Defensive Carry banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
18,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
:rolleyes:

GMan,
I raised so much Cain on your other thread that I wasn't about to fall for the "plugged nickel" reference--I remembered you were going to start a thread on your repaired gun. She will shoot, there's no doubt about it.

My only concern is, why'd you let the Mod. 36 get away? I look forward to a thread on that gun. . .no disrespect to your Glock 27, but you can replace it anytime. (C'mon, you know you want it. . .)

We are like the old soldiers who just couldn't get all hot & bothered about the M1, so they hung onto their '03 Springfields as long as they could. Maybe a better analogy is the M14 vs. the M16. My brother was in a Marine infantry battalion in Hawaii in early '67 before going to 3/9 at Con Thien in September. He had scored 2nd in his battalion with the M14, and then the M16 they handed him upon arrival in a combat zone was effectively a single shot. So many jams that he kept an assembled cleaning rod stuck in the handguard so he could ram out the stuck casing after every shot. Said he felt like Daniel Boone or Davy Crockett. He later "upgraded" to a smooth-functioning M16, but still has a soft spot for the M14 almost 50 years later.

I look forward to a future thread in which you stack the 65 and 36, fire simultaneously at about 3-7 yards, and show us targets about as good as these :) I have fooled around with such things on occasion, and the similarity in action makes it perfectly natural to pull both triggers simultaneously and get hits on two separate targets, up close, with both targets fairly close together (like a 2-on-1 robbery or assault might develop). Not generally the most practical technique, of course, but it could come in handy. To stack one gun high and one low and point-shoot a single close target is easy: effectively 2 trigger pulls, 4 holes in target. To "cover" two BG's simultaneously in a parking lot at night would give both of them 5-6 reasons to consider changing jobs, rather than just the unlucky joker facing your single gun.
I really do want that j frame. He has two; one nickel and one blue. I hate myself of letting it go!
Heck I might call and see if they are open today !

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
I have one nickel Modle 36 in hand (well #1 does) and a second J frame, a Model 37 in blue coming.

·
Registered
18,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #63

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have one nickel Modle 36 in hand (well #1 does) and a second J frame, a Model 37 in blue coming.
Gator,
You know we are "visual learners" and want pictures!

I have another full day's work to finish setting up my reloading area in the new house, and then I'll try to post some pictures of the old-school sidearms I hope to feed copious amounts of handloads this summer.

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
Show off!
GM , you know #1 was ,and still is, primarily a revolver girl . So, the nickel 36 is already hers as is a Model 12 . (And a Super ) .The Model 37 may become my tuxedo gun , provided one of the daughters doesn't borrow it from me

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
Gator,
You know we are "visual learners" and want pictures!

I have another full day's work to finish setting up my reloading area in the new house, and then I'll try to post some pictures of the old-school sidearms I hope to feed copious amounts of handloads this summer.
I'm hoping to pick up a Dillion Reloader because it gets cheaper ,particularly with .41 Magnum and the like

·
Super Moderator
18,428 Posts
Smith & Wesson revolvers? I loathe 'em! Especially plugging away with a nickel one for an hour this afternoon.

And, if you believe that then have I ever got a bridge to sell you!

Just came in from cleaning one of the loathsome things after a splendid time had at the range earlier today. It's that ratty ol' Smith & Wesson revolver's fault that my pickup is now muddy and also requires cleaning. The revolver made me drive up that road that goes beside the cotton field and leads to the range and that is always muddy a day after a couple of inches of rain. Mean ol revolver!

Who likes great big N-Frame Smith & Wessons? I know I don't. Especially with well-balanced 4-inch barrels having shrouded ejector rods. They're monstrous when named the Heavy Duty model and chambered for the .38 Special. It's too easy to shoot their smooth actions well enough in both single-action and double-action mode and their weight and balance soak up too much recoil, especially with heavy handloads which makes them too easy to control well at self-defense distances. They make me wonder if a battery of N-Frame Smith & Wesson revolvers in all the usual chamberings wouldn't be the best of the best for close in revolver defensive work. Then my equally loathsome K-Frame Smith & Wessons will be jealous. The big N-Frame Smith & Wessons are too much fun to shoot as well. Fun like that breeds discontent. Discontent because a pleasant Monday Memorial Day holiday is over and I won't be able to return to the range tomorrow for more fun. See what classic Smith & Wessons cause.

Gman's newly returned gun shot better than mine did today though. Gman can shoot "a house afire!" He could probably wring out a nickel revolver with glint-y sights and make it shoot astounding groups.

·
Registered
18,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Smith & Wesson revolvers? I loathe 'em! Especially plugging away with a nickel one for an hour this afternoon.

And, if you believe that then have I ever got a bridge to sell you!

Just came in from cleaning one of the loathsome things after a splendid time had at the range earlier today. It's that ratty ol' Smith & Wesson revolver's fault that my pickup is now muddy and also requires cleaning. The revolver made me drive up that road that goes beside the cotton field and leads to the range and that is always muddy a day after a couple of inches of rain. Mean ol revolver!

Who likes great big N-Frame Smith & Wessons? I know I don't. Especially with well-balanced 4-inch barrels having shrouded ejector rods. They're monstrous when named the Heavy Duty model and chambered for the .38 Special. It's too easy to shoot their smooth actions well enough in both single-action and double-action mode and their weight and balance soak up too much recoil, especially with heavy handloads which makes them too easy to control well at self-defense distances. They make me wonder if a battery of N-Frame Smith & Wesson revolvers in all the usual chamberings wouldn't be the best of the best for close in revolver defensive work. Then my equally loathsome K-Frame Smith & Wessons will be jealous. The big N-Frame Smith & Wessons are too much fun to shoot as well. Fun like that breeds discontent. Discontent because a pleasant Monday Memorial Day holiday is over and I won't be able to return to the range tomorrow for more fun. See what classic Smith & Wessons cause.

Gman's newly returned gun shot better than mine did today though. Gman can shoot "a house afire!" He could probably wring out a nickel revolver with glint-y sights and make it shoot astounding groups.
You give me waaay to much credit Bryon. I've seen what you and a few others on here can do, and I ain't put 'in no money to lose up on myself. I figure we are all in that " any given day " bracket:)

But I sure fancy that big iron you got there. Wouldn't be a bad day shooting that even if the front sight caught a little too much glint!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Bryan,
That photo would count as psychological warfare, except we're on the same side. . . .Do you wear that .38-44 in your Sunday-go-to-meetin' "Jelly Bryce" duds? One reason I rarely get or keep a nickel-plated gun is that I can't make it look like that.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,432 Posts
My 8 3/8" 29-2 and 4" 29-2 .44 magnums and my wife's J-frame .357 magnums.

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
I enjoy shooting my Model 65 more than any other pistol that I have.

It must have been hard to wear one out enough that it needed to go back to S&W

·
Registered
18,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I enjoy shooting my Model 65 more than any other pistol that I have.

It must have been hard to wear one out enough that it needed to go back to S&W
It still shot well. But I noticed the timing was off when I started having light primer strikes in Double action. I had no idea the yoke was damaged or the strain screw needed replacing.
But you can do a lot of shooting in 30 years.

·
Registered
464 Posts
GMan,
Take a look at this old Colt catalog from 1933: http://historicalgmen.squarespace.com/storage/33Colt Manual.pdf

They calmly recommend use of everything from .38 Short Colt up to .38-44, even from Detective and Police Positive Specials.

Heck, in this letter, the FBI cited the .38 Special's 158g velocity as 1125 fps, with the "flat nose" .38-44 providing even more foot-pounds of energy. This agent's sole stated criteria on the .38 vs. .45 Auto debate were: velocity, energy, penetration of pine boards.

Hard to find 158g .357 lead non-CAS ammo on MidwayUSA, but Magtech's is listed at 1235, Ultramax 1300. So, practically shooting .357's from a 21 ounce Colt! Don't feel too badly about beating up your revolver with heavy loads :)

Oh, and the .45 ACP discussed in the FBI paper was a 200g at 900, like Browning originally intended. (He goes on to say that military 230g ammo was even slower, with less energy and penetration.)

·
Super Moderator
18,428 Posts
Great scgunlover1!

Though I've shot one really nice Beretta automatic shotgun that a fellow skeet league member owned that was so nice. I've kept it in the back of my head for years as a possible acquisition.

In general, I hold the opinion that the stainless steel Smith & Wessons aren't generally quite as smooth as the carbon steel models.

One thing about it. With those two barrel lengths, you have .357 Magnum covered: hunting, target shooting, and self-defense.

·
Registered
18,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
GMan,
Take a look at this old Colt catalog from 1933: http://historicalgmen.squarespace.com/storage/33Colt Manual.pdf

They calmly recommend use of everything from .38 Short Colt up to .38-44, even from Detective and Police Positive Specials.

Heck, in this letter, the FBI cited the .38 Special's 158g velocity as 1125 fps, with the "flat nose" .38-44 providing even more foot-pounds of energy. This agent's sole stated criteria on the .38 vs. .45 Auto debate were: velocity, energy, penetration of pine boards.

Hard to find 158g .357 lead non-CAS ammo on MidwayUSA, but Magtech's is listed at 1235, Ultramax 1300. So, practically shooting .357's from a 21 ounce Colt! Don't feel too badly about beating up your revolver with heavy loads :)

Oh, and the .45 ACP discussed in the FBI paper was a 200g at 900, like Browning originally intended. (He goes on to say that military 230g ammo was even slower, with less energy and penetration.)
There's another bullet type out there that looks real good to me; the Thompson bullet. Right now I'm looking for a mould for this profile.
Yes sir! Other than capacity, there is really no advantage over the 38 spl when properly loaded other than high capacity. I still think that for reasonable self defense concerns by most of Mr and Mrs America, a good 38 spl revolver is about as useful and good as it gets.
I am also looking at procuring an old beater M10 in good mechanical shape to further my exploration in to the maximum potential of the 38spl:)

·
Registered
789 Posts
Great scgunlover1!

Though I've shot one really nice Beretta automatic shotgun that a fellow skeet league member owned that was so nice. I've kept it in the back of my head for years as a possible acquisition.

In general, I hold the opinion that the stainless steel Smith & Wessons aren't generally quite as smooth as the carbon steel models.

One thing about it. With those two barrel lengths, you have .357 Magnum covered: hunting, target shooting, and self-defense.
I also have a nickel 4" that I bought ~35 years ago too. So now I have a 2, 4 & 6" K frames.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
That's awesome...love shooting my 5" 686...so much stinkin fun!

61 - 80 of 102 Posts