She's shown herself to be proficient with a handgun at the range. And she carries a compact 22 auto in her purse, so she's ahead of my wife in that regard.

·
Banned
705 Posts
There is not enough NO in the World

ETA: I'm not sure "loaned" is the right word but I have let people I was in training with try out a gun of mine because they were considering buying one. I have also tried out other people's guns under the same circumstances but I wouldn't loan someone a gun to be returned at a later date. That would actually be illegal in Colorado anyway.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I loaned my Sig 226 to some gentlemen I worked with overseas. We were not officially authorized to carry but considering where we were, the threat and what we were doing it was prudent.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts