Defensive Carry banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Help me out--Thompson bullet profile?
Ray Thompson. He was a forest ranger. His bullet deviated from Keith's in that from front driving band was smaller but the frontal profile was longer. His bullet designs were gas checked, but can be found and used without the check.
image.jpg

·
Registered
464 Posts
Ray Thompson. He was a forest ranger. His bullet deviated from Keith's in that from front driving band was smaller but the frontal profile was longer. His bullet designs were gas checked, but can be found and used without the check.
View attachment 91527
Those are some nice-looking bullets. I presume the longer ogive is to reduce drag, retain velocity, increase effective range?

Can't resist a hokey comment here: I like the Thompson bullet profile in my avatar :) Now THAT old warhorse would pretty much be my idea of the ultimate home defense weapon! One of the benefits of teaching history at West Point was the annual historical weapons shoot.

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Those are some nice-looking bullets. I presume the longer ogive is to reduce drag, retain velocity, increase effective range?
Not really sure LM. I read somewhere that it was to. " true " the bullet more quickly as it past into the barrel.
But according to John Taffin, Thompson was a bullet designer genius, and like Keith killed a lot of game.
I just like the profile and want to try some.

·
Registered
464 Posts
[/QUOTE] I just like the profile and want to try some.[/QUOTE]

And that, friends, is reason enough. Sometimes my wife even acknowledges that :)

And hey, long ogive = less bullet in case = more room for powder!

·
Registered
11 Posts
As I had the Keith HP mold already for .38Spl. I thought I would see if I could make the bullet work in my 9mm.

I found that in seating the bullet with a standard top punch, it would swell a little and not allow the cartridge
to chamber. This was my cure. a new "Top Punch" shaped like the HP core.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
However I do have a question for those in the thread. I have heard many mention a plugged nickel. Never saw one and if I did, I did not know what one would be. Can someone show me a plugged nickel or tell me what to look for in order to find one.
I think the term is for a nickel that someone, thru some means, punched a hole in. Since they only worth 5 cents, and rendered worthless, I think the old timers " coined" the phrase back in the day when 5 cents could actually buy something, to show their lack of desire for comparison.

I have seen old nickels with holes drilled in them for what I suppose is to wear on a necklace or something.
I have seen my grandfather toss a few in the air for shooting with his 22 rifle and get " plugged".
FWIW-

Close, it was a form of early counterfeiting. yes, drilling a hole, to get the silver, but then filling the hole back in after w/ tin or something. so not so much making fake money as stealing it from real money. I guess a smart reason no one makes gold or silver coins as currency anymore. I think there was even a way they used to counterfeit an actual silver coin, but either make it too thin, or layer it like a hamburger and make the center out of non-precious metals. less sure about the latter.

plug nickel - Wiktionary

Not worth a plugged nickel

plugging%20example.png

oh yeah, nice gun. the only revolver I've ever shot that was as nice as a S&W is my old Python. though it's a 6 incher, I really want a 4" .357.....

EDIT- Ironically, I think original "plug coins" or other counterfeits are actually more valuable as collectors pieces now, as they are more rare, could be worng about this, could also be only coin specific

Reactions: ccw9mm and G-man*

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I have one of the older pencil barreled model 10's with the 5" barrel.. wouldnt trade it for anything. Smiths only get better the longer you own them..

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I almost traded my Glock 27 for a LNIB M36 with nickel finish. And this was an old gun, not the new reproductions.

YOU SHOULD HAVE !!!! Would be owner of twice the gun. Than a glock A classic all steel premium S&W revolver That has more soul in firing pin . That that cheap to make plastic wonder. Could ever have . I would never trade either of my 2 M36 or M49 for a truck load of blocks .

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I have 2 S&W revolvers that I have had for 45 and 48 years and still take them to the range every week. One is a .357 and one is a .38.

Today, I bought another one, a compact model 638 for a BUG. I haven't fired today's purchase yet, probably have to wait until tomorrow.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,436 Posts
I like my Ruger revolvers. I really like my S&W revolvers. I love my Colt revolvers. :yup:

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
When I read the thread title, I immediately started counting my ...plugged nickels. Cuz' I'll spend 'em ALL!

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
.....I'd give an arm and a leg.
Now, I don't want to ruffle feathers, but if you are a younger shooter on the black tactical plastical guns, you don't know what you are missing.
I'm with ya, g-man.

A 4" S&W k-frame is just right in so many ways. I have several and they point and shoot so naturally.

It's no mystery why they were the sidearms of choice for just about every LE agency in the country for decades.

Reactions: PhaedrusIV

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I'm with ya, g-man.

A 4" S&W k-frame is just right in so many ways. I have several and they point and shoot so naturally.

It's no mystery why they were the sidearms of choice for just about every LE agency in the country for decades.
Don't know what you're talkin' about... :smile:

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
And here I am , over 6 years after starting this thread, and I still wouldn’t give a plugged nickel for one....

In the last 2 weeks I just have over $1400 for two new ones:)

An M60 ( currently in route back to the factory for a clocked barrel), and a M629 44 magnum.

Both excellent guns despite the Hillary Hole.

Seems like S&W has been turning out a lot of revolvers with clocked barrels. This is my second j frame in a couple of years with that issue.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Some guns truly are timeless!

81 - 100 of 102 Posts