Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....I'd give an arm and a leg.
Now, I don't want to ruffle feathers, but if you are a younger shooter on the black tactical plastical guns, you don't know what you are missing.

Took my M65 out today. As some of you know I had it sent in for work because of too many hot loads and abuse. Well I took it out today and was just as impressed as the day I bought it.
Here it is, in need of cleaning.
image.jpg
Targets at 25 yards and 10 yards, all double action. Combined 38 spl and 357 magnum loads.
image.jpg
image.jpg
It's nice having a gun that shoots so well, and can do so many things from target work, SD, and hunting bigfoot.
Hell, I almost traded my Glock 27 for a LNIB M36 with nickel finish. And this was an old gun, not the new reproductions.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
Nice "hook" in the title, Gman. Got me good!

In my humble opinion, the K-frame is the most aesthetically pleasing revolver. While the L frames have the beef and do indeed look nice, they can't hold a candle to the K's.

Let's see how long it takes you to shoot this one loose!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
.....I'd give an arm and a leg.
Now, I don't want to ruffle feathers, but if you are a younger shooter on the black tactical plastical guns, you don't know what you are missing.

Took my M65 out today. As some of you know I had it sent in for work because of too many hot loads and abuse. Well I took it out today and was just as impressed as the day I bought it.

Here it is, in need of cleaning.
View attachment 91398
Targets at 25 yards and 10 yards, all double action. Combined 38 spl and 357 magnum loads.
View attachment 91399
View attachment 91400
It's nice having a gun that shoots so well, and can do so many things from target work, SD, and hunting bigfoot.
Hell, I almost traded my Glock 27 for a LNIB M36 with nickel finish. And this was an old gun, not the new reproductions.
You really had me there for a minute man...lol

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice "hook" in the title, Gman. Got me good!

In my humble opinion, the K-frame is the most aesthetically pleasing revolver. While the L frames have the beef and do indeed look nice, they can't hold a candle to the K's.

Let's see how long it takes you to shoot this one loose!
I'm going g to throttle down the loads some. If I need them, I already have the load in my data book. I think that my 38spl loads that step in to magnum country should do just fine with the hardcast Keith bullets.
I'll keep'em at about 1100fps.

·
Registered
36,192 Posts
You missed the X ring twice at 10 yards? Man, time to retire...:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
19,380 Posts
That's the kind of post that just warms my heart and makes me feel all is right in the world. Just HOW OLD is that gun? And after a trip back to Springfield it shoots that well... that's just beyond cool.

And newcomers and non-S&W fans note, this is a fixed-sight gun. Standard front blade, but the rear sight is effectively a groove in the top strap. No Bo-Mar, no Eliason, Heinie or Novak here. Not even a lot of contrast, with stainless-on-stainless.

As Hannibal Smith used to say, "I love it when a plan comes together." In this case, the plan is a solid gun, good ammo, and a skilled shooter to run 'em.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Buy all the semi-autos you want. Get a Glock, whatevs.

But always, no matter what, get a S&W revolver for your lineup. They are not cheap and you'll spend some more money setting the gun up the way you want, but these are the Ferraris of the gun world. When the chips are down, I want my Smith at my side.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I agree that those plastic guns are not the quality made guns such as S&W builds. Many of my S&W have seen thousands of rounds come out of the barrels.

Yet the younger generation has been exposed to the plastics like Glock and no nothing about quality, fit & finish of a gunsmith built gun.

However I do have a question for those in the thread. I have heard many mention a plugged nickel. Never saw one and if I did, I did not know what one would be. Can someone show me a plugged nickel or tell me what to look for in order to find one.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
You guys will be the death of me. I am currently on the hunt for a 65 or 19 for the exact reasons you posted. They are becoming more rare and figure eventually they will be like pythons, so overpriced they will never trade hands. Nice to see that old gun. How old is she Glockman?

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the term is for a nickel that someone, thru some means, punched a hole in. Since they only worth 5 cents, and rendered worthless, I think the old timers " coined" the phrase back in the day when 5 cents could actually buy something, to show their lack of desire for comparison.

I have seen old nickels with holes drilled in them for what I suppose is to wear on a necklace or something.
I have seen my grandfather toss a few in the air for shooting with his 22 rifle and get " plugged".

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You guys will be the death of me. I am currently on the hunt for a 65 or 19 for the exact reasons you posted. They are becoming more rare and figure eventually they will be like pythons, so overpriced they will never trade hands. Nice to see that old gun. How old is she Glockman?
Let's see, best I can remember, I had it before 1986 when I joined the service, and carried it often on duty back in the 90's when we were still carrying revolvers.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Yep my 57 Chevrolet was a blast to drive and great to look at. But it didn't have power steering nor air conditioning and if you went in a puddle the brakes faded for twenty minutes. You had to reset the points and change plugs every 3K miles.

Now my Dodge truck with air power steering cruise control and air rides is what I drive and take to the long back country.

My point is my revolvers are nice to a point but my Sig 239 is what I am going to take with me on that drive in my Dodge.

Life does move on and there is probably several reasons why the wheel guns are not carried today.

Move into the century get you a tat or two and put one of those holes in your ear.

Just for you older folks now for me a late model 1947 I want a semi. That's right 1947 not 1847

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes time does move on. Lots of really neat guns. Im one of those here who have made the transition and seen the move from revolver to semi auto. Hell, I owned one of the first Glocks sold in this country.

Problem is, the capacity of the shooters have not kept pace with the capacity of the gun.
And speaking as one who has lived thru the transition, I'm here to tell you, there is nothing to be gained, nor advantage to be had, providing the skill is there, that an auto has over a revolver.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I don't know what you'd qualify me at 27, but I was all about semi-autos the first few years I came of age to start buying my own handguns. Then I bought a S&W 65 used for about $300 (It's beat up, but it shoots like a dream!) and now almost all I want to buy are revolvers!

Great shooting, and that is one nice looking 65.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have to throw in here, since it was brought up, that since I have become a serious revolver fan I have been shooting ALL of my handguns FAR better than I had been before.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Yep, you caught me, too. And me having just bought my first brand new S&W and putting 20 shots through it.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts