Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a $100 Cabela's gift card and wondering how to spend it. I'm not a very good shooter so I thought I should invest in skill development with my Steyr 9mm. Some options I'm considering

1. Extra ammo to shoot at range

2. Laserlyte laser insert to practice at home (would also need the laserlyte target requiring an additional $130 at Amazon)

LaserLyte Premium Laser Trainer : Cabela's

3. Air pistol to practice at home (such as this Sig P226, but don't know if trigger is realistic or the gun is accurate)

SIG Sauer&#174 P226 .177-Cal. Air Pistol : Cabela's

What do you think is a better investment?

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Sig ran a promo on those air pistols on Friday. I tried to buy one then but they had sold out by the time I got to it. I'd vote for that if you A: Carry a P226 or P229 already, and B: Have a place to shoot it. I already carry big Sigs, and have plenty of land for true training for target acquisition and draw practice with my carry holsters.

Reactions: Expatriate

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I recently had several hundred $$ in Cabela points saved up and used some of them for a new M&P Shield.
But if I had a gift card for $100 I'd use it to buy some high cap mags for whichever firearm I could use them for, rounded up to the nearest dollar, and use the change left over for some .22 ammo.

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
Spend some on a class if they have them. If you are "not a very good shooter" you may need personal assistance with grip, stance, other things that new shooters are not aware of and not terribly likely to learn on their own. We have a GLock style air pistol and it is fun but can't say it helps any with actual shooting. No recoil, different trigger pull, etc.

Then buy mags or ammo with what is left after you get good instruction and become "a better shooter".

My opinion from my own years from rank beginner to where I am now: Not the fastest by a long shot, but really accurate. And also my opinion from watching self taught people "shoot". Often makes me shudder.

Reactions: StormRhydr

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
The Air Pistol

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Depends on their ammo prices. If they are like Big 5 and charge $5 dollars more for every box of ammo then I would use the $100 dollars for something more value priced.

·
Registered
779 Posts
How to spend it? Quietly. Very very quietly. I wouldn't even let us know. Unless you like being talked into using it to get your wife North Face active wear. I have learned not to mention when I get a gift card from work.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Ammo for sure. I have all the optional stuff I can use or have a place to put it. For $100, I can get 200 rounds of .45acp ammo.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
ammo

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I've got a $100 Cabela's gift card and wondering how to spend it. I'm not a very good shooter so I thought I should invest in skill development with my Steyr 9mm. Some options I'm considering

1. Extra ammo to shoot at range

2. Laserlyte laser insert to practice at home (would also need the laserlyte target requiring an additional $130 at Amazon)

LaserLyte Premium Laser Trainer : Cabela's

3. Air pistol to practice at home (such as this Sig P226, but don't know if trigger is realistic or the gun is accurate)

SIG Sauer&#174 P226 .177-Cal. Air Pistol : Cabela's

What do you think is a better investment?

I'd opt for the Laser trainer. The trainer won't make you an expert but they don't make any noise and will be fun to play with indoors. Air pistols can be fun but if you have close neighbors and want to shoot outside, they might call the cops even if they are legal to shoot on your property. If you do buy a pellet pistol, I'd suggest PyramydAir anyhow. SIG Sauer P226 CO2 Pellet Pistol, Black. Air guns - PyramydAir.com.

Wait for ammo to go on sale or save up an buy in bulk. Here's a good place to look for deals: https://www.google.com/search?q=Sig+P226+pellet+gun&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=wikiarms

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think I'd go laser trainer. The $100 in ammo will get used up. The trainer will give you a lifetime of training and you still get to use your actual gun.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Ammo

·
Registered
100 Posts
Get the Laser Cartridge and you don't need the target . The laser dot will show up on most anything.
I have 9m/m , .40 S&W and .45ACP Laser Cartridges as well as the target but hardly ever use it.
I like to walk around the house or shop , look for a target , draw and shoot it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts